Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Financial Advisors in USA/UK

Financial Advisors in USA/UK

Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

KarenMitchell75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Advisors in USA/UK

Hi 'Y'all'. I moved to North Carolina in late 2011 with my husband and this is the first year we have had to do a full on US tax return. I realise during this wonderful tax return time that I have money dotted all over the place doing nothing for me, with shares, ISAs, pensions from different companies, etc. I need to get a financial advisor and I have asked my colleagues if they can help, but all their advisors only really know about American stuff.

Any ideas where I can get a well recommended financial advisor that deals with both UK and USA finances. It has really hit hard that I have no idea where my money is and what it is doing...... I should be ashamed of myself I know but now I will do something about it, I just need to figure out the best way to get started.

Any guidance, experiences or recommendation you have would be great!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Advisors in USA/UK

It's not easy to find someone who is dual-qualified and with reasonable fees (Pete Newton has a good reputation on this forum but may not be taking new clients).

In any case, you may not need one. You do need a competent tax practitioner CPA who understands that all foreign income is taxable in the United States (even if "tax free" in another country) and who is capable of working through claiming foreign tax credits and understanding the information reporting that you normally need to do.

That includes identifying any of your investments that are "US-tax-unfriendly" and working out a strategy to divest of them as soon as possible, unless you plan to be back in the U.K. in the not too distant future. You might need a U.K. adviser as well - depends on your plans for the future and how complex your affairs are - if so, it's acceptable to have advisers in different countries so long as they are able to talk to each other.

Your situation is probably too complex for H&R Block and similar firms, but a lot of medium-sized CPA firms should be able to help you. Especially one that has dealt with international issues/clients before.

You've left things very late in this tax season to get it right for 2012. However, it is important to get your tax return right (rather than file it, and then have to amend it later on) so you may wish to request from the IRS an extension of the due date until October 15.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britishexpatstax.com/
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:36 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Pete Newton isn't taking on any new clients at the moment.