Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Financially better off in uk????

Financially better off in uk????

Old Dec 11th 2021, 6:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financially better off in uk????

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
My husband is niche and is desirable so don’t have to worry from his aspect.

Well , yes you do need to 'worry from his aspect; IF your husband's current company is intending to transfer him on an L-1 visa, then YOU would be able to work.
If he needed to get a new job, then he would move under an H-1B and you would NOT be able to work.
There is no 1 year visa - you are either eligible to work or you are not.
While I understand you want to work out all the aspects of moving to US, determining whether your husband is going to be sponsored by his company is the first thing you should be looking at.

O P still hasn’t been clear on employment for her husband. Is he requesting a transfer to the US from his current employer or looking for sponsorship? It makes a big difference!

(sorry SDG, replied to wrong post!)
Old Dec 11th 2021, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Clarkoles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, no worries, I actually meant our own move, we're looking at the Newton/Needham/Wellesley area and it's blooming pricey!
Ah ha I see lol sorry. Multi tasking. Trying to cook a curry.

Yes I can imagine. Ah I’ve looked at these places on a map, schools, photos of the town etc along with a million others. Our next visit is hopefully planned for April so we get two solid weeks looking around and combine a break at the coast. Show the girls plimoth settlement, see Essex and other areas and combine a few days in Rhode Island and up through the Berkshire’s. Youngest is learning about the mayflower pilgrimage which is relevant to near where we live.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Clarkoles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO there is much to consider when children are involved. They will be leaving their friends and family behind, there will be disruption in their education…do not assume it will be the same as the UK. If you stay until one or all of your children go through uni, you run the risk that they will find a job/partner and not want to go back to the UK. Will their qualifications be recognized in the UK.

As far as financials are concerned. The NE US is generally a very expensive place to live. I always say the US is like Disneyland…nothing is what it seems. If you have a good income and live in a nice, safe neighbourhood, life is good…but it will cost you. Of course there are always cheaper areas, especially if they are quite a distance to the large cities.
Thank you. Yes there are so many quandaries. Part of us feels that we might have missed our opportunity. Maybe we should have done it years ago.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarkoles
thank you. Yep short term whilst working there on a visa we would rent our uk house out and rent there. I know I’m jumping ahead for long term but I’m trying to save guard us financially in case we like it and want to stay. I think we will be loosing hundreds of thousands of property and capital gains tax in comparison to the uk. Thanks for your help. Popping off to do some dinner
can you explain the capital gains tax concern? Gains of primary residence occur when the gains are above 500k for a married couple, and as I understand it if you sell and buy the gains are transferred and don’t have to pay any taxes.
Your mileage might vary, but my uk council tax is roughly $3300 a year, my property tax in Cambridge MA is roughly $4000. Cambridge does have some of the lowest property tax rates in MA, and prices are are higher, but not as high as Boston proper.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
can you explain the capital gains tax concern? Gains of primary residence occur when the gains are above 500k for a married couple, and as I understand it if you sell and buy the gains are transferred and don’t have to pay any taxes.
Your mileage might vary, but my uk council tax is roughly $3300 a year, my property tax in Cambridge MA is roughly $4000. Cambridge does have some of the lowest property tax rates in MA, and prices are are higher, but not as high as Boston proper.
If they decide to stay and sell the UK house…as non UK residents they may be subject to UK taxes.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

An internal transfer could be available in a few months.

Getting a work visa with a new employer could take years or never. As always the devil is in the details.

Children age out at 21 and seems that may be an issue, sufficiently confused not to know.

If you want to stay long term which seems you may you need an Employer to sponsor you for Permanent Residency. Some do, some will but want to wait and see, some will not.

Old Dec 11th 2021, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If they decide to stay and sell the UK house…as non UK residents they may be subject to UK taxes.
ah, missed the concern was related to potentially capital gains on sale on UK property. Non resident capital gains in the UK will likely only apply to gain in value since 2015. Capital gains in the US will likely apply to whole period house was owned. I understand there was some exceptions if it was primary residence and is sold since a limited period of time of moving to the US. Only have experince with investment property and as such had to pay gains in the US related to the whole period owned the property.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

ah, missed the concern was related to potentially capital gains on sale on UK property. Non resident capital gains in the UK will likely only apply to gain in value since 2015. Capital gains in the US will likely apply to whole period house was owned. I understand there was some exceptions if it was primary residence and is sold since a limited period of time of moving to the US. Only have experince with investment property and as such had to pay gains in the US related to the whole period owned the property.
Is that right, UK capital gains tax is calculated from 2015 to present day? So, is that a 6 year thing or has HMRC simply picked a date of 2015?
Old Dec 13th 2021, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mic1
Is that right, UK capital gains tax is calculated from 2015 to present day? So, is that a 6 year thing or has HMRC simply picked a date of 2015?
As I understand it, there never used to be capital gains for uk nonresidents. That changed in 2015 and capital gains now applies to non residents too ( on assets in the UK). In the process of selling a UK house that have owNed and rented since the 90’s, and in the middle of figuring out my uk capital gains bill and appears only going to have to pay on the gains in value since 2015.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 6:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
6th April 2015 - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-...e-gain-or-loss

HTH.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Just to add, it looks as if a home owner would get private residence relief in relation to the amount of time they have actually lived in the home? Does anyone know if this applies if you are an oveseas tax payer/resident at the time you dispose of the property?

Last edited by Mic1; Dec 13th 2021 at 7:41 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The latter part of this is generally incorrect. It used to be the case that gains were transferred if you bought a higher priced property, but that was done away with in 1997.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Without a confirmed path to a visa, all of the other questions are moot.