Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:00 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by emmals
Sarasota FL......my parents live in Kissimmee....we are buying a business if we sell the house
Not teasing you but why do so many Brits want to settle in FL? I tend to smile when I hear that. Great state, don't get me wrong, but there are lots of other nice states to live in with less destructive weather.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Could you give an example of what people say on here that you find so bad? I mean a specific example not a general idea. I've never seen anyone post anything that I don't hear everyday form people at work or when I'm with family or friends or what I overhear in a restaurant or on the street when I'm walking.
I've never had a problem or read on here that people are having a problem assimilating to American life or people. I've not said or read anything on here that wouldn't have been said about the UK, or for that matter what Americans say about the UK.
It just seems that you are harbouring some kind of repressed feelings about either immigration or American culture and are lashing out trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:04 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rompers
No - here for a few years then back home. Its a great location although I've really liked the other parts of the US I've visited.
Where else have you visited?

I don't see it like that I'm afraid. I find the cynacism and sarcasm funny - I guess its a Brit thing, although having said that most of my work colleagues find it funny too.
Well, we will have to disagree there. Outside of comedy routines and a show cynicism and sarcasm have no redeeming qualities, especially in adult discussions. All that does is make it easier for people to be nasty to each other and there's enough of that in the world today.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
Not teasing you but why do so many Brits want to settle in FL? I tend to smile when I hear that. Great state, don't get me wrong, but there are lots of other nice states to live in with less destructive weather.
but my parents don't live in those other states......FL is beautiful sorry can't help it.....I'm sure there are nicer places but my parents are very important to me and my family and that is a big factor in why we are moving there
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Could you give an example of what people say on here that you find so bad? I mean a specific example not a general idea. I've never seen anyone post anything that I don't hear everyday form people at work or when I'm with family or friends or what I overhear in a restaurant or on the street when I'm walking.
I've never had a problem or read on here that people are having a problem assimilating to American life or people. I've not said or read anything on here that wouldn't have been said about the UK, or for that matter what Americans say about the UK.
It just seems that you are harbouring some kind of repressed feelings about either immigration or American culture and are lashing out trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
You'll have to read my posts Duncan as I would just be beating the same drum all over again, and at a slow typing rate. If you are really interested you'll read them and then ask me something more specific.

Try also not to characterize me in a negative way, as you do in your last sentence, while asking me to explain myself. Otherwise there is no point in going any further. If a person is really interested then they don't try and knock the person down before they have a chance to answer.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:11 pm
Banned

but my parents don't live in those other states......FL is beautiful sorry can't help it.....I'm sure there are nicer places but my parents are very important to me and my family and that is a big factor in why we are moving there
That is important, especially in their later years.

Ever been in a hurricane?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:11 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I actually completely agree with (nearly fell off my chair typing this)

I think Florida is a bit pants overall relative to the numbers of brits clamouring to get there

I wonder where the state would be in terms of numbers of brit expats if walt built his theme park in South Carolina
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Where else have you visited?
FL, NC, GA, VA, DC, NY, VT, IL, IN, OK, AZ, CA and NV. Hoping to collect as many of the 50 as I can before I go back.

Well, we will have to disagree there. Outside of comedy routines and a show cynicism and sarcasm have no redeeming qualities, especially in adult discussions. All that does is make it easier for people to be nasty to each other and there's enough of that in the world today.
Perhaps I don't mind it because I know its not meant in a nasty way. I quite enjoy the banter. Anyway must go - nice talking with "y'all"
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

I think Florida is a bit pants overall relative to the numbers of brits clamouring to get there

I wonder where the state would be in terms of numbers of brit expats if walt built his theme park in South Carolina
So you think it is greatly due to Disney World?

I prefer Six Flags over Disney every time.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

That is important, especially in their later years.

Ever been in a hurricane?
got married in one......
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:15 pm
Banned

FL, NC, GA, VA, DC, NY, VT, IL, IN, OK, AZ, CA and NV. Hoping to collect as many of the 50 as I can before I go back.
Good for you, but you have to drive them all for the best effect.

Perhaps I don't mind it because I know its not meant in a nasty way. I quite enjoy the banter. Anyway must go - nice talking with "y'all"
What I've seen thus far was certainly meant in a nasty way. I've also seen quite a bit of nastiness in the past under other circumstances.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:15 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Sarasota FL......my parents live in Kissimmee....we are buying a business if we sell the house
I have a home not far from Kissimmee.......we were going to move down.....but work is booming up here......so no move yet........

Good luck with the house sell.....and business buying.......
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:18 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I thing this is definitely a brit thing (mainly)...

when in the Uk for a couple of weeks and i meet up with my friends I laugh more than I do in six months in the US - due to the sarcastic piss-take banter and self-deprecating humour.

I find (in my eyes) Americans generally take themselves far too seriously - but its a different culture...

I'm just glad my wife copes with it fine
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by krizzy
I have a home not far from Kissimmee.......we were going to move down.....but work is booming up here......so no move yet........

Good luck with the house sell.....and business buying.......
Cheers....guys FL isn't just Disney....go to Anna Marie island and I dare you not to fall in love......Disney is cool but so are other theme parks.....I love the weather the people and my parents.....couldn't ask for more And if you don't like FL fine
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:19 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

In one tiny corner of Polk...where I live there are 3000 Brits owned holiday homes.....and its going up every day......

We got a house in FL to be near a good American friend of mine.....I never knew that so many Brits moved to the area till after buying.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.