Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally arrived in Austin, Texas

Finally arrived in Austin, Texas

Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the rough
Default Finally arrived in Austin, Texas

Hello, fellow Austinites.

Well, we finally arrived in the good ol' US of A. So far we have had mixed feelings about the move. We have been here now for 25 days and have not got the all the important Social Security number yet. I've tried to take my driving test but they wont let me because I don't have a SS number yet. I went to the SS office and they gave me letter to take to the driving test office and even with that they still wouldn't let me take it, but apparently i'm supposed to take my Texas test within 30 days of arriving here, durrrr!!!
I had fair warning about the red tape over here I suppose but that just seems plain stupid to me.

What I need to do now is find a job. Do any Austinites know anybody hiring at the moment?

Looking forward to hearing from all you Austinites out there.

Bye for now. Jimbo
Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally arrived in Austin, Texas

How you finding Austin in general though?
Been checking much else of Texas?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a ss number, you can sign an affadvit to say you don't have a ss number, they have the form online or you should be able to get one from the License office. I know this as both my kids don't have ss numbers so they had to sign one. Just take along your passport and visa for ID. Actually, we drove with our UK licenses for several months before we went to get a TX license.

Least your came at a good time, as the weather is relatively cool at this time of year. Give it time and get into that good american habit of shopping until you drop!
Old Dec 31st 2004, 4:38 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note: you can drive on a foreign driving license for one year in Texas. The 30-day rule is for out-of-state US drivers moving from another state.

As has already been said, there should be no problem with taking your test without a SS number - in Texas (my experience is in Dallas, but it's a state-wide rule) all that is required is appropriate proof of ID plus either an SS number, or the letter that you already have, or you must swear that you are not entitled to an SS number (as is the case for those with a non-work visa).
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you enjoy the heat, try and visit San Antonio once you get a chance.

Originally Posted by Jimbo the Bimbo

Well, we finally arrived in the good ol' US of A. So far we have had mixed feelings about the move. We have been here now for 25 days and have not got the all the important Social Security number yet. I've tried to take my driving test but they wont let me because I don't have a SS number yet. I went to the SS office and they gave me letter to take to the driving test office and even with that they still wouldn't let me take it, but apparently i'm supposed to take my Texas test within 30 days of arriving here, durrrr!!!
I had fair warning about the red tape over here I suppose but that just seems plain stupid to me.

What I need to do now is find a job. Do any Austinites know anybody hiring at the moment?

Bye for now. Jimbo
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:39 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we finally arrived in the good ol' US of A.
well hi Jimbo I hope you're settling in okay, all the best for 2005 and make the most of the weather cos your first Summer down here is always a killer I'm in houston but have good friends who are from Austin ,never been there myself but I've heard good things,if you're coming directly from the U.K Texas can be quite a culture shock...good luck...and get that drivers licence....you'll need it
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:45 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Just a quick note: you can drive on a foreign driving license for one year in Texas. The 30-day rule is for out-of-state US drivers moving from another state.

As has already been said, there should be no problem with taking your test without a SS number - in Texas (my experience is in Dallas, but it's a state-wide rule) all that is required is appropriate proof of ID plus either an SS number, or the letter that you already have, or you must swear that you are not entitled to an SS number (as is the case for those with a non-work visa).
you can drive on your UK licence for up to a year, but you will be lucky if you manage to get car insurance without a Texas licence - we managed eventually to find an insurance company who would take me (they don't care at all about your driving record in the UK) but they would only insure on the undertaking that I would take my test within 10 days ..

Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:47 pm
Brit'n'TX

Bye for now. Jimbo
what line of work are you looking for?

the Austin American Statesman has a very good online job search link:

http://www.statesmanclassifieds.com/

Old Jan 1st 2005, 12:35 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
you can drive on your UK licence for up to a year, but you will be lucky if you manage to get car insurance without a Texas licence - we managed eventually to find an insurance company who would take me (they don't care at all about your driving record in the UK) but they would only insure on the undertaking that I would take my test within 10 days ..
Progressive insured us without a limit on how long we could drive on our UK licenses... but at huge cost. My wallet deeply regrets us taking 6 months to take our Texas driving test, as it cost us around $2000 per car for 6 months with Progressive!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

Welcome to Austin.

I'm the person that organized the last Austin booze up -- we shall have to have another one soon so watch this space.

If you have any Austin specific questions or problems, feel free to PM me.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to Texas! Was in Austin yesterday and thought it was great!! I was told 3 months to get Texas DL - and had a conversation last week with a nice policeman who pulled me over who strongly suggested that I get a texas DL ASAP! As this was in our sub-division and I may run into him again I might well do so!! My colleagues managed 18 months without taking the test!!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:33 am
Just Joined

corneydavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
welcome to Texas! Was in Austin yesterday and thought it was great!! I was told 3 months to get Texas DL - and had a conversation last week with a nice policeman who pulled me over who strongly suggested that I get a texas DL ASAP! As this was in our sub-division and I may run into him again I might well do so!! My colleagues managed 18 months without taking the test!!
3 months is the time that I seem to remember. I know my SS card arrived in good time for me to take the test. They driving test people need to see the origonal card due to fraud issues.

Welcome to Austin, by the way :-) Havong lived here for 5 years I can assure you it is as good a place as any to live.

Have you found work yet?

Last edited by corneydavid; Jan 6th 2005 at 4:36 am.