Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filing taxes in London

Filing taxes in London

Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice
Default Filing taxes in London

Hi everyone

I have a few questions relating to filing taxes at the US Embassy in London. My wife is the USC and we have been using the wonderful wiki link to fill in the forms (1040, 2555) but we do have a few things we don't understand...

1) When my wife and I married in 2008 my wife took my surname but we didnt change the name on her passport or the name against her SSN so on the forms should we put her maiden name or her married name?

2) My wife didnt work during 2009 so am I right in saying that for 2009 she only needs to fill in the 1040 form?

3) In 2008 my wife did work but only for a few weeks. We dont have her P60 (Im not certain we ever did) and we cant find her old payslips. We cant say with any degree of certainty what her earnings would have been in 2008, though they would have been minimal. Is this likely to be a big problem?

4) On the 1040 form, question 40 it asks my wife to state her deductions. On the 2008 and 2009 forms there is a box in the margin that tells you what the amount should be. On the 2010 form it doesn't have this box, so does anyone know what the amount should be for a married person filing separately?

I have read that there is a great section of the Embassy that can help with these queries and if need be we will ring them Monday but if anyone knows the answer to the queries we would both be very very grateful
Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing taxes in London

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg View Post
1) When my wife and I married in 2008 my wife took my surname but we didnt change the name on her passport or the name against her SSN so on the forms should we put her maiden name or her married name?

2) My wife didnt work during 2009 so am I right in saying that for 2009 she only needs to fill in the 1040 form?

3) In 2008 my wife did work but only for a few weeks. We dont have her P60 (Im not certain we ever did) and we cant find her old payslips. We cant say with any degree of certainty what her earnings would have been in 2008, though they would have been minimal. Is this likely to be a big problem?

4) On the 1040 form, question 40 it asks my wife to state her deductions. On the 2008 and 2009 forms there is a box in the margin that tells you what the amount should be. On the 2010 form it doesn't have this box, so does anyone know what the amount should be for a married person filing separately?

I have read that there is a great section of the Embassy that can help with these queries and if need be we will ring them Monday but if anyone knows the answer to the queries we would both be very very grateful
1) I would use her maiden name. Since she has not updated her name with the SSO, the IRS might have an issue with an SSN not matching a name.

Alternatively, inform the SSO of the change of name, wait a couple of weeks then file using her married name.

2) Yes, all zeros in the relevant places.

3) If it's under the threshold for paying tax anyway (about $4.5k / £3k) then I would guess as close as you can and not worry about it. Even if you are a bit out, as long as you are under the threshold even if it's a bit out you still won't owe any tax.

4) Not sure on that one.

The IRS number in London is a regular 020 number (not a premium rate one) so you can call and ask specific questions and that sounds like a question they would probably know the answer to off the top of their head. They've usually been quite good when folks from this forum have called in the past.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice

Hi , just wondering , is there a fee for filing at the Embassy ? and do you have to go in person ? thanks , Andy .
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife wouldn't get a P60 from the temp job if she wasn't there at the finish of the tax year (5th April), she'd get a P45. The taxable pay should be stated on the P45.

If you can't find the P45, just get her to ring the old employer, they should be able to give her the amount she earnt there and then over the phone (I work in a Payroll dept and we get calls like this all the time, as long as she can prove who she is by giving eg date of birth, address or NI #, they should be able to give her the info).
Old Jun 4th 2011, 8:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Hi , just wondering , is there a fee for filing at the Embassy ? and do you have to go in person ? thanks , Andy .
A fee? What kind of fee? No, no fee.
Why do you need to file at the Embassy?
http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/index.html
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice

Im in England
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone

I have a few questions relating to filing taxes at the US Embassy in London. My wife is the USC and we have been using the wonderful wiki link to fill in the forms (1040, 2555) but we do have a few things we don't understand...

1. I would use maiden name but if your wife is going to apply for citizenship later you need to decide what you are going to use in the future (maiden or married) and start getting your paperwork changed or it will cause problems in the future if you are using both.

4. $5,700 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Im in England
So what.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice

Thanks for all your responses, very very helpful . They're all filled in now and they go off in the morning. Another box ticked
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:55 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Im in England
Taxes are filed by mail, so you'd just mail them to the appropriate US address.