Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

F'in US Customs

F'in US Customs

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: F'in US Customs

Sorry to butt into your thread, but I'm confused by this. When our stuff shipped, it cleared customs without a penny charged. We paid a one time fee of $2000 to our shipping company upfront before we moved and that was it. Our shipment arrived at our door about 4 months later. Why are some people charged customs fees and others not? Bad luck?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

oops, make that 2000 GBP, not $.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gatsbygirl8
Why are some people charged customs fees and others not? Bad luck?
Pretty much, yes ...
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gatsbygirl8
Sorry to butt into your thread, but I'm confused by this. When our stuff shipped, it cleared customs without a penny charged. We paid a one time fee of $2000 to our shipping company upfront before we moved and that was it. Our shipment arrived at our door about 4 months later. Why are some people charged customs fees and others not? Bad luck?
I suppose it's like some travellers have their luggage searched at the airport and some get to walk straight through.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I suppose it's like some travellers have their luggage searched at the airport and some get to walk straight through.
I think everyone is warned that it could happen, our shippers stressed not to put anything in the least bit suspect in for that reason. However, I believe there is a random element to the checks.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

Holy crap! So glad you got it though. I'd take an hour or so and write scathing complaints to all involved - you never,know, you may get some compensation. This is where it really pays to have military friends - they are able to move things around the world so much more easily - I have a friend who on occasion takes things for us and re-posts in the UK. A whole houseful might be a bit too much to ask for tho. MY in-laws literally shipped everything they owned including US and British appliances, and a US and a British vehicle in containers, on the Airforce dollar, four times!

Am glad you finally got your stuff and hope it helps you settle in and doesn't sour your new venture too much, best of luck to you
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le10
Finally came out of Customs today. Total bill $4,500 approx.
You got scammed...
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gerber
This just happened to our stuff, however, I spoke to a legal friend of mine and he suggested I pose the following questions to my shipping company about the "costs" involved.

Firstly, I called Customs myself (armed with container information) and asked the status of my shipment. I found out my stuff had already been released by Customs (after a full physical examination) even though my shipper stated it hadn't cleared and was supposedly accruing storage charges. So, based on that info, my shipper couldn't tack on unnecessary charges (ie. storage, etc) and claim it had been sitting waiting for a Customs release.

Secondly, he suggested I demand an itemization with supporting documentation from the shipper in writing for the "costs". When I initially asked the shipper the status of my container they tried to tell me "as of this moment" you owe XX amount. The final bill, which I received yesterday was less than the figure they originally gave me. Go figure.

I don't know when your container arrived, but mine landed on July 27, clearing Customs on Aug. 8 after both a VACIS and full physical examination. Total cost to me was $1600...no, I'm not thrilled about it, however, I do feel if I hadn't chased up my shipper, they would've fleeced me with extra costs. They tried to tell me the same as you, so it might be worth checking up on it?

Good luck - I hope things work out for you.

PS-I'm worried about the state of my items also. I heard that Customs contracts companies out to do the physical exam...fingers crossed my stuff is still there/intact. At least I have the docs of the company who performed it, so I can file a report...geez.
For future reference - do this - chase the shipper for documents.

It's a common occurrence because these shippers are holding your belongings hostage. However, *I think* if you can get copies of the documents from the shipper you might well be able to send a trucker to pick this stuff up yourself, I'm just not sure exactly what you'd need to make that happen.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:02 pm
Banned

Roys is an unknown quantity at this point

so is this scam common? how can you stop it or get the money back??
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Roys
so is this scam common? how can you stop it or get the money back??
Common as dachshund crap on your shoes in downtown Munich.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/moving-c...isra-jj65e.htm
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:02 pm
Banned

how can i tell if my firm is or is not going to rip me off???
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

how can i tell if my firm is or is not going to rip me off???
By either getting ripped off or not...

But there is a reason that I recommend folks find out who gets contracted to do the local side of things and to then search them out on the movingscam website, no guarantee either way, but it's a good way of seeing who you should at least avoid.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
By either getting ripped off or not...

But there is a reason that I recommend folks find out who gets contracted to do the local side of things and to then search them out on the movingscam website, no guarantee either way, but it's a good way of seeing who you should at least avoid.
not moving much so thinking about DHL / fed-ex they do both ends but if not how do i find out who the american carrier will be?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

not moving much so thinking about DHL / fed-ex they do both ends but if not how do i find out who the american carrier will be?
Well if you're using one of those carriers, it won't be a problem...if you're using a mover, who'll bung stuff in a container etc, you'd ask them who they contract.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Well if you're using one of those carriers, it won't be a problem...if you're using a mover, who'll bung stuff in a container etc, you'd ask them who they contract.
great cool thanks for that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.