British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fianceés K visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fiance%C3%83%C2%A9s-k-visa-124436/)

doctor scrumpy Jan 2nd 2003 3:57 pm

Fianceés K visa

What documents will my lady in the USA need when she applies for a K visa for me ? ie My Birth certificate, divorce papers etc ? And would copies do of these, or do they prefer the originals ?

Cheers for any help, and a Happy 2003 to one & all.

mikemillermn Jan 11th 2003 10:16 pm

Re: Fianceés K visa

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
What documents will my lady in the USA need when she applies for a K visa for me ? ie My Birth certificate, divorce papers etc ? And would copies do of these, or do they prefer the originals ?

Cheers for any help, and a Happy 2003 to one & all.

Hello, I am Mike writing to you from Minnesota, USA.
Your fiancee will need an I 129 F petition which she can fill out and sign.
She will also need a G325 (or 326, I forget the number) Biographical sheet filled out. You will need to fill one of these out as well and sign it. Each one of these requires 3 carbon copies.
She will need a signed statement showing her intent to marry you, you likewise will need to fill out a similiar statment. You can draft these on any word processor and they do not require notarization. (Also, you can download all these forms as www.ins.gov and fill out Adobe filliable pdf files and print them from your printer, this is a very nice option!)

She will need copies of plane tickets, phone bills, e-mails, pictures of the two of you together, and anything else that can prove you have met and have developed a relationship together.
She will need to send in $110.00 fee for processing with these documents made out to the US INS.
She will also need to fill out an affidavit of support showing that she earns more than 125% of poverty guidelines for 2 people (or more if you or she currently has children or other family members living off her salary) You can send a copy of this affidavit with the rest of the documents initially, however, you are officially required to present this at the US Embassy when you go for your interview.

Then, she should receive a notice of action stating a wait time for processing. Processing can vary a lot, from 30 days to 6 months. The INS is a bit slow, just to warn you. After the petition is approved, it is sent by diplomatic pouch to the corresponding US Embassy where you, the beneficiary, lives. The embassy sends you out forms you need to fill out, and requests documents such as your valid passport, birth certificate, police certificate, etc. YOu also must go through a medical examination before the interview. I would estimate the cost of all of this to be around $500.00 for the medical exam and the visa fees the embassy will charge you.

I currently am going through this process and am fed up with the INS, who originally gave me a 70-100 day wait time and then changed it to 150-180 days. I am filing a mass complaint with Senator Mark Dayton of Minnesota. If you run into problems, please contact me at [email protected], and I will be happy to represent your complaint with the senator.
I wish you the best of luck. One positive thing about this process is that over 98% of all petitions are approved, and no lawyer is required to do this process (even though a lawyer would try to convince you this is not true). I really encourage you to contact me , just send an e-mail whenver. I believe all people like us processing the fiancee visa should unite and demand fair and quick responses from the US Government.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Mike

abba48uk Jan 21st 2003 5:58 pm

You might find the marriage based visas Forum more useful to you in your circumstances.