Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a job

Finding a job

Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

At first it's tough. Everyone (mainly the wife's family) seemed to think that I would get my work permit Monday and start a job Tuesday. It's not so easy. After applying for more than 100 jobs (unsuccessfully) I realised a few things about the US job market.

1 They really seem to check up on references and past work history, at least for anything approaching a good legitimate job. They just can't be bothered with, and are very suspicious of, taking references from foreign countries.

2 The job market is pretty competative at the moment and it's just easier for them to avoid potential headaches by hiring an equally qualified US citizen.

3 Many, many advertised jobs don't actually exist. I was told numerous times, sometimes after seemingly successful interviews, that they'd given the job to the temp who's been doing it for a year already!

4 Many employers don't understand foreign education and qualifications and make a presumtion that they're inferior to US equivalents. I gave up trying to explain GCSE's and A-Levels, what a 2:1 degree meant and that a PGCE is post-grad, but not a masters. I spent the money on an official qualification conversion.

5 Be careful about THINKING you've been offered a job. Several times I seemed to be offered a position at the end of an interview, only to find out when I later called that I hadn't. It's been explained to me that this is because the interviewer doesn't want to dissappoint you and make you unhappy and so leads you to assume you're successful!!!

6 America doesn't seem to have the same laws about openly advertising positions. Many, many jobs are only ever advertised internally and networking is seen as a natural way of finding out about such positions. I got my first job through a friend of a friend, the second through a legitimate interview and a third through the contacts I made there. Getting your foot in the door is EVERYTHING here.

7 Every company seems to have an internal job listings newsletter that gets emailed to employees. Try and get everyone you and your partner know to add your email for receiving such bulletins. The jobs tend to be genuine and the fact that you know someone affiliated with the company is an instant reference.

8 Learn to be a little pushy. Europeans, I think, are a little wary of seeming too forward. In America it's perfectly acceptable to go to a family gathering and say you're looking for work and give evryone your details. I did this with everyone I spoke to for more than 5 minutes - and it really pays off. Sell yourself.

9 Resign yourself to the fact that your first job isn't going to be the job of your dreams. Hopefully it will pay above minimum wage, but beggars can't be choosers. Take any job offered, add it to your resume, get a written reference and move on.

10 Try and remember that after a month of unemployment, it isn't America trying to screw you over and treat immigrants like dirt. It would be just as difficult in any foreign country.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dant3
<<snip>>

1 They really seem to check up on references and past work history, at least for anything approaching a good legitimate job. They just can't be bothered with, and are very suspicious of, taking references from foreign countries.
What you wrote is a bit confusing. In one sentence, you imply that references are taken seriously but in the next sentence you write that employers are suspicious of taking references from overseas. So, if employers are that serious about getting references from prospective employees, they should not baulk at getting the reference, wherever it is. Of course, it is helpful to have the reference given in English so the reference can be comprehended.

In my experience (and I didn't quite apply for 100 jobs but it would've been more than 30), I did make it clear (I am in my first job in the US) that all my referees were in the UK and I didn't get the impression that this caused any concern. I suppose it depends on the employer.

2 The job market is pretty competative at the moment and it's just easier for them to avoid potential headaches by hiring an equally qualified US citizen.
Pretty competitive is an understatement.

3 Many, many advertised jobs don't actually exist. I was told numerous times, sometimes after seemingly successful interviews, that they'd given the job to the temp who's been doing it for a year already!
This scenario occurs in the UK too.

4 Many employers don't understand foreign education and qualifications and make a presumtion that they're inferior to US equivalents. I gave up trying to explain GCSE's and A-Levels, what a 2:1 degree meant and that a PGCE is post-grad, but not a masters. I spent the money on an official qualification conversion.
I Americanized my resume so that it would be immediately comprehensible to Americans. I never once had a question about my academic qualifications. I've written about this several times on this forum. I don't know what you mean by official. If you had it done by a company in the US, it would be no more official than your friend doing it. The companies that provide academic equivalence services are not regulated so anyone can set up a business like this.

5 Be careful about THINKING you've been offered a job. Several times I seemed to be offered a position at the end of an interview, only to find out when I later called that I hadn't. It's been explained to me that this is because the interviewer doesn't want to dissappoint you and make you unhappy and so leads you to assume you're successful!!!

6 America doesn't seem to have the same laws about openly advertising positions. Many, many jobs are only ever advertised internally and networking is seen as a natural way of finding out about such positions. I got my first job through a friend of a friend, the second through a legitimate interview and a third through the contacts I made there. Getting your foot in the door is EVERYTHING here.
Networking is a way of life for Americans. It can be kind of crass but Americans don't flinch in using any kind of connection to find work and other things (like how I found my hairdresser but that's another story).

[QUOTE] 7 Every company seems to have an internal job listings newsletter that gets emailed to employees. Try and get everyone you and your partner know to add your email for receiving such bulletins. The jobs tend to be genuine and the fact that you know someone affiliated with the company is an instant reference.

8 Learn to be a little pushy. Europeans, I think, are a little wary of seeming too forward. In America it's perfectly acceptable to go to a family gathering and say you're looking for work and give evryone your details. I did this with everyone I spoke to for more than 5 minutes - and it really pays off. Sell yourself.

9 Resign yourself to the fact that your first job isn't going to be the job of your dreams. Hopefully it will pay above minimum wage, but beggars can't be choosers. Take any job offered, add it to your resume, get a written reference and move on.
I think's entirely up to the individual to decide whether they want to take a job. Taking any job offered may be feasible if one is single, renting and has no kids. Throw in any number of factors like being married, owning a house, having a loan on one or more vehicles, and having a kid/kids, and your suggestion is far from a winner.

10 Try and remember that after a month of unemployment, it isn't America trying to screw you over and treat immigrants like dirt. It would be just as difficult in any foreign country.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

To clarify, I just got the impression that the employer actually intended contacting previous employers and checking references, which certainly hasn't been my experience in England. The problem then arose that all my previous employers and referees were in the UK. Despite my providing contact details, going as far as giving email addresses from bosses I had 5 years ago, employers seemed very wary of accepting any info from abroad as valid.

As for the education and qualifications, I paid for an 'official' evaluation because that was what a college here demanded in order to even look at an application for studying there. But you're right about them being Mickey Mouse outfits. I got the distinct impression that the company that had the power to get me into college was run by an old woman out of her kitchen in Koreatown.

I'm not sure how you figure a crap job is worse than no job at all! I've just read a lot of people on these boards moaning that they can't step straight into their dream job and it just strikes me as unrealistic. I don't see what is to be gained from being unemployed for a year because you consider yourself above getting your hands dirty. Immigrants can't be choosy, as the Iraqi surgeon who delivered my newspaper in Leeds often told me.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:37 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dant3
<<snip>>

I'm not sure how you figure a crap job is worse than no job at all!
No, that's not what I wrote. I shall be explicit. Rather than accept a poorly paying job, many Brits persevere to get, not a "dream job" as you put it, simply a job suited to their previous work history and qualifications back in the UK.

I've just read a lot of people on these boards moaning that they can't step straight into their dream job and it just strikes me as unrealistic. I don't see what is to be gained from being unemployed for a year because you consider yourself above getting your hands dirty. Immigrants can't be choosy, as the Iraqi surgeon who delivered my newspaper in Leeds often told me.
I think you're reading too much into some people's posts about job hunting. I don't think that many are aiming for a "dream job" but a job appropriate to what they did before moving to the US. I've repeated this again to make it clear that there's few out there who think they can make it into their "dream job" when arriving in the US.

Your example of the Iraqi surgeon is a poor one. Not only will that person have to master the English language but he'll have to re-qualify in medicine and as a surgeon before performing any surgeries. That takes years and lots of money.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by occl
From what I've heard, they only keep the resume for 6 months. And there's no point of applying for jobs before you got the actual work permit (which I won't have until 3 months after I arrive in America next summer). So what I'm doing now is just waiting and trying to do as much research as possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Ola
All down to supply and demand.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

resu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by veryfunny
All down to supply and demand.
High supply for Americans with similar degree and experience = low demand of foreigns with that degree and experience?

Ola
Sweden
Old Jul 18th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

High supply for Americans with similar degree and experience = low demand of foreigns with that degree and experience?

Ola
Sweden
Yes, the economy is weak right now and everyone is crying job out sourcing to India. So if I were you I will post my CV/resume on these online job places etc.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, the economy is weak right now and everyone is crying job out sourcing to India. So if I were you I will post my CV/resume on these online job places etc.
Well if I live in the U.S. it won't be outsourcing. Sorry if I wasn't clear enought - with foreigner I meant immigrant.

Ola
Sweden
Old Jul 18th 2004, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well if I live in the U.S. it won't be outsourcing. Sorry if I wasn't clear enought - with foreigner I meant immigrant.

Ola
Sweden
In America right now we are going through a recession which to a lot of Americans is that there a few well paid jobs like they used to and that some of the American companies are out sourcing their work to other countries. Which in turns reduces jobs in this country etc.

This has caused some stir in some political circles and since we are in an electron year we will hear more about this during this year end. What I was trying to say to you is that, not only are Americans chasing jobs (the few good paying jobs), so are the new visitors to this country hence putting a strain on the already few jobs here.

If you are looking for a job in your field then, you have to go against the competition which is already out there. If you just want any job then that may come more easy.

Finally, If you want a job you will get one but be realistic. Only people with really rare experience and skills get jobs very quick, plus you have the green card issue to worry about. An EAD is good but some employers see it as a risk to hire a person with one.

Either way, I wish you the best in whatever you end up doing.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

In America right now we are going through a recession which to a lot of Americans is that there a few well paid jobs like they used to and that some of the American companies are out sourcing their work to other countries. Which in turns reduces jobs in this country etc.

This has caused some stir in some political circles and since we are in an electron year we will hear more about this during this year end. What I was trying to say to you is that, not only are Americans chasing jobs (the few good paying jobs), so are the new visitors to this country hence putting a strain on the already few jobs here.

If you are looking for a job in your field then, you have to go against the competition which is already out there. If you just want any job then that may come more easy.

Finally, If you want a job you will get one but be realistic. Only people with really rare experience and skills get jobs very quick, plus you have the green card issue to worry about. An EAD is good but some employers see it as a risk to hire a person with one.

Either way, I wish you the best in whatever you end up doing.
Yeah and on top of that I come straight outta college and have almost no experience and a degree which is not rare at all (master in general business).. plus no money. Love is all I have and I hope it'll make me survive for awhile couse it sure looks dark right now..

Ola
Old Jul 18th 2004, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah and on top of that I come straight outta college and have almost no experience and a degree which is not rare at all (master in general business).. plus no money. Love is all I have and I hope it'll make me survive for awhile couse it sure looks dark right now..

Ola
Just be realistic, If you can, you will fair well and better than some who have extra rosey tinted glassess on and expect 3 cars and a mansion in 6 months.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 10:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job

When you say 'work permit' what precisely do you mean?

Most US work permits require sponsorship from a company.

One option to look for a job in the US (although usually you still need work rights there) is to make direct approaches to Swedish (or other Scandinavian) companies based in the US. Or to American companies dealing with that part of the world. For a corporation like that, your background would give you an advantage over the American next in line.

Jeremy

Could you share your experiences in being a foreigner and finding a job in the U.S.?

Do American companies "trust" foreigners?

Do they accept accents and people having other native tongues?

Do they have understandings for foreign educations?

I know it's more or less impossible to get a work permit unless a company in your home country transfers you, but that's not what I'm asking for. I've searched all over the web for experiences on finding jobs in America being a foreigner and living there, but can't really find what I'm looking for.

I'm Swedish and will move to the U.S. next year and get my work permit within a couple of months. I need a job, but to be honest I'm more than abit worried. I got a 4-year degree from Sweden (master degree in business) and could easily get a good job here, but have no clue about my future in America.

Thanks for any kind of help, advice or comments.

Ola