Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:39 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Look mate, the Brits are irreverent to the core. It's our attitude toward life.

But you couldn't find a better crowd in a crunch, when the chips are down. You are a military man, so you know the history.
The history? Reading parts of that article you sent me seemed to indicate a different, less darker, history when it comes to humor in the UK.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Don't judge from superficial appearance. Loyalty and courage and all that good stuff don't come from saluting the flag and saying the correct things, they come from one's insides.
Conversely don't judge "saluting the flag and saying the correct things" as lacking anything inside, or more.

I doubt being openly hostile to people and calling them names is not a "superficial appearance" for most people throughout the world. That's real life and can get a person into a world of trouble. Shrugging it off as misunderstood humor doesn't cut it. Sorry.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

wow, your very own thread.

of course, bitching about the lack of standing orders at banks and GW Bush is hardly openly hostile to your country.

and seen as most of us can't stand for office in order to change anything, what do you want us to do? sit quietly in the corner and just accept our fate like good little school kids?
sorry pal. That's not gonna cut it either.
I'll bitch if I see something amiss, I did it sat in the pub in the UK, I'll do the same here.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:58 pm
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
wow, your very own thread.

of course, bitching about the lack of standing orders at banks and GW Bush is hardly openly hostile to your country.
Can't say I remember what you are refering to. Too many people I've answered already.

Standing orders?

and seen as most of us can't stand for office in order to change anything, what do you want us to do? sit quietly in the corner and just accept our fate like good little school kids?
sorry pal. That's not gonna cut it either.
I'll bitch if I see something amiss, I did it sat in the pub in the UK, I'll do the same here.
Bitch if you like but don't expect the same response in a bar here as you would expect in a pub in the UK, for the obvious reason, if it goes beyond constructive criticism.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Fig,

What brought you to this forum?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rompers
Fig,

What brought you to this forum?

I was doing a search on travel in Google and ran into it. The reasons for posting I think i mentioned in this thread in a previous post.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Been out and about for a few days, so haven't read all your "constructive criticism" or whatever you're calling your opinions. But, why are you on this forum? Why would you think that someone from another country doesn't have the right to voice their dislike/likes, whatever about the host country they live in? I certainly did when I lived in the UK. What is the problem of likewise? I'm really curious about this.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I certainly did when I lived in the UK.
you did?

witch............... burn her!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

you did?

witch............... burn her!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, just wondered what would bring someone with no obvious British connection to a British ex-pats forum. I'm new here and just trying to get a feel for the place.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:14 pm
Banned

Been out and about for a few days, so haven't read all your "constructive criticism" or whatever you're calling your opinions. But, why are you on this forum? Why would you think that someone from another country doesn't have the right to voice their dislike/likes, whatever about the host country they live in? I certainly did when I lived in the UK. What is the problem of likewise? I'm really curious about this.

If you are truely interested in what I have to say then it would be beneficial to lose the first two sentences as they are basically dismissals for whatever I have said and my being here in the first place.

I mention some of the reasons for posting in post #9. I never said anything about people not having "the right to voice their dislike/likes, whatever about the host country they live in."
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rompers
Thanks, just wondered what would bring someone with no obvious British connection to a British ex-pats forum. I'm new here and just trying to get a feel for the place.
I've done a lot of traveling throughout Europe so I'm sure that's part of it in some small and odd way.

Where are you located?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
If you are truely interested in what I have to say then it would be beneficial to lose the first two sentences as they are basically dismissals for whatever I have said and my being here in the first place.

I mention some of the reasons for posting in post #9. I never said anything about people not having "the right to voice their dislike/likes, whatever about the host country they live in."
I'm sorry you don't like my response. However, I'm not in school and of course this is a free country and I feel its my right to write whatever I want.....my opinion, of course. I'm not skimming back through all your posts to figure out what you're on about, I really don't have all that much time nor interest. But, I would like you to answer why you feel it is necessary to voice your opinions here? Do you have some vested interest in Britain?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:25 pm
Banned

I'm sorry you don't like my response. However, I'm not in school and of course this is a free country and I feel its my right to write whatever I want.....my opinion, of course.
You are doing it again; being dismissive. Do you normally dismiss someone before asking them a question? At least let me answer you first.

I'm not skimming back through all your posts to figure out what you're on about, I really don't have all that much time nor interest. But, I would like you to answer why you feel it is necessary to voice your opinions here? Do you have some vested interest in Britain?

Well, you had enough interest to ask me for my views, albeit in a dismissive manner.

You could have asked me that one question in the last sentence and you could have saved quite a bit of typing. See post #9 for some answers to your question.

I don't have a "vested interest in Britain" but I most certainly do in America.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:28 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
I most certainly do in America.
so do we.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Where are you located?
Charleston, SC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.