British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Finding family health insurance for the US while in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/finding-family-health-insurance-us-while-uk-882768/)

Trow1982 Sep 3rd 2016 8:36 am

Finding family health insurance for the US while in the UK

Dear all, please can anyone advise me on finding family health insurance for the US. We currently live in the UK but are looking at moving to FLorida in March 2017. The quotes I've been getting are around £1000 a month for us? Is this correct and would we be looking at paying the extreme amount a month? Surly every family in the US don't pay this much??
I would love to hear off u, thank you x

christmasoompa Sep 3rd 2016 8:41 am

Re: Finding family health insurance for the US while in the UK

Sounds about right to me from what I've seen on the forum.

But you might want to give more info to get the best responses - how are you moving to FL, is it for a job and if so, is healthcare not provided with that? If you can give details of what visa you're moving on, whether it's for work or to open a business, etc, then those in the know can advise you.

Good luck.

Jerseygirl Sep 3rd 2016 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Trow1982 (Post 12042629)
Dear all, please can anyone advise me on finding family health insurance for the US. We currently live in the UK but are looking at moving to FLorida in March 2017. The quotes I've been getting are around £1000 a month for us? Is this correct and would we be looking at paying the extreme amount a month? Surly every family in the US don't pay this much??

If you use the forum's search engine to search through past threads...you should find loads of info.

Pulaski Sep 3rd 2016 12:17 pm

That is in the right ballpark for health insurance not subsidized by an employer. You can reduce the premiums a good bit by taking on some of the risk yourself through a higher excess (US terminology = "deductible").

What does "looking at moving to Florida" mean? What sort of visa are you planning on getting, or is (at least) one of you a US citizen already?

mikelincs Sep 3rd 2016 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12042726)
That is in the right ballpark for health insurance not subsidized by an employer. You can reduce the premiums a good bit by taking on some of the risk yourself through a higher excess (US terminology = "deductible").

What does "looking at moving to Florida" mean? What sort of visa are you planning on getting, or is (at least) one of you a US citizen already?

see this thread for more info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...reeing-869997/

ChocolateBabz Sep 3rd 2016 2:06 pm

Yep that might not be too far off and remember that's not all you will pay - you want to check your deductibles (co-pay or co-insurance) and also your maximum out of pocket per year.

Eg. We are $440 per month (employer subsidized) we have to pay the first $1500 each of claims ourselves or a combined total of $3,000 before insurance start paying ANYTHING, then they cover 80% of costs until we have paid $10,000 (our out of pocket annual maximum) and then they cover 100%. Some preventative things are covered 100% from the outset.

Also you might want to check out auto insurance costs and home insurance (including hurricane insurance) which may be required if you are purchasing a home - they also tend to be expensive.

Trow1982 Sep 3rd 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12042631)
Sounds about right to me from what I've seen on the forum.

But you might want to give more info to get the best responses - how are you moving to FL, is it for a job and if so, is healthcare not provided with that? If you can give details of what visa you're moving on, whether it's for work or to open a business, etc, then those in the know can advise you.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response. My husband has work joint partnership in an electrian company who are already based there so we're getting visa's through that. We get 50% towards are hearth are through work but just seemed very high to me but thank u.
I would like to know which ones are the best to go with if anyone knows?

Trow1982 Sep 3rd 2016 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12042667)
If you use the forum's search engine to search through past threads...you should find loads of info.

Thank you, I'll take a look now x

Trow1982 Sep 3rd 2016 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12042726)

We're applying for L1 & L1b visa's so fingers crossed all goes well.
Thanks for your advise

Nutmegger Sep 3rd 2016 2:33 pm

Yes, that cost is not by any means out of the ballpark. For ex-pats coming to the US for a job, it is an important part of the negotiations to ensure that they are provided with adequate health insurance with the least out of pocket expense. I note that you say "you are applying" for an L-1 visa for your husband. You cannot apply for anything, the employer has to do it, and that visa is only relevant if your husband has been employed by the company previously. Is that the case?

Pulaski Sep 3rd 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Trow1982 (Post 12042780)
..... We get 50% towards our health through work but just seemed very high to me but thank u.
I would like to know which ones are the best to go with if anyone knows?

Health insurance? Usually what your employer has negotiated is best, your choice is "take it or leave it", but 99%+ of the time "take it" is the best option.

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 3rd 2016 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12042796)
Health insurance? Usually what your employer has negotiated is best, your choice is "take it or leave it", but 99%+ of the time "take it" is the best option.

And remember there is always a payment due when visiting the doctor, the ER, the dentist, the eye doctor or the pharmacy even though you are already paying for insurance . Nothing is free when it is medically connected.

How I miss the NHS:unsure:

Pulaski Sep 3rd 2016 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12042803)
..... How I miss the NHS. .....

I miss it as much as I miss my British income tax bill! :lol:

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 3rd 2016 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12042824)
I miss it as much as I miss my British income tax bill! :lol:

You might think differently if you had to call 911 and involve an ambulance, lifeflight, emergency cardiac surgery (twice), cardiac rehab, monitors every 3 months, 5 pills a day, cardiolite treadmill tests every year. And that's just right now.

Mind you the thought has occurred to us that if this had happened in the UK the speed and superb treatment that M received here may not have been the same there, I might not have my lovely old man right now:unsure:

robin1234 Sep 3rd 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12042926)
You might think differently if you had to call 911 and involve an ambulance, lifeflight, emergency cardiac surgery (twice), cardiac rehab, monitors every 3 months, 5 pills a day, cardiolite treadmill tests every year. And that's just right now.

Mind you the thought has occurred to us that if this had happened in the UK the speed and superb treatment that M received here may not have been the same there, I might not have my lovely old man right now:unsure:

There you have it in a nutshell :unsure:

You know the old saying, getting old is no fun but the alternative is worse.