A Few Worries....

A Few Worries....

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Location: Presently in Wakefield, England; moving to Savannah, Georgia soon
Moony is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A Few Worries....

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so I'll explain a bit about our situation. I'm an American, currently living in England with my English husband. We've been married for nearly 3 years (November 23, 2002) and are in the process of acquiring a visa for my husband. We are only waiting on his police certificate to be returned and then we'll be sending the info off requesting his interview date.

I've lived in the UK for the whole of our marriage and both my husband and I have good credit in the UK. We each have credit cards here, store cards and my husband has a loan with our bank. My questions (worries) are....

Will we be able to keep our credit cards when we move to the US? Or will those no longer be valid?

My husband has never lived in the US and, thus, has no credit there. I do have credit there, however, its not the best credit. I have much better credit since coming to the UK and growing up a bit. I've learned that such things are very, very important. Will we have a problem getting a mortgage because of this? We will have a 5% deposit on a place when we go. I would like for it to be more, however, we don't own our house in the UK, so we don't have that money as a fall back. We do have some savings, which would be what we would use as our downpayment.

Also, we hope to have interviews lined up for when we arrive in the States so that we can have jobs within a week or 2 of arriving, but will this make it impossible to get a mortgage? We could rent, but that would use up the savings we have for a downpayment. Also, we have a small dog who will be immigrating with us and I know its notoriously difficult to find rental accomodation that will allow animals.

I'm just very worried about this. My family don't seem to have any answers, so I thought I would come here where others had already had the experience and see if anyone had any advice/answers/words of encouragement. Thanks a lot to anyone who comments!

Moony
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:50 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Few Worries....

Originally Posted by Moony
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so I'll explain a bit about our situation. I'm an American, currently living in England with my English husband. We've been married for nearly 3 years (November 23, 2002) and are in the process of acquiring a visa for my husband. We are only waiting on his police certificate to be returned and then we'll be sending the info off requesting his interview date.

I've lived in the UK for the whole of our marriage and both my husband and I have good credit in the UK. We each have credit cards here, store cards and my husband has a loan with our bank. My questions (worries) are....

Will we be able to keep our credit cards when we move to the US? Or will those no longer be valid?

My husband has never lived in the US and, thus, has no credit there. I do have credit there, however, its not the best credit. I have much better credit since coming to the UK and growing up a bit. I've learned that such things are very, very important. Will we have a problem getting a mortgage because of this? We will have a 5% deposit on a place when we go. I would like for it to be more, however, we don't own our house in the UK, so we don't have that money as a fall back. We do have some savings, which would be what we would use as our downpayment.

Also, we hope to have interviews lined up for when we arrive in the States so that we can have jobs within a week or 2 of arriving, but will this make it impossible to get a mortgage? We could rent, but that would use up the savings we have for a downpayment. Also, we have a small dog who will be immigrating with us and I know its notoriously difficult to find rental accomodation that will allow animals.

I'm just very worried about this. My family don't seem to have any answers, so I thought I would come here where others had already had the experience and see if anyone had any advice/answers/words of encouragement. Thanks a lot to anyone who comments!

Moony
Ah - Savannah Georgia.. my very favorite place

I moved here (Ohio) a few years ago from UK, and this is how i built credit.

I put some money into a bank account, and took out a loan against it for 24 months (4% interest). After 6 months i started receiving credit card applications at nasty interest rates. I took one, used it and always left $5 on it. By 9 months my bank had given me a car loan, and now my credit score is over 700.

Things to remember when building a credit score.. the longer you have been with a bank the better. The fact you havent used an account doesnt matter, as long as you have ties to that institution.. perhaps you have some account still open in US although you are not currently here? The longer you remain at a single address the better, and generally one you have lived at for over 3 years is best (i appreciate this isnt immediate help, but bear it in mind for the future!). The more refusals you get, the more you credit score reduces.. each knock-back prolongs the agony so dont keep applying if you get refused - wait a while!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Moony
on the credit side - get an Amex card in the UK and they will swop for a US one - this has got me a good credit history quickly - colleagues here for 3 years have worse ones! You can keep your UK cards but if you tell them you are moving they might cancel them.

Think you will need very good luck to get a mortgage without credit history and no income - hope it works out though! Also the visa might take some time to come through?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

We could rent, but that would use up the savings we have for a downpayment. Also, we have a small dog who will be immigrating with us and I know its notoriously difficult to find rental accomodation that will allow animals.

Moony
Hi, regarding renting / animals, I don't think you will find it as hard as you may think to find somewhere that will take pets.... of course it's not the same area, but I have only seen restrictions on the size of pets on most of the places I looked at, so renting might be an option? Have a look on www.rent.com as a starting point maybe and go from there... You could get maybe a 10 month lease, and get your husband a secured (and yes, ridiculously expensive) credit card to get started, and try and build some credit during that time. I used Plains Commerce Bank and it seems to work - within 3 months I got a car loan at a decent rate, then get rid of it once you are up and running.

Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Moony
Just wondering whether you'd seen this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299319

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:16 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Moony
You could rent for 6 months and use the money you would use to pay your mortgage to pay your rent.

Small dogs are ok normally, well thats what I found.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:24 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Small dogs are ok normally, well thats what I found.
How many have you eaten then...

Mortagages ..its actually easier to get a mortgage while you are working in the UK..albeit with a 20% deposit.. that it will be when you arrive..
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:31 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ray]How many have you eaten then...

As you can see by my avtar, I more of a pussy lover myself...
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Moony,
If I can help let me know, I live in a "bedroom community" outside Savannah.