Reload this Page >

FHA Mortgage

FHA Mortgage

Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Phil999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FHA Mortgage

Hi Everyone

I have been told that with an FHA mortgage i only need to put down 5% this would be perfect for me. However i see on the FHA website it asks for 2 years of W2's. I have only been in the US 8 months.

I know i have credit as i just got a AT&T iphone contract with no issues or deposit.

What are my chances of an FHA mortgage? I would be looking for around 350k with about 20k to put down..

Phil
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FHA Mortgage

Depends on the state I think, different areas have different sums involved.

There was a fairly decent thread on this at the beginning of the year I think, you might have some luck with more info if you can find it.

Also, being here only 8 months, your credit history probably really isn't worth all that much. It's the variety of history that's what is most helpful, but for a mortgage score does come into play, but without much history, it'll still be a struggle. It should improve a lot more once you get 12 months worth of history.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:52 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil999
Hi Everyone

I have been told that with an FHA mortgage i only need to put down 5% this would be perfect for me. However i see on the FHA website it asks for 2 years of W2's. I have only been in the US 8 months.

I know i have credit as i just got a AT&T iphone contract with no issues or deposit.

What are my chances of an FHA mortgage? I would be looking for around 350k with about 20k to put down..

Phil
I got an FHA loan with about 18 months credit history and a previous UK mortgage. What area are you looking at? Different States have different FHA limits. I maxed it out and put the rest down in cash, but it was the only type of mortgage I could have got with less than 2 years credit history.

I had to provide a copy of my UK mortgage though and also my UK credit history also showing the mortgage.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Phil999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking at 350k in CA.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on your county but the big cities go up to about $750K. Check your county in the following link.

https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/hicost1.cfm
Old Jun 11th 2012, 2:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I got an FHA loan with about 18 months credit history and a previous UK mortgage. What area are you looking at? Different States have different FHA limits. I maxed it out and put the rest down in cash, but it was the only type of mortgage I could have got with less than 2 years credit history.

I had to provide a copy of my UK mortgage though and also my UK credit history also showing the mortgage.
EDIT: I did have to supply 2 years worth of W2s though.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Actually FHA is usually around 3.5% down. You can get conventional loans (that tend to work out a little cheaper) for 5% down, at least up here.

We just went through the same thing, 2 years of my W-2s wasn't enough for the local credit union, I had to wait until I was with my current employer for 2 years.

The underwriting criteria have changed massively here in the last 4-5 years, during the boom years anybody who had had a pulse in the previous six months could get a loan; These days they are much more stringent.

I'd talk to a couple of local credit unions and see what they have to say.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to be a PR for an FHA loan.
You will not get the headline lowest interest rates credit history or not.
Also with small down payment in this market it will likely be a long time before you build any equity.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think they asked me for my residency status here when we talked to the credit union. Of course they might always check later on, but we're not going for an FHA loan anyway.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I think you need to be a PR for an FHA loan.
You will not get the headline lowest interest rates credit history or not.
Also with small down payment in this market it will likely be a long time before you build any equity.
FHA are 100% government guaranteed mortgages with mortgage insurance where conventional mortgages with less than 20% down require PMI but only cover the first 20% default on the mortgage. Therefore when a bank offers FHA mortgages, there is no risk so one should shop around for the best rate which should be better than conventional mortgages with less than 20% down.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I don't think they asked me for my residency status here when we talked to the credit union. Of course they might always check later on, but we're not going for an FHA loan anyway.
You may as well tell them up front. Otherwise, the fat lady won't sing on closing day while they're deciding how much to bump the rate up.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You may as well tell them up front. Otherwise, the fat lady won't sing on closing day while they're deciding how much to bump the rate up.
Any excuse will do, I know...

Actually I *am* a PR so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Any excuse will do, I know...

Actually I *am* a PR so that shouldn't be an issue.
That should be fine. Make sure you take your GC to the closing.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a permanent resident and we got an FHA loan with only one year's tax return. As for taking time to build up equity, if you pay extra each month, or one extra mortgage payment a year, apparently it cuts your length of the debt by around a third, which I assume, will allow you to get rid of the mortgage insurance quicker. I think we pay around $258 a month on mortgage insurance.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Brat1
I'm not a permanent resident and we got an FHA loan with only one year's tax return. As for taking time to build up equity, if you pay extra each month, or one extra mortgage payment a year, apparently it cuts your length of the debt by around a third, which I assume, will allow you to get rid of the mortgage insurance quicker. I think we pay around $258 a month on mortgage insurance.
Yes we pay something similar. I'd forgotten some of the details of my application for which you've just reminded me. I did submit 2 years of tax returns but only 1 years W2 as that's all I had (I am actually a USC despite having lived in the UK nearly all my life so I backfiled my tax returns but didn't have a W2 for the previous year as I was in the UK still then).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.