Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Financial aid options for study in the US?

Wikiposts

Financial aid options for study in the US?

Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Rich31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial aid options for study in the US?

I am a non-resident in the US working in San Diego on an H1B visa. I want to study for a Masters Degree qualification and as anyone living in the US knows, these things do not come cheap!

I have been told that certain financial aid options may be available from either the UK ministry of education or perhaps even from the US Govt in certain situations.

Does anyone have experience with getting funding for education in the US as a non-resident?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial aid options for study in the US?

Originally Posted by Rich31
Does anyone have experience with getting funding for education in the US as a non-resident?
I was able to get a TERI loan (www.teri.org) years ago when I was working on a Master's degree. Sadly, TERI has suspended their loan operations due to the current economic situation. Still, there are programs available... but you might need to be somewhat creative in your search. Good luck.

Ian
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I am a non-resident in the US working in San Diego on an H1B visa. I want to study for a Masters Degree qualification and as anyone living in the US knows, these things do not come cheap!

I have been told that certain financial aid options may be available from either the UK ministry of education or perhaps even from the US Govt in certain situations.

Thanks!
The best place to go for answers to these kinds of questions would be the financial aid counselor at the campus you want to attend. They should be able to help you out in answering your questions and seeking an appropriate program for your circumstances
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:58 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It would help to know what subject you plan on studying.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I found a couple of tiny scholarships online that non-residents qualified for, only a few hundred though. My school has a few that you don't have to be PR. Otherwise you are SOL.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, in order to qualify for Federal Financial Aid (grants and loans) you have to be a Perm. Resident or USC. It may be possible to qualify for certain things offered by your uni of choice or some private scholarships, but I don't think you'll get anything from the Fed. gov't.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
For financial aid purposes, an eligible noncitizen is one of the following:

· A U.S. permanent resident who has an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551 or I-151)

· A conditional permanent resident (I-551C)

· A noncitizen with a Departure record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Indefinite Parole," "Humanitarian Parole," or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant"

You are neither a citizen nor an eligible noncitizen, nor are you eligible for federal student aid, if you are in the U.S. on one of the following:

· An F-1, F-2, or M-1 student visa

· A J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor visa

· A B-1 or B-2 visitor visa

· A G series visa (pertaining to international organizations)

· An H series or L series visa (allowing temporary employment in the U.S.)

· A "Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence" (I-171 or I-464)

· An I-94 stamped "Temporary Protected Status"

· However, you may be eligible for state or institutional aid and may therefore wish to complete the FAFSA to apply for that aid. If you are completing a paper FAFSA, fill in oval C. On FAFSA on the Web, indicate that you are not a citizen by using the drop down menu.

URL: http://www.visalaw.com/04jan3/3jan304.html

However, if you click here to go to UCSD's financial aid website I noticed that the State of California recognizes an H1B visa holder eligible for residency for tuition purposes. Whether that means you are eligible to receive state loans or grants or you only qualify for in-state tuition rates I'm not sure about that but you can call their office at 1 (858) 534-4586 and find out. Hope this helps! And good luck

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Feb 13th 2010 at 5:34 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
However, if you click here to go to UCSD's financial aid website I noticed that the State of California recognizes an H1B visa holder eligible for residency for tuition purposes. Whether that means you are eligible to receive state loans or grants or you only qualify for in-state tuition rates I'm not sure about that but you can call their office at 1 (858) 534-4586 and find out.
Of course since we are talking about California you will have to call on a day when the office isn't closed because of budget cuts, you should expect both the resident and non-resident tuition rates to have increased since the last time you looked at them and you should assume that the classes that you want to take might be canceled ...
Old Feb 13th 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

jamestravis is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked to see if your employer will pay any of the tuition?
Old Feb 13th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my university supposedly qualified you for instate tuition if you establish residency, ie. work, license, etc etc. But they have a clause where you can't qualify on a non-immigrant visa. Feckers.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by augigi
Yeah my university supposedly qualified you for instate tuition if you establish residency, ie. work, license, etc etc. But they have a clause where you can't qualify on a non-immigrant visa. Feckers.
Believe it's like the same thing in the UK isn't it? Except 3 year waiting period and you need to have indefinite leave to remain?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

jamestravis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Believe it's like the same thing in the UK isn't it? Except 3 year waiting period and you need to have indefinite leave to remain?
Seems to depend on the state on both counts. Maryland from what I've seen does not care if you have a non-immigrant visa... Though I've not seen any exceptions to 12 months