Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Final word on Auto's. Can of worms

Wikiposts

The Final word on Auto's. Can of worms

Old Jun 7th 2003, 4:18 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Final word on Auto's. Can of worms

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Rover is British owned
I do not believe that Rover is British owned, or has been, for several years now.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years the only British company I know of that manufactures mass production cars is TVR in Blackpool.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with most US Auto's, full of bells & whistles. Shining & new for 6 months, then they rattle & roll. Mushy seats. Sloppy suspension.
Reg. Frank R.

It's why they brought about the 55mph law. You try driving those Caddy Elderado's or Plymouths. Turn a corner you slide around on the seat.

Don't think they have heard of Ricaro Seats. Firm, wrap around. Support under the knees.
Americans love them big old beasts “Farm Tires inclusive�, especially once you get out of the big Cosmo cities.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I have no problem with Ford Europe or GM etc. It's US Ford & GM etc that make rubbish. The only reason that US Auto makers are successful, is they have a Huge mkt, just in North America. USA + Canada = 300 million. They certainly are not big sellers elsewhere.

Frank R.
TVR Tuscan (Think), my brother had one. Not sure if Ford does not own a share in them.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I do not believe that Rover is British owned, or has been, for several years now.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years the only British company I know of that manufactures mass production cars is TVR in Blackpool.
Rover Group (incl Land Rover) was bought by BMW in the late 90's, but it proved to be too much of a money pit for them (being a realtively small car manufacturer) to turn around, so they sold it, for £10, but this caused them to realize such a large loss that they had to sell Land Rover (which was the bit they really wanted anyway) to Ford to realize some profit, otherwise they would have been close to insolvency.

Rover was bought from BMW by a consortium named "Phoenix", including at least one venture capitalist, and other British engineering concerns, including Lola (British based race car builder) and Mayflower engineering.

As such Rover cars is now as British owned as it has been in a long time, and as such dwarfs TVR's business.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2003 at 3:29 am.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
..... not being rude - but are you joking?
You said, and I quote, "my description of a US car is one that is designed, marketed and produced for the US by a domestic brand
..... I can't honestly think of any else.
"

I was only listing cars that met your description of "US designed, marketed and produced", I would not drive most of them if you paid me to do so, with the sole exception (among the cars I listed) of the Mustang GT.

I now presume that you were only listing US cars that you would own?
Old Jun 8th 2003, 5:10 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

yes, sorry for the mix-up!

frrussre pretty much summed up a lot of my opinions - if i want to go boating - i'll go to a lake!!

joking aside I have been genuinely scared when driving some domestic cars on sweeping bends - very embarassing to be overtaken in these situations

i guess i just prefer a more direct feel when driving
Old Jun 8th 2003, 6:38 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Miss your old UK car?

What I miss is my Vauxhall Astra SXI - why are they not available here?
I did think about bringing mine over but getting parts once it got old would have been a pain in the rear.

Scotch
Old Jun 8th 2003, 6:59 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
Rover Group (incl Land Rover) was bought by BMW in the late 90's, but it proved to be too much of a money pit for them (being a realtively small car manufacturer) to turn around, so they sold it, for £10, but this caused them to realize such a large loss that they had to sell Land Rover (which was the bit they really wanted anyway) to Ford to realize some profit, otherwise they would have been close to insolvency.

Rover was bought from BMW by a consortium named "Phoenix", including at least one venture capitalist, and other British engineering concerns, including Lola (British based race car builder) and Mayflower engineering.

As such Rover cars is now as British owned as it has been in a long time, and as such dwarfs TVR's business.
I did say "unless things have changed in the last couple of years" - I must admit to not having kept up-to-date with these things since I left.

Nice to know that Rover is British again.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Bottom line, they are giving away Mercs & BMWS & Cadillacs.

Anyone want the Cadi?

Reg. Frank. R.

Ps. Other than my brother in law & nephew. Who by the way lives in a 3 million dollar apartment.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:55 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go for a beemer or porsche.....

it seems that in the US bmws come with 3 years inclusive servicing - no need to spend $1000 on an inspection 2 service - bonus!!!

bmws also depreciate proportionately less in the US - whereas porsche is the opposite - very strange

also anyone considering importing their uk car to the us - forget it now.

i looked at bringing mine over quite seriously, and although it was a model year that was on a list that is ok to convert - it would have cost $6000.

:scared:
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:22 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BritGuyTN

also anyone considering importing their uk car to the us - forget it now.

i looked at bringing mine over quite seriously, and although it was a model year that was on a list that is ok to convert - it would have cost $6000.

:scared:
Absolutely, my hubby looked at bringing over his 2 year old left hand drive MGF (not much converting would need to be done you would think!) even with the company paying for the transport the cost was prohibitve. What do they have against you bringing cars into the US anyway?

He is having to sell it here at a big loss and is broken hearted too

Emm.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

aramintaalice is an unknown quantity at this point

The BMW X5 is American made, at the BMW plant in Greenville SC.

So far as the cost goes, whenever I have looked at the price of cars that are sold in both the US and the UK they invariable cost the same number of $ as £, and so are being sold at a significant discount in the US compared to the UK. For example when the BMW X5 was launched about six or seven years ago its list price was £60,000 in the UK and $60,000 in the US, as now the $/£ was then around 1.6.
I think it's the same with the Hummer which is coming here soon. $55,000 and £50,000! What a rip off.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by aramintaalice
I think it's the same with the Hummer which is coming here soon. $55,000 and £50,000! What a rip off.

When these vehicles are sold in USA they are heavily subsidized. When sold in Europe, they milk it.

Frank R.
Guess that’s why not to many US cars outside North America.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 1:17 pm

Originally posted by frrussre
When these vehicles are sold in USA they are heavily subsidized. .....
By who, and for what reason, pray tell?
Old Jun 17th 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

By who, and for what reason, pray tell?
Well, a lot of subsidies come from you the tax payer. They also put tariffs on foreign imports. It’s why the UK car industry died, the Government refused to give them any more money. Maybe your not old enough to remember. It's why Fiat "Italy" Renault "France" etc etc etc are still making cars. It's not that these auto makers are any smarter then British Leyland, it’s just they are highly Government supported. You obviously did not know. Hope this helped.
Reg. Frank R.

An interesting article.

http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ory_id=1842437

Your tone is a little combative, Mr. Pulaski. You had a bad day in Paradise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.