Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filling out babies US passport app query

Filling out babies US passport app query

Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:23 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Filling out babies US passport app query

The form wants to know height and hair colour etc. Do we really have to put anything there? (ie she is 4 weeks old - hair colour, eye colour, could change, height etc will change!) what did everyone else put?

Also it asks for the name and address of 'a person not travelling with you' as an emergency contact. What did people put there? I could put her grandparents - but they are 1) in the UK, and 2) quite elderly and not able to leap into a plane at the drop of a hat. We have no other relatives in the US. Suggestions?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice
Default Re: Filling out babies US passport app query

Hi

I put what they where at the time. The wife didn't think peach fuzz was appropriate so we went with blond. None of it appears anywhere in the passport - i have no idea what they plan to do with it!

I put my parents (ie grandparents) - mine are in the same category as yours. Again you can change it later if you use the American Abroad thing from the state department.

Goat.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Also it asks for the name and address of 'a person not travelling with you' as an emergency contact. What did people put there? I could put her grandparents - but they are 1) in the UK, and 2) quite elderly and not able to leap into a plane at the drop of a hat. We have no other relatives in the US. Suggestions?
In a similar situation when we were in Hong Kong, we approached some responsible friends and asked them to be 'temporary custodians' for emergency contacts. This way there was a local number in HK people could call, and then our friends had a list of phone numbers they could contact back in the US (parents, siblings, etc) should something befall us.

At present, because we live several hours flight time away from our family and the legal 'guardians' of our children we have two other families listed in on on 'in case of emergency' cards to be 'temporary guardians' of our kids until our families can get out here, just in case.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We got our daughter's first US passport when she was three weeks old. Hair colour was not an issue - she had absolutely no hair. The photographer (we lived in Somerset) had some trick to making her open her eyes for the photo, but she was blowing a spit bubble at the time. That passport photo was a mirthful talking point with US immigration folk for the next five years..
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you asked, I'm just waiting for the birth certificate to come and them I have to do the same. The photo is the part that I'm thinking will be a problem.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:01 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Glad you asked, I'm just waiting for the birth certificate to come and them I have to do the same. The photo is the part that I'm thinking will be a problem.
We ended up doing the photo by laying her on a white sheet and waiting for her to look at the camera. Then used http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to get it printed the right size.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:39 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I always find the "weight, height hair color" thing amusing when applying for a kiddie passport. My daughter was about month old when we applied for, think she was about 6 pounds at that point! Her eyes were also blue but that changed quickly.
Naomi.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:46 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
i got the photos done today in a local studio. they laid her on a white board and i had to keep turning her to face upwards. she then turned to the side again, or shut her eyes, or threw a wobbly. We abandoned the first attempt after about 10 mins of trying. I took her and fed her and came back half an hour later. We went through the same rigmarole again but eventually after about 10 mins she just opened her eyes and looked straight up. luckily the lady caught it. The only snag is she is kind of pursing her lips into an O shape - kind of like Frankie Howard saying Ooo-err Missus - but we think we will get away with it!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

OT, but the requirement for the Brit passport says the eyes don't need to be open if the child is under 6-month-sish (don't recall exactly).

Anyway, we just made sure when we put our child to bed it was on a white sheet. Just took the photo when he was asleep!