Reload this Page >

Financial Advisor Suggestions

Financial Advisor Suggestions

Old Jan 9th 2019, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

SJDiamond is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Financial Advisor Suggestions

Hi there

I'm after some help. I'm in the process of moving from the UK to PA to join my US citizen husband. My visa application has just been approved and I'm now sorting out finances etc. in the UK while waiting for the next stages.

Can anyone suggest a good joint US/UK financial/tax advisor based in the UK, that I could use. I'm in the Midlands and would prefer to meet someone face to face, but appreciate that the majority may be in London

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance!

Sandra

Last edited by SJDiamond; Jan 9th 2019 at 12:12 pm. Reason: spellimg mistake
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Advisor Suggestions

I can't suggest anyone however it may help if you can outline your finances a little.
I don't mean numbers but if you have a pension, investments, a rental, a bank account outside the US that you'll be keeping, those sort of things.
You may not even need an advisor.

In the meantime, only if you wish, you can read up on FBAR, FATCA and UK/US Tax treaty and tax credits if you have some time.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi there

Thanks, good points and thank you for getting back to me!

I have a house I'm tryjng to decide whether to rent or sell, as we may be back in 6 years, so were planning on keeping our options open in the UK. I have a some shares in one company, and a company pension that is due to start paying out in December, when I turn 50. Standard bank accounts in uk, that I plan to use for any UK transactions including managing rental costs/income. I'm just clearing out my ISAs

Sandra
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Has your US husband been living with you in the UK for a while, and if so has he been doing his US taxes every year?
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

No he's been in the US all the time and I've been in the UK, its a long story....but yes he's been paying his taxes.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Wirksworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sandra,
I as yet haven't found a good US/UK advisor and my US one gave me advice which was wrong - its complicated. In terms of your house one thing to remember is the US will tax you on a gain over $250K if only one partner has lived in it or $500K if both partners have lived in it (which doesn't look like your situation) - the IRS has a good sheet on tax on selling a house. The crucial thing to remember is the calculations are always done in $ . So you may have a larger of smaller $ taxable gain based only on the change in exchange rates. With the poor exchange rate now is a good time to sell in terms of US tax gains but with Brexit selling a house can be tough and you need to decide if you want to keep a UK property. You can also have a $ gain when you pay off your mortgage to watch out for -. The UK CGT rules have also changed for people who move abroad and are less favourable.

Last edited by Wirksworth; Jan 9th 2019 at 5:39 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

The opposite. The pound has collapsed - foreign currency mortgage gains are common.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Wirksworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Sandra, Cook County is correct, I got things the wrong way round re the impact of the weak £ and have edited my post accordingly
Old Jan 10th 2019, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your advice.

I've managed to find a US/UK tax advised in London. I'll try her then look at the suggested reading

Thank you again!

Sandra