British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   finally made it, now i need a ss number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/finally-made-now-i-need-ss-number-436705/)

basementwaj Mar 23rd 2007 3:30 am

finally made it, now i need a ss number

Well, after over 2 years of trying i have finally made it to TN! a little jet lagged and a lot streesed about the bringing the cat process and looking for a job.... but how do i get a SS number??????

I ticked the box in london to say, ' yes please i would like one automaticaly' but i havent got one and dont know what to do to get one.......

oh, and arent cell phones shite here, not to mention pricey.... money grabbing b'stards! ha

TouristTrap Mar 23rd 2007 3:31 am

Re: finally made it, now i need a ss number

Welcome. I think I remember you :)

Go down to the SS office and apply for another one, would be my first thought.

And about cellphone, you pay for INCOMING and OUTGOING calls....b word.:curse:

Elvira Mar 23rd 2007 3:46 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4550050)
Welcome. I think I remember you :)

Go down to the SS office and apply for another one, would be my first thought.

And about cellphone, you pay for INCOMING and OUTGOING calls....b word.:curse:

Wait 10 days before going to the SS office as it takes a while for the system to be updated. If you're not in the system, they have to verify your immigration status manually - and you do NOT want that :eek:

Will be difficult to get a mobile phone contract without SSN and credit rating, but you can get a Virgin PAYG phone via their website. (I think they also sell them at Target and Best Buy but I think it's cheaper if you buy direct.)

Ray Mar 23rd 2007 4:38 am

Fill in this form and take it with you to the nearest SS office
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html about 10 days after you arrived ..

BritGuyTN Mar 23rd 2007 4:22 pm

congrats on making it over

good option where we are is cingular gophone

www.cingular.com/gophone

2 options for pay as you go, I gave my property manager one and it costs me $25 a quarter inc calls (shes not exactly overworked)

and you can pick up a phone dead cheap, I just picked up 3 sonyericsson basic phones refurbed for $10 each - virtually disposable - off the cingular website

your Uk phone is not likely not work that great as cingular recently switched over a bunch of masts in TN - you will be fine if its quad band - just not tri band

Mallory Mar 23rd 2007 8:04 pm

Welcome! Forget the phone, and enjoy the beautiful weather. Did you bring any short sleeves?

mdyoung Mar 24th 2007 4:30 am

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 4550048)
but how do i get a SS number??????

I ticked the box in london to say, ' yes please i would like one automaticaly' but i havent got one and dont know what to do to get one.......

What you need to do depends on your visa status. If you are here on a K-1 you will need to go into an SSA office to apply. Take your I-94, passport and birth certificate (BC). If K-3 you aren't eligible for a work authorized SSN without an EAD card. Once you have one go into an SSA office with BC and EAD card.

If you came in on an immigrant visa you need to give the Enumeration At Entry 3 weeks to work If you don't get it within 3 weeks. Then you want to go into your friendly neighborhood SSA office to see what's up. Take you BC, passport with the machine readable visa with I-551 language or I-551 card. If you were assigned an SSN, but didn't receive the card, they can give you the number, but you will need to apply for a replacement card.

Plus whenever you apply at an SSA office your status will need to be verifed, before the SSN is assigned and/or card is issued. That can take from while you are at the office to months.

meauxna Mar 24th 2007 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 4550048)
Well, after over 2 years of trying i have finally made it to TN! a little jet lagged and a lot streesed about the bringing the cat process and looking for a job.... but how do i get a SS number??????

oh, and arent cell phones shite here, not to mention pricey.... money grabbing b'stards! ha

Welcome!
You have to give the automagic SS card four weeks from entry before following up. If you re-apply you do risk mucking things up with two applications/accounts.

Has your Green Card arrived yet?
If you were not an Immigrant Visa holder, forget the above about SSA and go apply. That offer is only valid for IV holders.

BigDavyG Mar 25th 2007 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4550081)
Wait 10 days before going to the SS office as it takes a while for the system to be updated. If you're not in the system, they have to verify your immigration status manually - and you do NOT want that :eek:

Yep - as mentioned below if you ticked the box on the form for the SSN number you have to wait for 30 days before you can query the status of the application and submit a new request if needs be.

Basically you should not check the automatic box as you have just cost yourself a 4 week wait.

mdyoung Mar 25th 2007 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4559610)
Yep - as mentioned below if you ticked the box on the form for the SSN number you have to wait for 30 days before you can query the status of the application and submit a new request if needs be.

Basically you should not check the automatic box as you have just cost yourself a 4 week wait.

It's 3 weeks not 30 days and it's no sure thing that the SSA office can verify your status if you apply in the office. Then you could possible be waiting weeks or months for your SSN. I say if you are rolling the dice, go with the DS-230 check off.

BigDavyG Mar 25th 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by mdyoung (Post 4559989)
It's 3 weeks not 30 days and it's no sure thing that the SSA office can verify your status if you apply in the office. Then you could possible be waiting weeks or months for your SSN. I say if you are rolling the dice, go with the DS-230 check off.

Maybe we should have a vote - most people on here seem to think otherwise. Given that in my own case I didn't receive the SSN automatically because no-one actually began to process my application until I went to the SSA office how long would you propose waiting for ???

Ray Mar 25th 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4560461)
Maybe we should have a vote - most people on here seem to think otherwise. Given that in my own case I didn't receive the SSN automatically because no-one actually began to process my application until I went to the SSA office how long would you propose waiting for ???

Actually it does work for some people ...but not all it seems ..
And MDY know a bit more than we do about the SS. dept .

BigDavyG Mar 25th 2007 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4560476)
And MDY know a bit more than we do about the SS. dept .

Ahh, so MDY is a dole bludger then - that explains it

mdyoung Mar 25th 2007 11:40 pm

This is a bit stale now, but here are some figures on Enumeration At Entry.

http://www.ssa.gov/oig/ADOBEPDF/audi...8-04-14093.htm

OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
ASSESSMENT OF THE ENUMERATION AT ENTRY PROCESS

March 2005

As of September 30, 2004, SSA had issued EAE participants over 101,000 SSN cards

basementwaj Mar 26th 2007 3:36 am

well, thanks for the info!!!!!!
i was granted a ir-1, greencard is on its way...
i signed with tmobile as they were the cheapest and i get service with them (and they started in the uk so thats good)
I went directly to gap on my second day here for shorts and t-shirts, wow the weather is awesome and my parents are telling me its snowing in the uk now!
My cats made it over safely in the belly of an AA 777 after some minor arguing at check in.
Picked up my cert of driving (after a joke of a test) from the DMV, will swap for a lisence as soon as my green card arrives...

at my inlaws at the moment, and when i get work i will sign up for full web access somewhere and be more of a BE regular!

thanks again for all your help folks!!!!!!:D