Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally All Approved

Finally All Approved

Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

daccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally All Approved

So we had our L1/L2 visa interview today, and was pretty impressed with the process.

Interview was at 8.30 we got there about 8 queued outside for a bit (there are often 2 queues depending on the interview time so make sure you're in the right one)

We was all done by 9.45, staff were all really nice and helpful. Was obviously pretty nervous but went very smooth.

Now time to start spending some of the money we've been saving and book everything.

We're using Bournes for shipping, PetAir Travel for the Dog, and have leased cars with IA

5 weeks and counting.

I'll add posts as the process moves along and hope to share some helpful tips and insight like everyone before me.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally All Approved

Congrats and all the very best with the move!!!!

Originally Posted by daccs
So we had our L1/L2 visa interview today, and was pretty impressed with the process.

Interview was at 8.30 we got there about 8 queued outside for a bit (there are often 2 queues depending on the interview time so make sure you're in the right one)

We was all done by 9.45, staff were all really nice and helpful. Was obviously pretty nervous but went very smooth.

Now time to start spending some of the money we've been saving and book everything.

We're using Bournes for shipping, PetAir Travel for the Dog, and have leased cars with IA

5 weeks and counting.

I'll add posts as the process moves along and hope to share some helpful tips and insight like everyone before me.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, we can compare countdown notes although I'm a few weeks ahead of you and we've had our visas since November!
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:38 am
Just Joined

evanstim is an unknown quantity at this point

What a co-incidence! We also had our L1/L2 interview yesterday at 8:30am. As it did you for you, our day went smoothly. The only annoying thing was that the US Embassy website indicated umbrellas were a no-no and that they supplied them in inclement weather, so accordingly we did not bring one. However, they seem to have relaxed this rule as plenty of people had them, and a security guard told us that they had abandoned giving out umbrellas as they were being stolen/not returned after use. We therefore got a bit wet in the rain, but nothing too bad (we were sheltered slightly by a tree).

What number were you? We were N87.

Our second interviewer was particularly pleasant. After asking me a couple of easy questions about my job, she told us that the visas were approved and that our passports would be sent back to us in two or three days. However, as of this morning, the status of the application on ais.usvisa-info.com is still showing as 'Administrative Processing'. I am told that once the visa is printed this changes to 'Issued', so I expect this would change either tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited by evanstim; Jul 16th 2015 at 8:40 am.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

daccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond repute

we was number N119, and yes got wet in the rain, but not too much. We are you moving too, have you set a date yet?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

We're moving to the Bay Area in California with a two year commitment. We're going as soon as we have our passports back, so at the end of next week, we hope.

In a slightly risky move (linked to work commitments I had in the US in May and June, and the movement of one of our tenants from an investment property to our main UK home) we have already taken a lease on a house in Burlingame and a bought car. We have even also already setup bank accounts and arranged utilities, insurances, etc.

All we need now is to get our furniture finally shipped, so we should be fully settled by the end of August.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Wow that's fast. How have you set up your bank account? Do you have your social security number?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

No, we do not have a Social Security number as yet. We were personally introduced to a local Wells Fargo Private Bank manager, who did it all for us without asking for a SSN. We also setup a USD International bank account in our UK bank to assist with low-fee transfers between the US and the UK.

Similarly the utility companies were not fazed by the lack of a SSN either, with the exception of Comcast which, due to the credit check failing, requested for the first two months' fees to be paid in advance ($180). Admittedly the other utilities were setup, in person, in their local offices, so the personal touch may have had an impact on that decision.