Reload this Page >

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I agree, but how do you make it easier and quicker to bring in a spouse without shifting priorities away from processing requests from companies for workers, or asylum seekers (they do exist here), or children born in the US sponsoring their foreign born parents...... it's down to number of people brought in and the resources available to staff processing.

Since immigration, *all* immigration, is looked on disparagingly by many USCs, the handful of us who are trying to bring in spouses or come over as spouses fall by the wayside.

Because there's no concept of being a good world citizen any more. That idea has died in the US -- we're still up for world bully but no longer for kind role model. That role's been played by the UK & Canada in accepting so many refugees and immigrants, but since the bombings in the UK, I think the populace will become ever-antagonistic towards immigration, which will probably change the "one-day turnaround" as a side effect.

We now make laws to hinder the "bad" people at the expense of hindering everyone.... rather than making laws to enable the "good" people to simply live their lives. The glass is now half-empty.
All I can say is that I have come across no negativities at all, some comments about the colonial aspect but all in good fun
The UK situation as far as Legal immigration is unlikely to change, perhaps some extra enquiries on security from profiled risks.

As far as Assylum seekers, 90 odd % are bogus, forget the exact percentage, an outdated concept that would no doubt have not lasted much longer without the added impetus of recent atrocities.

The US situation I think has not a lot to do with staffing, but procedures. I waited a year for a K1 and 15 months for GC, 99% of which I am sure was just sitting somewhere.

Might improve, actually it has in some areas but not significantly unless there is a procedural review, unlikely.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I (did) have my adjustment interview scheduled for first thing tomorrow in Memphrica.

Just had a call from that office saying they were closing today because the 'air-conditioning had broken down and people were passing out' This smacks of the 'leaves on the line' british rail joke. Its f#cking summer in memphis, get some fans and portable A/C units for crying out loud.

They gave me 3 alternate dates. 2 of which I am out of state on non-cancellable events ( in weddings etc)

the date 'you have to accept' is the morning after the afternoon I fly back from chicago. so basically I get off the plane in nashville, toddle home, then get in the car to drive 200 miles. if i didn't take this date then it would be a
appointment next year.

whats also pissed me off is that I had to have a bunch of immuisations for the appointment at a time when my health is less than ideal.

ALSO, I was treated like an ignorant uneducated person despite the fact I am postive I contribute far more to the american and tennessee economy in terms of taxes that the immigration officer in question does.

Boy can I relate tonight too! I guess the bottom line is that they just don't give a toss grrrr... I just hear story after story of complications, mistakes and cock-ups from my attorney on a weekly basis too.

They excelled themselves with me this week too! My labor cert was with DOL in Atlanta since the end of May and we got told we were getting approval in the mail several weeks ago, never did show up and since we filed by mail we couldn't use the online certification as they said they dont assign case numbers to paper applications (go figure). Anyways we call them last week and everything is "lost" and I am told to resubmit from scratch. With my J1 expiring Oct 12 - I do not have 60-90 days and now our job ads are almost out of date. What other choice tho than to comply - so we filed online.

Apparently the Chief Director of PERM has now quit and the system is in disarray. People are being approved in 3 days - people who applied 3 months ago have no answer - its just a mess. They did a rerun at the end of July and now everyone seems to be "In Process" ....no doubt for an eternity!

Unbeknowns to me, a good friend of mine (a USC) got so mad she wrote to 4 senators and congress people, and told me after the fact.. I thought it was very sweet that she was trying to help and didn't think any more of it... just prepared to try for a student visa and give up on this.. anyways today I got a phone call from a TN Senator's office asking for information and signing a form for them to access my records. Not holding out much hope, but you never know?

General question to those who came on work/trainee type visas- had you all known the pitfalls and hoops you were going to have to jump through and the general inefficiencies of the system - would you still have done it?

I have days when I think sod it all, I am off home - but then I think OK, back to the drawing board, lets keep trying... Onward thru the fog!!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:48 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It seem its all down to money..read the ombudsman report

http://www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlib...eport_2005.pdf
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:56 am
ImHere

Money makes the world go round....or not.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
It seem its all down to money..read the ombudsman report

http://www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlib...eport_2005.pdf

Nothing to do with piss-poor management and no accountabilty, then?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Boy can I relate tonight too! ...
General question to those who came on work/trainee type visas- had you all known the pitfalls and hoops you were going to have to jump through and the general inefficiencies of the system - would you still have done it?

I have days when I think sod it all, I am off home - but then I think OK, back to the drawing board, lets keep trying... Onward thru the fog!!!
My feelings, exactly! And no, we would not have come, had we known...

As for Ray's comment about the money: we paid nearly three grand for the green card application fees alone (not counting lawyer's fees...) - surely this should be sufficient for some bod to process our paperwork?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
My feelings, exactly! And no, we would not have come, had we known...

As for Ray's comment about the money: we paid nearly three grand for the green card application fees alone (not counting lawyer's fees...) - surely this should be sufficient for some bod to process our paperwork?

Probably breaks down to $2,900 to store all the paperwork for the 2 years, then $100 to process it.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The one item I though was amazing was the fact that with the DORA scheme
in Texas in May 2004 through June 3, 2005, DORA scheduled 12,037 appointments. Of these applicants, 2,183 (18 percent) failed to appear at the District Office to file their application and undergo an eligibility interview.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:34 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Ray
The one item I though was amazing was the fact that with the DORA scheme
in Texas in May 2004 through June 3, 2005, DORA scheduled 12,037 appointments. Of these applicants, 2,183 (18 percent) failed to appear at the District Office to file their application and undergo an eligibility interview.
Did they actually mail the appointments?
Did they manage to send them to the right address?
Did they manage to send them to the right people?
Were the people still alive or had the died during the wait?
Did they mail them with sufficient notice?
Were applicants able to contact the office to reschedule?

For a normal service, these questions would be superfluous. For USCIS, they are right on the ball!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Amerigo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
OMG does this sound familiar!!!

The amount this US healthcare "system" (if you can call it that!) wastes on administrative inefficiency is a scandal.

At the same time they can't even afford to cover all their citizens. Makes you sick...

On the health System- where the do they put the money ? Poorer nations in the world seem to do a better job ? They can definately afford health cover for all ?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Amerigo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amerigo
On the health System- where the do they put the money ? Poorer nations in the world seem to do a better job ? They can definately afford health cover for all ?
Well, looks like if you are tired of the private sector , join the USCIS, sit on your back side all day, no accountability and your job is secure, a steady supply of immigrants ! If they complain , you toss them off !!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

If they complain , you toss them off !!
Is this the right choice of words. I did not know there were perks.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, looks like if you are tired of the private sector , join the USCIS, sit on your back side all day, no accountability and your job is secure, a steady supply of immigrants ! If they complain , you toss them off !!
Flipping heck, just as well my wife went to the interview with me and neither of made any complaints.

Service with a smile has a whole new meaning.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The voters want it this way. I think it's pretty reassuring for anyone concerned about immigration to find out that it takes *years* to legally immigrate here. It's obviously not upsetting enough voters.

To me it's not so much a sign of a falling empire as a sign that forget China, we should start seriously worrying about human rights in *this* country.

There's a huge revenue in people going out of status and being fined while their applications take so long to process. Some years back, congress was voting each month on whether to throw people who had run out of status (through no fault of their own) out of the country- in the general debating it came out that the revenue from 'out of status' fines was $750 million a year.

Believe it or not things have improved greatly since we first came out- our green cards took 8 years, during which time we were not allowed to enquire about our case- we'd hear nothing for years, despite the lawyer saying things should be imminent - unbelievable.

Incompetence or whatever...seems the same. Losing fingerprints, losing medicals, computer errors messing up all applications (presumably sending your application to the bottom of the pile again)....and their sending them to a different office. Our experience was classic, thank god we weren't paying for all the fines etc but had to fork out for the repeated medicals ourselves- and they actually lost hubby's fingerprints TWICE. Hubby was the main applicant and we finally got our greencards 18 months before he got his...and they sent us two each..
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If the 'Mericuns on the Marriage forum are anything to go by, there doesn't seem to be the will for improvement. If you don't like it, don't *****ing come seems to be the message I get. And if you did come and don't like it, ***** off back home. Amazes me how this place continues to run... It'll catch up with them eventually, though.
I'm left wondering what it is exactly that the 'Mericuns over at Marriage are supposed to do? There are a lot of reasons things with US Immigration are the way they are, and very, VERY little we as individuals can do about it. The purpose of that group is to help out the people who are having problems *now*with the tools that are available *now*.

And if you find the Marriage group posters unmotivated, then I'd have to say no, we'd not be the gauge to judge general Americans by. They care about 200% *less* than avum-b posters.

Useless to preach to the choir, I know. I'm no USCIS apologist--everyone should've just done it the way we did and skip USCIS altogether. We haven't had a single problem (knock wood).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.