Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:11 pm
  #1  
Mr. Grumpy
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,100
BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

I have a question or two.

- Where do you actually reside right now. It ain't california unless you have severe sleep issues.

- Are you in fact American?

- Are you the Mr. Hyde alter ego of another poster on here?

- Who the hell has given you so much karma when it appears that you have actually annoyed most members on here?

- How did you learn so much about everything? Apparently to my friends I have an opinion on everything but I don't seem to create the friction that you do.

Right now I'm considering the possibility that you are in fact a brit, who has a big USA fetish and is feeling deprived by an inability to move over here - just an idea.
BritGuyTN is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:19 pm
  #2  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I have a question or two.

- Where do you actually reside right now. It ain't california unless you have severe sleep issues.

- Are you in fact American?

- Are you the Mr. Hyde alter ego of another poster on here?

- Who the hell has given you so much karma when it appears that you have actually annoyed most members on here?

- How did you learn so much about everything? Apparently to my friends I have an opinion on everything but I don't seem to create the friction that you do.

Right now I'm considering the possibility that you are in fact a brit, who has a big USA fetish and is feeling deprived by an inability to move over here - just an idea.
"Leave 'im Trace, e's not werf it!"

{In my best Kat Slater accent}

dbj1000 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:20 pm
  #3  
Mr. Grumpy
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,100
BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by dbj1000
"Leave 'im Trace, e's not werf it!"

{In my best Kat Slater accent}

i'm not having a go - I'm actually just fascinated....
BritGuyTN is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:23 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I have a question or two.

- Where do you actually reside right now. It ain't california unless you have severe sleep issues.

- Are you in fact American?

- Are you the Mr. Hyde alter ego of another poster on here?

- Who the hell has given you so much karma when it appears that you have actually annoyed most members on here?

- How did you learn so much about everything? Apparently to my friends I have an opinion on everything but I don't seem to create the friction that you do.

Right now I'm considering the possibility that you are in fact a brit, who has a big USA fetish and is feeling deprived by an inability to move over here - just an idea.

Firrst off BritGuyTN if you really wish for someone to answer you sincerely you really should lose the cynicism. Otherwise what is the point in asking as whatever I say will always be in doubt? See?

I'll answer in order:

Yes, I live in California. I am partially self-employed and yes I do work very odd hours, especially lately.

Yes, I am American.

I am no alter ego of another poster.

Don't understand the "Karma" question. What do you mean? I'm assuming that is something to do with this specific forum.

What is it you think I know so much about? Thus far my main contribution to this forum has been advice on those emigrating to America and highlighting quite a bit of anti-Americanism, hostility, and rudeness.

No I am not a Brit, though I have visited your fine country many times.

As I said, I am American. The white part of family has been here since the early 1700s and the rest were indigenous.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:32 pm
  #5  
A lion in your lap
 
elfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Sparta NJ
Posts: 7,605
elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Fig Newton

Don't understand the "Karma" question. What do you mean? I'm assuming that is something to do with this specific forum.
Look under your username on any post and you'll see a row of little blue boxes - that means that a number of people have given you "karma". To check who it was and what they said, click on "my profile" at the top of the screen.
elfman is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:33 pm
  #6  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

I think that's all genuinely interesting Fig. You hold some very strong views on our behaviour on this board, and it's easy to assume that you're someone trolling.

I'm still not 100% convinced though. It's far easier to see your posts as those of a troll. If they're not, then you must admit that you're now actively searching every post for a hint of "anti-Americanism" so that you can launch a counter-attack. Your confusion with the comment "I suppose the country's not going anywhere" in another thread illustrated that.

Is it really worth your energy trying to pick so many individual little fights?
dbj1000 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:34 pm
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by elfman
Look under your username on any post and you'll see a row of little blue boxes - that means that a number of people have given you "karma". To check who it was and what they said, click on "my profile" at the top of the screen.

Ah, I see. Hmm, interesting; nice comments.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:39 pm
  #8  
A lion in your lap
 
elfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Sparta NJ
Posts: 7,605
elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
Ah, I see. Hmm, interesting; nice comments.
Feel free to add your own nice comments by clicking the "Karma" box in the botom LH corner of the post in question.
elfman is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:11 pm
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I think that's all genuinely interesting Fig. You hold some very strong views on our behaviour on this board, and it's easy to assume that you're someone trolling.

I'm still not 100% convinced though. It's far easier to see your posts as those of a troll. If they're not, then you must admit that you're now actively searching every post for a hint of "anti-Americanism" so that you can launch a counter-attack. Your confusion with the comment "I suppose the country's not going anywhere" in another thread illustrated that.

Is it really worth your energy trying to pick so many individual little fights?

I hold strong views on anyone that feels it is proper to be hostile and rude to someone that posts something they don't agree with or like. I also hold strong views on people that come from other countries to live here but yet hold very anti-American views and continously try and put it down and tear it down; views that go well beyond minor irritants or things that people find odd.

I realize that especially in the times that we live in America is an easy target, the whole tall poppy syndrome, and that there has always been a certain level of anti-Americanism coming out of Europe but you really shouldn't be surprised to see an American come on here and and tell certain people here what he or she thinks about their attitudes towards his or her country. Americans may criticize their country, it is our right, but most of us don't try and tear it, and others, down in the process, and most of us do find it offensive to see foreigners doing it, especially when they choose to do it while living here.

Most Americans hold affectionate views towards the UK and the British people and I've always wondered how that attitude would change if they knew how so much anti-Americanism comes out of the UK. I understand that within your culture you feel it is proper to knock and tear down and be cynical but the fact of the matter is you, and most of the others in this forum, are no longer in the UK. That kind of attitude does not go over well in America. So as I read some stories of some people not being happy in America I have to wonder if many are not simply making themselves miserable and angry and in the process bringing others down with them. That's what got me to post in this forum in the first place.

I'm sure there are plenty of decent and helpful people in this forum but their are also a lot of negative and hostile people too. Countering some of their foolish and destructive comments is a lot more productive than what other people choose to do when they call me a "twat," and worse.

I have not picked any "fights" with anyone here nor have I called anyone names or been openly hostile. That said, I am also not a push over, nor am I someone that automatically agrees with a group, like the one here that's more akin to a wolf pack. If you or anyone else find a dissenting opinion offensive and you choose to continue with the name calling and the hostility then it should be quite clear where the "individual little fights" are originating.

The "country's not going anywhere" was an honest mistake as I said within the thread. Try not to be so cynical. There is nothing positive or constructive about that.

Last edited by Fig Newton; Aug 3rd 2005 at 1:17 pm.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:15 pm
  #10  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by elfman
Feel free to add your own nice comments by clicking the "Karma" box in the botom LH corner of the post in question.

Don't believe I recieved one from someone actually contributing to a thread. That being the case I don't see yet where I would have had a reason to do so.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:17 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Rompers's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Infinity and beyond
Posts: 1,324
Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Fig,

What did you do in the Air Force?
Rompers is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:17 pm
  #12  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,932
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
I hold strong views on anyone that feels it is proper to be hostile and rude to someone that posts something they don't agree with or like. I also hold strong views on people that come from other countries to live here but yet hold very anti-American views and continously try and put it down and tear it down; views that go well beyond minor irritants or things that people find odd.

I realize that especially in the times that we live in America is an easy target, the whole tall poppy syndrome, and that there has always been a certain level of anti-Americanism coming out of Europe but you really shouldn't be surprised to see an American come on here and and tell certain people here what he or she thinks about their attitudes towards his or her country. Americans may criticize their country, it is our right, but most of us don't try and tear it, and others, down in the process, and most of us do find it offensive to see foreigners doing it, especially when they choose to do it while living here.

Most Americans hold affectionate views towards the UK and the British people and I've always wondered how that attitude would change if they knew how so much anti-Americanism comes out of the UK. I understand that within your culture you feel it is proper to knock and tear down and be cynical but the fact of the matter is you, and most of the others in this forum, are no longer in the UK. That kind of attitude does not go over well in America. So as I read some stories of some people not being happy in America I have to wonder if many are not simply making themselves miserable and angry and in the process bringing others down with them. That's what got me to post in this forum in the first place.

I'm sure there are plenty of decent and helpful people in this forum but their are also a lot of negative and hostile people too. Countering some of their foolish and destructive comments is a lot more productive than what other people choose to do when they call me a "twat," and worse.

I have not picked any "fights" with anyone here nor have I called anyone names or been openly hostile. That said, I am also not a push over, nor am I someone that automatically agrees with a group, like the one here that's more akin to a wolf pack. If you or anyone else find a dissenting opinion offensive and you choose to continue with the name calling and the hostility then it should be quite clear where the "individual little fights" are originating.

Oh no! It's catching!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/ar...541487,00.html

(Lighten up Fig, this is cyber life, not the real thing.)
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:18 pm
  #13  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Rompers
Fig,

What did you do in the Air Force?

F-16 crewchief Rompers.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:21 pm
  #14  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 269
Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Oh no! It's catching!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/ar...541487,00.html

(Lighten up Fig, this is cyber life, not the real thing.)

Sorry Lion but this is also real life except many do not feel responsible for what they say. It would be better if more people treated it as such.

Thanks for the article. Will read it later.
Fig Newton is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:26 pm
  #15  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,932
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fig Newton Thread - Figgy - please feel free to participate

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
Sorry Lion but this is also real life except many do not feel responsible for what they say. It would be better if more people treated it as such.

Thanks for the article. Will read it later.

Look mate, the Brits are irreverent to the core. It's our attitude toward life.

But you couldn't find a better crowd in a crunch, when the chips are down. You are a military man, so you know the history.

Don't judge from superficial appearance. Loyalty and courage and all that good stuff don't come from saluting the flag and saying the correct things, they come from one's insides.
Lion in Winter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.