Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally Here!

Finally Here!

Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally Here!

Phew - been a crazy few days but finally settling in a little bit - had lots of little teething problems but for the most part things have gone okay.

Dont start work till Friday so I have a couple of days to get some much needed rest! KLM/Northwest lost my cats at Amsterdam but thankfully found them and we all got here eventually!

First call next day was the social security office and they said about 3 weeks but I was able to open an account with AM South without it - and get this - I got a car ON FINANCE!!! Friends had been helping me look all weekend to no avail with the budget I had then yesterday afternoon we were in a dealership who asked me what I did have and I gave him passport, employer verification letter, etc and they agreed since it was such a low amount - so I only have 6 payments of $200 and the best part is it will build my credit history a little bit.

The apartment is great, cats have settled just fine and just trying to get used to the surroundings - still feel kinda weird and missing my friends but hopefully I will meet new people soon and I have a couple of people here anyway

So for tonight - my first night alone since I got here - I got a bottle of wine, a tub of Ben & Jerrys and I plan to just chill out and relax while I still can!

The weather is so nice right now - it was humid and thundery when I got here and I got caught in a storm in the rental car which was kinda scary but made it back without getting lost - even silly little things like that are an achievement to me right now!

Hope everyone's doing good!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 5:29 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the states!!!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Well done, glad you made it in one piece!!

My final week in the UK is turning out to be as traumatic as yours...

I've still not got an exchance on my house, and yesterday I went to sell my car - it's only eight months old and I couldn't find anyone who'd touch it with a bargepole...I finally found a dealer who would give me what I wanted, but it took eight hours of calls and visits, and I ended up stranded 25 miles from home! LOL Still, it's been a while since I got on a bus (and hopefully will be last time in the UK) so I didn't mind too much.

The house is in complete uproar, the removal men are coming friday and we're still frantically trying to pack, sell our electrical goods, sort out all the paperwork that we need for the customs, house sale etc. and still try to keep a veneer of normality for the children!

Five big Samsonite suitcases, five sets of carry on luggage, two child car seats, one baby buggy and a videocamera to fit into the hire car - might be a squeeze!

Still, I'm getting to the point now where if it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. We're staying in a hotel Saturday night at Manchester airport, we get on that plane 10am sunday, and the rest of it can wait...

Webbie, as promised, I expect you to be waiting at Charlotte airport with a cold beer......

I probably won't get a chance to post now till next week, but take care y'all and I'll let you know how things go...
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:56 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Lesley1020 - you did it!! Congratuations, you should be very proud of yourself. Many a weaker person would have given up weeks ago.

Big Vern - It's all panic and rush until you sit down on the plane and breathe a big sigh of relief and say "a whisky on the rocks please"
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally Here!

Originally posted by Lesley1020
Phew - been a crazy few days but finally settling in a little bit - had lots of little teething problems but for the most part things have gone okay.

Dont start work till Friday so I have a couple of days to get some much needed rest! KLM/Northwest lost my cats at Amsterdam but thankfully found them and we all got here eventually!

First call next day was the social security office and they said about 3 weeks but I was able to open an account with AM South without it - and get this - I got a car ON FINANCE!!! Friends had been helping me look all weekend to no avail with the budget I had then yesterday afternoon we were in a dealership who asked me what I did have and I gave him passport, employer verification letter, etc and they agreed since it was such a low amount - so I only have 6 payments of $200 and the best part is it will build my credit history a little bit.

The apartment is great, cats have settled just fine and just trying to get used to the surroundings - still feel kinda weird and missing my friends but hopefully I will meet new people soon and I have a couple of people here anyway

So for tonight - my first night alone since I got here - I got a bottle of wine, a tub of Ben & Jerrys and I plan to just chill out and relax while I still can!

The weather is so nice right now - it was humid and thundery when I got here and I got caught in a storm in the rental car which was kinda scary but made it back without getting lost - even silly little things like that are an achievement to me right now!

Hope everyone's doing good!
Welcome and good luck settling in.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome and hope all goes well, great about the car.
Glad cats arived safely
Suzie
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:59 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the USA.

We have just spent the weekend in TN, lovely state but strange people
We even got to swig some clear nose burning liquid from a mason jar.
Aparently it's some sort of local hooch. Moonshine or something.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:25 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and welcome.

The gits lost your cats?:scared: How long were they MIA for? That was my biggest fear when I was travelling with mine.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:57 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the States Lesley! I'm glad your cats made it over and have settled in and you're finding your feet. Sounds like it's all coming together nicely so far!

Best wishes

Tam
Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Being Dutch I am very embarrassed that our national airline lost your cats! Glad you all got to the US safely in the end. Enjoy your wine and ice cream! Good luck settling in.

Elaine
Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Lesley!!! Welcome to America!! sounds like its all working out now- great