Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

financial advisor questions.....

Wikiposts

financial advisor questions.....

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default financial advisor questions.....

Any idea how much one will cost or what i should be looking for? My wife wants to sort out all her loans from medical school, I think that's all we need them for. Is it an hourly fee? It's all new to me so i figured I would ask here. thanks.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:30 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: financial advisor questions.....

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Any idea how much one will cost or what i should be looking for? My wife wants to sort out all her loans from medical school, I think that's all we need them for. Is it an hourly fee? It's all new to me so i figured I would ask here. thanks.
I'll start off by saying that I've never used a financial adviser in the US (but I did work in banking in the UK for years), but I always thought they dealt more with investments than loans. In which country are the medical school loans, and what do you mean exactly by 'sort out'? From what you've posted I certainly wouldn't be entertaining paying someone to do something that could be done for free, but you maybe you haven't provided enough info.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'll start off by saying that I've never used a financial adviser in the US (but I did work in banking in the UK for years), but I always thought they dealt more with investments than loans. In which country are the medical school loans, and what do you mean exactly by 'sort out'? From what you've posted I certainly wouldn't be entertaining paying someone to do something that could be done for free, but you maybe you haven't provided enough info.
I think she can do it for free but she says that she is to busy with work and stuff and doesn't want to worry about it.....We're not sure of what is the best way to pay them and since it is such a large amount we feel like it'll be easier if someone who knows what they are doing helps us.......it's spread across about 4 banks and is around $250,000. Some are government and some are private. She's thinking of consolidation but we're not sure if that will be better or worse, I think her interest rate is around 6-8%
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Look for help on the Clark Howard site? I'm not sure this would be the job of a financial planner though. Don't limit yourself to searching that title... it's almost more like a credit counselor.
A financial planner will help her (and you) sort out a form of budgeting and saving/investing though.

I'd encourage you to study quite a bit before hiring someone from either field; there are a lot of scams out there.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Considered asking your local bank/credit union for advice? Usually get it for free...