Finance Professionals - NYC, help please

Wikiposts

Finance Professionals - NYC, help please

Old May 24th 2018, 1:31 am
Just Joined

benthamr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finance Professionals - NYC, help please

Hi all,

I'm hoping there may be some people here on this forum able to help me.

I'm a CIMA qualified accountant with over 10 years experience gained in financial services, working mostly in corporate FP&A / cost management. I'm new to New York and having just received my EAD, I'm on an L-2 visa, I'm looking to get back into work as soon as possible. If anyone here has any good advice, knows any worthwhile recruiters or even knows of any potential open roles I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old May 29th 2018, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Finance Professionals - NYC, help please

Hi Rob,

I'm a CIPFA qualified accountant and had nearly 20 years experience when I moved to the US in 2016. Apart from location, the main difference to your circumstance is my time had mostly been City Hall jobs. I managed to transition to the private sector and haven't looked back.

The market is great right now for finance professionals and so you should be able to find something quickly. I would suggest making appointments and going to the main agencies in town (Robert Half, Michael Page etc.) to meet recruiters face-to-face. They will get to know you, help 'translate' your resume from UK to US (job titles, tasks you've done etc.) and get you ready for the NYC market. You will likely have to explain that CIMA is UK equivalent of CPA and most will accept that and use it as a selling point.

Depending on what you're looking for you can choose to temp for a while to get experience or hold out for something permanent. Temp to hire is a good way to help overcome any concerns and employer might have. Let's face it, FP&A/Cost accounting is universal and you're just got to remember to put a $ in front of the numbers!

Finally, get active on LinkedIn and also find local networking groups. I joined the FENG (The Financial Executives Networking Group) which is one of the largest groups and was right for the level of job I was looking for.

Good luck!

PS. This forum is amazing and I know my move to the US would have been much harder without the support of the great people on here
Old May 30th 2018, 3:17 am
Just Joined

benthamr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finance Professionals - NYC, help please

Thanks for the advice Carl!

I actually met with a couple of recruiters last week and had my first interview for a temp position yesterday. As you say, I also believe my skills are universal and so hopefully I'll be able to secure something soon, just need to cast my net as wide as possible with all the different recruitment firms in the city!