Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

finalising tax issues in the UK

finalising tax issues in the UK

Old Nov 21st 2002, 11:49 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default finalising tax issues in the UK

I found out today that as I more than likely won't be here for the remainder of the tax year, I'd get a rebate on any excess tax I'd already paid. Yay!!!!!!!
How does one go about getting all your tax issues finalised? How soon should I tell them? I'm not self employed or anything, so I assume it'll be quick and painless!!!
(Yes, I had a thought other than TSC!!!! Drat and blast, almost went through a whole post without mentioning it!!!!!!!!!) LOL!!!
Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 4:02 pm

Cooooo-eeeeee!!!! Anyone? (LOL)
Kate. xxxxxxxxxx
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 5:20 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Cooooo-eeeeee!!!! Anyone? (LOL)
Kate. xxxxxxxxxx
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I really beg for your forgiveness and promise not to ignore you again. I rang up the tax office not so long ago and they said I had to file a form (I think it was called a p80), I did need my p45 though, so as soon as I get made redundant I will file as I have no intention of working until I leave in February. I would pop into the local tax office if I where you (you can drop in without an appointment) and they will help.

I am off to go and beat myself with a soggy carrott until my back looks like a roadmap of England as punishment for not being a loyal and obediant servant to Kate, can you ever forgive me!

Patrick

please, please, please, please forgive me, pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssse!
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 8:01 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I really beg for your forgiveness and promise not to ignore you again. I rang up the tax office not so long ago and they said I had to file a form (I think it was called a p80), I did need my p45 though, so as soon as I get made redundant I will file as I have no intention of working until I leave in February. I would pop into the local tax office if I where you (you can drop in without an appointment) and they will help.

I am off to go and beat myself with a soggy carrott until my back looks like a roadmap of England as punishment for not being a loyal and obediant servant to Kate, can you ever forgive me!

Patrick

please, please, please, please forgive me, pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssse!
Erm.........................no!
Thanks for the info, Patrick, I'll get onto that as soon as my feet are licked clean by my lowly slaves!!!!!
Kate. xxxxxx
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

If you contact the tax Office as Patrick suggested, they will let you have a P80 (to be returned to them with date of departure) and a Form FD13 which has to be submitted to the US IRS. US Residency Certification Unit. As I understand it, when that certification is received by the UK Tax authorities they will deal with your tax position in the current year. If you have any income still arising in the UK after you emigrate you should be able to get that paid GROSS since you will declare it for taxation to the IRS. And..yes, emigrating part way through a tax year should result in a rebate because you will be credited with a FULL year's allowances. (Thanks Gordon)