Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They sit on stuff for ever and there is absolutely no accountability. Would be sad for a banana republic; for the so-called superpower it's just another sign that the sun is setting.
The voters want it this way. I think it's pretty reassuring for anyone concerned about immigration to find out that it takes *years* to legally immigrate here. It's obviously not upsetting enough voters.

To me it's not so much a sign of a falling empire as a sign that forget China, we should start seriously worrying about human rights in *this* country.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrcusa
Because if you want to take your wife / husband to the UK, approval is 7 days, and if all is in order it can be done as quickly as the same day.
In YOUR case that good ... Unfortunately I can't tell the guy ..who set himself alight outside Lunar house ..because he was going to be removed from the country.... Not everybody is in your position....
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The voters want it this way. I think it's pretty reassuring for anyone concerned about immigration to find out that it takes *years* to legally immigrate here. It's obviously not upsetting enough voters.

To me it's not so much a sign of a falling empire as a sign that forget China, we should start seriously worrying about human rights in *this* country.
Fine if the voters want it that way. Process and finish the paperwork, and then post-date the visa for a year hence on issuance. And all government departments are a waste of space, just happens that USCIS are slightly worse than others.

Where are these human rights? Never seen them myself (came in 2000 BTW)!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Fine if the voters want it that way. Process and finish the paperwork, and then post-date the visa for a year hence on issuance. And all government departments are a waste of space, just happens that USCIS are slightly worse than others.

Where are these human rights? Never seen them myself (came in 2000 BTW)!
Wait.... you want a coherent, efficient government? (PMSL)
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Wait.... you want a coherent, efficient government? (PMSL)

Nope, not that delusional! But the current state at USCIS is beyond a joke. Or rather, the fact that USCs do not think it's a joke is beyond a joke if you get my drift.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to disagree.

Nobody here that I have spoken to has the slightest idea that it takes this long and what is involved.

The comments tend to be directed more to those who walk in, immigration/immigrant where I am is often a term for Mexican Illegal, bit like the use of assylum seeker in the UK

I have participated in a few threads in the Marriage Based Forum, none of this makes a lot of sense to me, many of the procedures are not needed at all, AP and EAD for example. I can not imagine that the process was designed, just an unfortunated collection of procedures thyat make no sense as a whole.

My guess is that the Lunar House comment was to do with a failed assylum seeker, bearing in mind the chances of this happening you would have thought the logical reaction was to put it down to bad luck and pop back in again.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:40 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you could say that yes.

In Feb 2004 I filed my I-751 for the removal of conditions, with a shedload of evidence that the marraige is valid and was entered into in good faith.

well 18 *****ing months later (ie, Saturday.....) I get a note saying They need more stuff.
It took them 18 months to work it out?
In July I sent Nebraska a letter enquiring where my decision was, as it was 6 months after they showed on the website that it had been processed.

Then I get the letter requesting further evidence.

Between me you and the gatepost. I think they lost everything and when they got the letter realised they couldn't find my info and are asking me to resubmit the evidence.

tossers the lot of them.
Nebraska dealt with all my initial paperwork as we lived in Chicago, what a f'ing waste of space that place is
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Nebraska dealt with all my initial paperwork as we lived in Chicago, what a f'ing waste of space that place is
Apparently they are quite speedy on naturalisations, we will see.

But certainly not on K1.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Actually the "you" was a general "you" as in everyone me included. We have just spent 4 hours trying to coerce our health insurance company into managing to send us a bill for how much we owe for some minor treatment 2 months ago and they are singularly unable to do this. Dont ask me why. So we shall get a nasty letter from the hospital demanding payment for a bill the insurance company cant issue to us due to incompetence. And the hospital will probably get cross and threaten legal action even though we try to explan we cant pay it since we have no idea how much it is until the insurance company issue the bill. Which they cant. Will the insurance co and hospital talk to each other to sort this out? No of course not because that would be the competent solution. Instead they will both get nasty with us and demand we do something even though we cant until they do their something. And so it will go on. Meanwhile my UK bank manages to carry out requests and transactions I ask of them quickly and efficiently even though I am not resident there. And Americans complain about UK customer service. Ho Hum.

OMG does this sound familiar!!!

The amount this US healthcare "system" (if you can call it that!) wastes on administrative inefficiency is a scandal.

At the same time they can't even afford to cover all their citizens. Makes you sick...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray
In YOUR case that good ... Unfortunately I can't tell the guy ..who set himself alight outside Lunar house ..because he was going to be removed from the country.... Not everybody is in your position....

You are throwing in another parameter here, "...because he was going to be removed from the country" Was he not legally in the UK?

I am talking about the regular run of the mill applications that USCIS screw up.

The UK Immigration website warns that not ALL applications can be processed the same day!! They will however try to turn applications around in the day.

Martin
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:50 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Apparently they are quite speedy on naturalisations, we will see.

But certainly not on K1.
I was a K1 and I'd have to agree
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:13 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by mrcusa

The UK Immigration website warns that not ALL applications can be processed the same day!! They will however try to turn applications around in the day.

Martin
An S.A. friend sent in his app. for his 'ILR' in the U.K. the one morning, and got it that afternoon! This happened a week or so ago.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:15 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

That is exactly it. Unfortunately for them, many highly qualified and motivated people who would have contributed tremendously to this country, especially in the fields of creating a lot of employment, don't even think about emigrating here due to the red-tape.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:28 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Boiler
I tend to disagree.

Nobody here that I have spoken to has the slightest idea that it takes this long and what is involved.

The comments tend to be directed more to those who walk in, immigration/immigrant where I am is often a term for Mexican Illegal, bit like the use of assylum seeker in the UK.
I agree, but how do you make it easier and quicker to bring in a spouse without shifting priorities away from processing requests from companies for workers, or asylum seekers (they do exist here), or children born in the US sponsoring their foreign born parents...... it's down to number of people brought in and the resources available to staff processing.

Since immigration, *all* immigration, is looked on disparagingly by many USCs, the handful of us who are trying to bring in spouses or come over as spouses fall by the wayside.

Because there's no concept of being a good world citizen any more. That idea has died in the US -- we're still up for world bully but no longer for kind role model. That role's been played by the UK & Canada in accepting so many refugees and immigrants, but since the bombings in the UK, I think the populace will become ever-antagonistic towards immigration, which will probably change the "one-day turnaround" as a side effect.

We now make laws to hinder the "bad" people at the expense of hindering everyone.... rather than making laws to enable the "good" people to simply live their lives. The glass is now half-empty.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
<<snip>>people have even tried to commit suicide outside Lunar house in Croydon (UK Immigration )
I hope you had no hand in such protests!

Roll with punches... its all you can do ... it all gets there in the end ..
I don't suppose you can empathasize with the situation, can you? Does it bear any resemblence to your immigration experience?

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.