Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

finally did my driving test

finally did my driving test

Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default finally did my driving test

hi guys i finally got round to doing the maryland stae driving test.

got to mva at 8 am and there were around 8 people all waiting outside in front of me,it opens 830am.

doors opened and everyone went to get there tickets to be called i didnt need one.
i had done my theory test and alcohol awareness 3 weeks before.

i was first in line at the window,gave and completed neccesary paperwork.
was told to take a seat and wait for my number T1 to be called.

so got called and firstly did the parellel park the guy said once parked put brakes on and i will measure,your allowed to be 12 inches of of the curb.

did my manouver and the guy opened the door and said i dont need to measure,i was 2 inches away.

then did reverse manouver and completed,then onto the open road.

he asked me what some road signs meant i said i didnt see it as i was checking my mirrors.
anyway,drove for around 10 minutes,arrived back at testing station and he said i PASSED yeahhhhh.

told the wife who was waiting i had failed hehe,then went to window to pay and pick up license,young lady said,i see you passed first time,you must be very smart.
Now i have my new USA driving licence and they let me kepp my uk one too.

i thought that would be taken off me.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: finally did my driving test

Congrats!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

cheers
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!! it feels good doesnt it! i passed mine in CA in Oct and it feels like im finally "here"
Safe driving!!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

congrats for what? not failing? you need to either arrive drunk or have a head on collision to fail.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
congrats for what? not failing? you need to either arrive drunk or have a head on collision to fail.
Ba humbug!

It's a big thing if you are new here to take your test - i had to really get used to driving on t'other side of the road - so indeed Congrats are in order!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Remember Dee's daughter...she drove straight through a red light and still passed? She totalled her car within a week of getting her license.

Congrats redarmy.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

it certainly does, although i must admit ive been driving on my uk license
Old Dec 31st 2012, 3:19 am
Just Joined

YorkshireEmma is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on passing your test! Well done
I was wondering what the rules are with driving on a UK license here. I'm struggling to find information on how long in Iowa I can drive before I have to take a test... And if I have to take the whole test or just a written one. The DMV office didn't even know Does anyone have any helpful info? Much appreciated! Ta
Old Dec 31st 2012, 3:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YorkshireEmma
I was wondering what the rules are with driving on a UK license here. I'm struggling to find information on how long in Iowa I can drive before I have to take a test... And if I have to take the whole test or just a written one. The DMV office didn't even know Does anyone have any helpful info? Much appreciated! Ta
Take a look at your DMV's website...the info should be there.

Edit: After searching their website this is what I found http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/newresidents.htm.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 31st 2012 at 4:19 am.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YorkshireEmma
Within 30 days of becoming resident in the state (sign a lease, buy a house, start a job, stuff like that) is quite common as is having to take both parts of the test.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

YorkshireEmma is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys, that's great
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 12:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Within 30 days of becoming resident in the state .... it is quite common as is having to take both parts of the test.
Right, and I when I arrived in NY in 2001 there were no road test slots available locally for nearly 3 months! I could probably have got by until a local test was available, but I wanted to get out of the way so it wouldn't interfere with my job later. Mrs P checked counties progressively further north and west until she found one with a test slot available within 7 days, .... and I ended up doing my road test in Herkimer, NY.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:31 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, and I when I arrived in NY in 2001 there were no road test slots available locally for nearly 3 months! I could probably have got by until a local test was available, but I wanted to get out of the way so it wouldn't interfere with my job later. Mrs P checked counties progressively further north and west until she found one with a test slot available within 7 days, .... and I ended up doing my road test in Herkimer, NY.
DMV shopping is quite common, I will pass two on the way to my preferred one. It is a fairly small one in an upscale neighborhood. Very short lines with simple straightforward transactions.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 1:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
DMV shopping is quite common, I will pass two on the way to my preferred one. It is a fairly small one in an upscale neighborhood. Very short lines with simple straightforward transactions.
True, for a replacement license it would be quicker to drive 35 miles/ 40 minutes from the city centre to the DMV office near where live and then drive all the way back than to sit and wait in the city centre DMV near where I work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.