Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally! Visa Interview!!

Finally! Visa Interview!!

Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally! Visa Interview!!

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
If you have time in London, make sure you go to Fortnums' (no other reason than I like it!) and remember to bring your xmas pudding with you. If fussy with xmas crackers bring them as well (I did ) as the only place I've found here that sells them is world market.
Papyrus also has nice English one's, but $24 for a pack of 10 I think...
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
For a start I read Barbara Ehrenreich's book ("Nickled and Dimed") - a real eye-opener!

David (Fatbrit) also wrote a very informative post at some poinht.

Prior to that, my DH did some research before we joined Costco, as he had heard/read somewhere that Costco are one of the more ethical US businesses.

Also, we are members of our local Coop, so to some extent in on the loop of who the good eggs are.

Bottomline is we try to avoid Walmart if at all possible.
In some places, beggers can't be choosers, there was only Sam's club in Maine, but when our membership expires, we're leaving it, as the local one is miles away, as is Costco, but BJ's is only a few mins up the road, and ain't to bad.

Wholefoods is finally moving to Maine, so MIL is rather pleased with that, means some competition at last for that other place, Wild Oats, which is nice, but way over priced.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:50 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andie&jase
I'm nearly there guys! I've been a bit quiet lately cos I'm up the wall with estate agents and the embassy and work etc etc.

I'm really nervous, but I'm going to do a bit of shopping down Oxford Street, then I have booked myself into the Marble Arch Thistle tomorrow night (Tuesday) so I'll pamper myself a little, so I've got a few things to keep me occupied. Then it's up early and over to the embassy for 9:30am on Wednesday......for my 3 hour wait! hehe

Any Karma coming my way would be much appreciated!

Wish me luck!!!
Andie

Good luck for wednesday!

I was there last week and out in just over 1 hour. It was very quiet compared to when I was there at the begining of September (had my interview twice, long story)

All the best.. where are you moving to?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:54 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Good luck for wednesday!

I was there last week and out in just over 1 hour. It was very quiet compared to when I was there at the begining of September (had my interview twice, long story)

All the best.. where are you moving to?
Arizona. Did you get approved the second time?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

We had to wait outside before being allowed into the building. Maybe security isnt as tight now as it was then so its probably better now. Only people that had appoitments were allowed anywhere near the building and inside. So most of the wait was for them to check this documentation. The line snaked all around the block!

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Have no idea why anyone was queuing outside as I just followed the signs to go inside. The interview itself is less than 5 mins when you get to it. After how long I waited I think 3hrs is quite good! But Sorry to hear about your experience.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:00 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona. Did you get approved the second time?

Yes.. the first time I was approved too but I had my passport/envelope stolen, so I had to re-apply ..
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:12 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Yes.. the first time I was approved too but I had my passport/envelope stolen, so I had to re-apply ..
oh no!!! poor you!

well congratulations, hope everything runs smoothly for you now.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:21 pm

oh no!!! poor you!

well congratulations, hope everything runs smoothly for you now.

Thanks! Moving to CO this week

Best wishes x
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:36 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm nearly there guys! I've been a bit quiet lately cos I'm up the wall with estate agents and the embassy and work etc etc.

I'm really nervous, but I'm going to do a bit of shopping down Oxford Street, then I have booked myself into the Marble Arch Thistle tomorrow night (Tuesday) so I'll pamper myself a little, so I've got a few things to keep me occupied. Then it's up early and over to the embassy for 9:30am on Wednesday......for my 3 hour wait! hehe

Any Karma coming my way would be much appreciated!

Wish me luck!!!
Andie

Good luck for Wednesday - another step closer.

Karma on the way
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

StephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Andie!!! I'm sure it will be fine
I will send good thoughts your way and looking forward to seeing you in AZ soon!