Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finace' Visa

Finace' Visa

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Jody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finace' Visa

I am writing to find out if there is anyone or agency that will help with a finace' Visa. My finace' is from the UK and i am in the US. We do not want to make any mistakes that would prolong this process and are willing to enlist help from someone who is an agent who is famliar with this.

PLease if any one know of an agency that can help us let us know.

Jody
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:44 pm
mmm

mmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finace' Visa

Any immigration and Naturalisation lawyer will be able to help you if you want to enlist the aid of a professional. A lot of these give you the first consultation (which is usually all anyone needs) free.

Otherwise if it's just the forms you're having problems with, you can always ring the US Embassy in London to explain the forms better. They're quite helpfull there.

Good luck

Originally posted by Jody:
I am writing to find out if there is anyone or agency that will help with a finace' Visa. My finace' is from the UK and i am in the US. We do not want to make any mistakes that would prolong this process and are willing to enlist help from someone who is an agent who is famliar with this.

PLease if any one know of an agency that can help us let us know.

Jody
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:27 pm
Katie

In article <[email protected]>, Jody says...
    >I am writing to find out if there is anyone or agency that will help with a finace'
    >Visa. My finace' is from the UK and i am in the US. We do not want to make any
    >mistakes that would prolong this process and are willing to enlist help from someone
    >who is an agent who is famliar with this.

>I am writing to find out if there is anyone or agency that will help with a finace'
    >mistakes that would prolong this process and are willing to enlist help from someone
    >PLease if any one know of an agency that can help us let us know.

If I may...

Having just gone through US/UK fiance visa process, let me try and reassure you that
it is not as difficult as it seems when you are new to it all. I came to this group
having done a search on google for "Fiance Visa". I lurked for a couple of days
trying to digest anything. I noticed many replies were telling the new ones to check
out DocSteins website, and a few regular posters carry it in their sigs, at the
bottom of their posts. It was invaluable. It was the beginning, and I spent many days
reading the K1 process on his site. At first, it was a maze. Not the website, but the
whole kit and kaboodle. That's when the fear kicks in. You're reading, it's all alien
to you, and among all that there are posts telling awful stories of "Requests for
Further Information" (RFI), or for further "Evidence" (RFE).

I wanted to marry, and I wanted to be with my fiance in America. Inbetween those two
things stood paperwork. But you can't be together without the paperwork which
accompanies it. Go to Doc Stein's website, you'll find it in Alvena's posts, and
Rete's (I think. Sorry, Rete... I got it from Alvena's, and I always check her posts
if ever I need it again.).

You'll get all the help and support from this group. We paid a lawyer. It was a lot
of money, but looking back it could have been better spent elsewhere. It didn't
speed up the process any, no one represented us, and we went through it all
ourselves. Start by reading DocStein's pages - EVERY ONE OF THEM, including the "So
you're in love" pages. Then, read them all again the next day. You might be ready to
look at the online forms in a better frame of mind then. Any questions you can't
handle, or which frighten you, put a post on the group. Someone will reply and
advise you. If it's wrong, they'll get jumped on. But don't worry, it's usually all
good spot on advice.

From the UK end, your fiance can start by phoning up his local police station and
asking them to send the appropriate forms for police conviction history for
immigration purposes. This costs ten pounds and takes up to forty days - though mine
took ten. He will need his "long form" birth certificate which must display his
mother and father's names. You can get this from the registrar of the town where he
was born, if he hasn't got one. (Phone the number of local town hall) It costs 6.50
sterling for a copy. If he's been married, he'll need copies of his previous licences
(Registrar of local town again). And the same with any divorces (Family section of
local court where divorce took place).

Take your time. A week spent absorbing this group, DocStein's pages, and
familiarising yourself with the procedure, will save you much worry, anxiety and
mistakes. Above all, it will give you the confidence to start what at times will be
quite a worrying few months. Don't look to the end... from my experience it's best to
look at the current hurdle. Yours is the K1 petition which you ( the US citizen) will
be sending to your Service Centre. Read any and all posts on here with questions
about that.

On the other hand... you can pay up to $1800.00 dollars to a lawyer like we did
<OUCH), and *still* end up asking the group for advice to check that the lawyer is
right! Make this place your home for the next few months - it really does become a
friend. And may I take this opportunity to thank Alvena, Rete, Andy and everyone who
takes the trouble to post replies, advice, and experiences. I'm over here now in the
States. I'm married, I've filed my AOS, and back in January I was in your shoes, on
my way back to the UK to start the K1 journey and leaving Carl behind in America.

Good luck. I'll look for your posts.

-katie

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really nice

Also, definitely check out the www.k1faq.com website, associated with this newsgroup. It gives a very helpful basic outline. Many of us are going/have gone through this without a lawyer and been successful.
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 7:12 pm
Nympha Yu

HI Jody! my american fiance just filed I-129F .its so simple .you just go to this
website and follow instruction:

http://k1.exit.com/k-1frames.html

Jody wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Jody
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Jody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Katie:

If I may...

Having just gone through US/UK fiance visa process, let me try and reassure you that
it is not as difficult as it seems when you are new to it all. I came to this group
having done a search on google for "Fiance Visa". I lurked for a couple of days
trying to digest anything. I noticed many replies were telling the new ones to check
out DocSteins website, and a few regular posters carry it in their sigs, at the
bottom of their posts. It was invaluable. It was the beginning, and I spent many days
reading the K1 process on his site. At first, it was a maze. Not the website, but the
whole kit and kaboodle. That's when the fear kicks in. You're reading, it's all alien
to you, and among all that there are posts telling awful stories of "Requests for
Further Information" (RFI), or for further "Evidence" (RFE).

I wanted to marry, and I wanted to be with my fiance in America. Inbetween those two
things stood paperwork. But you can't be together without the paperwork which
accompanies it. Go to Doc Stein's website, you'll find it in Alvena's posts, and
Rete's (I think. Sorry, Rete... I got it from Alvena's, and I always check her posts
if ever I need it again.).

You'll get all the help and support from this group. We paid a lawyer. It was a lot
of money, but looking back it could have been better spent elsewhere. It didn't
speed up the process any, no one represented us, and we went through it all
ourselves. Start by reading DocStein's pages - EVERY ONE OF THEM, including the "So
you're in love" pages. Then, read them all again the next day. You might be ready to
look at the online forms in a better frame of mind then. Any questions you can't
handle, or which frighten you, put a post on the group. Someone will reply and
advise you. If it's wrong, they'll get jumped on. But don't worry, it's usually all
good spot on advice.

From the UK end, your fiance can start by phoning up his local police station and
asking them to send the appropriate forms for police conviction history for
immigration purposes. This costs ten pounds and takes up to forty days - though mine
took ten. He will need his "long form" birth certificate which must display his
mother and father's names. You can get this from the registrar of the town where he
was born, if he hasn't got one. (Phone the number of local town hall) It costs 6.50
sterling for a copy. If he's been married, he'll need copies of his previous licences
(Registrar of local town again). And the same with any divorces (Family section of
local court where divorce took place).

Take your time. A week spent absorbing this group, DocStein's pages, and
familiarising yourself with the procedure, will save you much worry, anxiety and
mistakes. Above all, it will give you the confidence to start what at times will be
quite a worrying few months. Don't look to the end... from my experience it's best to
look at the current hurdle. Yours is the K1 petition which you ( the US citizen) will
be sending to your Service Centre. Read any and all posts on here with questions
about that.

On the other hand... you can pay up to $1800.00 dollars to a lawyer like we did
<OUCH), and *still* end up asking the group for advice to check that the lawyer is
right! Make this place your home for the next few months - it really does become a
friend. And may I take this opportunity to thank Alvena, Rete, Andy and everyone who
takes the trouble to post replies, advice, and experiences. I'm over here now in the
States. I'm married, I've filed my AOS, and back in January I was in your shoes, on
my way back to the UK to start the K1 journey and leaving Carl behind in America.

Good luck. I'll look for your posts.

-katie

Hi Katie,
I just want to thank you for the information. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually been thru the process.

Sincerely
Jody
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 12:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jody:

Hi Katie,
I just want to thank you for the information. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually been thru the process.

Sincerely
Jody
About 60% or more of us here have gone the K-1 route. We did in 1998. It is not a difficult process but not everyone, even with the extension resources here on the newsgroup, can help those with special problems or who have difficulty working with mountains of details and paperwork. While it is certainly doable alone, there are excellent attorneys on this site and DocSteen's site who help people who don't want to assume the responsibility singlehandedly. And remember we people here are not attorneys and any information we dish out is just that information and not gospel. It is information gleamed from experience, ours and others, and sometimes instinctive perceptions on the dealings of various US Consulates worldwide.

Note, too, that a good immigration attorney will not only oversee your paperwork but will hold your hand, calm your fears and if you run into a difficulty with the US Consulate or the INS will have access to names and phones numbers not known to the general public.

Rete
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:07 pm
Katie

In article <[email protected]>, Rete says...

>About 60% or more of us here have gone the K-1 route. We did in 1998.

Hiya, Rete... just a thankyou for all the posts you make. I've learned a lot from you
and the others who make informatative replies.

Have you seen many changes/differences with the process this last four years? Like,
has the K1 route got smoother, or have certain embassies around the world become more
efficient?

The one thing which gets me, is how certain countries appear to treat their
interviewees with a certain awkwardness, or even downright nastiness as some posts
have reported. I've always understood that embassies around the world stand on a
little piece of that particular county's soil. If the Embassy is a US embassy, then
surely what happens inside it should reflect the demeanor of the country it is
representing. This doesn't appear to be the case from what I've read in posts about
the Chinese US embassy, or the Indian US embassy, to name but two.

If embassies are supposed to reflect the country they are representing, how come the
US embassies around the world operate differently, from basic courtesy right on
through to efficiency? I'm not singling out the US, as I'm pretty sure it's the case
for other Western embassies in certain countries too. I'm just really surprised, as
I've always been under the impression that no matter what country you're in, if you
find your own embassy... you're in your own country, kinda thing. I really thought it
was the same all around the world, and from what I've read in the group - it isn't.

-katie

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 3:22 pm
Jonathan_atc

Please try out this site for explicit information about the K-1 Fiance Visa. http://www.weslow.net/users/alixtcat/

You CAN do this yourself with the help from this site and others given on this site.
--
Jonathan_ATC "Jody" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am writing to find out if there is anyone or agency that will help with a finace'
    > Visa. My finace' is from the UK and i am in the US. We do not want to make any
    > mistakes that would prolong this process and are willing to enlist help from
    > someone who is an agent who is famliar with this.
    > PLease if any one know of an agency that can help us let us know.
    > Jody
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com