Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

filing tax returns

filing tax returns

Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default filing tax returns

Hi all;

In May 2009 I worked for one month until quitting to move to LA. I didn't put in a 2 week notice, I just left- I know it was silly of me!! This was an hourly job

Then in late July we relocated to IL and I found a receptionist job and work from Oct to Nov (got fired)

Only just now have I informed my past employers of my present address here in TX.
But I did not file for 2009

So, where do I start in all this confusion? coz I will definately file the 2010 taxes when they send out the forms. I have been with my recruitment company since May this year.

For the time I worked at those places, how can I tell if I earned enough to owe any taxes.

Well at least I know now to inform ex-employers on your current or new address.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: filing tax returns

Originally Posted by whatadiva
Hi all;

In May 2009 I worked for one month until quitting to move to LA. I didn't put in a 2 week notice, I just left- I know it was silly of me!! This was an hourly job

Then in late July we relocated to IL and I found a receptionist job and work from Oct to Nov (got fired)

Only just now have I informed my past employers of my present address here in TX.
But I did not file for 2009

So, where do I start in all this confusion? coz I will definately file the 2010 taxes when they send out the forms. I have been with my recruitment company since May this year.

For the time I worked at those places, how can I tell if I earned enough to owe any taxes.

Well at least I know now to inform ex-employers on your current or new address.
I assume you didn't receive any W-2 forms from the 2009 employers?

Most likely 6 weeks of work won't give you enough earnings to warrant filing a tax return, but you can estimate how much you earned in 2009 and double check on www.irs.gov to see what the minimum level of income is in order to file a tax return.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to contact them and ask them to forward you W-2's for filing your tax return. The W-2's will show much you earned with the employer and what amount of tax was withheld. Then you will file federal and the appropriate state tax returns. If you didn't earn enough to need to file taxes, but have had monies withheld for taxes, you might want to file anyway to get a refund. How did your husband file his tax returns for 2009? What status did he use?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

thanks Rete. Hubby was still unemployed throughout 2009.

Yes I have sent them an email at the place where I worked in Diego and in IL to send them my W2 here in TX.

Originally Posted by Rete
You will have to contact them and ask them to forward you W-2's for filing your tax return. The W-2's will show much you earned with the employer and what amount of tax was withheld. Then you will file federal and the appropriate state tax returns. If you didn't earn enough to need to file taxes, but have had monies withheld for taxes, you might want to file anyway to get a refund. How did your husband file his tax returns for 2009? What status did he use?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I assume you didn't receive any W-2 forms from the 2009 employers?

Most likely 6 weeks of work won't give you enough earnings to warrant filing a tax return, but you can estimate how much you earned in 2009 and double check on www.irs.gov to see what the minimum level of income is in order to file a tax return.

Rene
Hi Noorah;

No i did not receive anything from either employers. I have lost all my pay stubs from both places where I worked.
The only place that will show is my bank statement for 2009, because my pay was always direct deposited into my account.

I can say i did not last for 6 weeks in either of the work places in 2009.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

So I guess I'll just have to wait and see until I file my 2010 taxes??
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No i did not receive anything from either employers. I have lost all my pay stubs from both places where I worked.
The only place that will show is my bank statement for 2009, because my pay was always direct deposited into my account.
OK, that will give you some idea of your earnings...but not your withholdings.

I can say i did not last for 6 weeks in either of the work places in 2009.
I meant 6 weeks total for year 2009. Two weeks in one place, 4 weeks in another.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:30 pm

So I guess I'll just have to wait and see until I file my 2010 taxes??
Wait and see what? Your 2010 tax return has nothing to do with your 2009 tax return.

What is your goal? To file a 2009 tax return? Once you have your W-2s from 2009, you can file a late 2009 return. Unless you didn't earn enough to warrant filing a return (which for only 6 weeks of work, you probably did not), and just skip it. Or, as Rete said, if you had some taxes withheld, you can file and see if you get a refund.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

OK, that will give you some idea of your earnings...but not your withholdings.

I meant 6 weeks total for year 2009. Two weeks in one place, 4 weeks in another.

Rene
ooooh okay, my bad

so once I have the W2's in hand, what next?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:34 pm

so once I have the W2's in hand, what next?
Then you'll know how much you earned and how much tax was withheld, and you can take care of filing a late 2009 tax return, if you want to do that.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Rete. Hubby was still unemployed throughout 2009.

Did he collect unemployment insurance in the US? He may still need to file a 2009 return himself.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did he collect unemployment insurance in the US? He may still need to file a 2009 return himself.
No he did not collect unemployement.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Then you'll know how much you earned and how much tax was withheld, and you can take care of filing a late 2009 tax return, if you want to do that.

Rene
Yes Noorah, as soon as my ex employers send me my W2's I will indeed still file online. It's a must right??
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:40 pm

Yes Noorah, as soon as my ex employers send me my W2's I will indeed still file online. It's a must right??
It's a *must* only if you earn enough to warrant filing a return. There is a level of income one can earn and not be required to file a return. Research it at www.irs.gov.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

It's a *must* only if you earn enough to warrant filing a return. There is a level of income one can earn and not be required to file a return. Research it at www.irs.gov.

Rene
Okay thanks, I appreciate all your responses.
I'll file in the hope for a little tax return and not hit by a large penalty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.