Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A few UK passport questions

A few UK passport questions

Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

eoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really nice
Default A few UK passport questions

Hey guys,

I am new to the site and have a few questions. I read the sticky and have searched for some answers on my questions but didn't really find anything that is relevant to me.

I've been living in NYC for 6 years now and my UK passport is set to expire in 2 months. Due to immigration problems I have been unable to leave the country for 3 years, however thankfully I am finally able to sort out that mess shortly.

Now, I was not born in the UK and neither were my parents. I have my UK passport due to hereditary reasons. I had a child passport at first and then 10 years ago renewed it and got my current one. I was in London at the time. that process was astonishingly smooth. On the c-1 form is states that I need to mention my fathers passport number and also if neither parents were born in the UK then I need to list the full names of my grandparents and where they were born.

My father died 3 years ago and I could not be there to help sort out the affairs ( due to my situation here ). I have no idea what his passport number was? Also, his parents died before I was born so I knew nothing about them at all. My mother is taking ages in getting back to me to hopefully tell me the info but what if she doesnt remember? I would have assumed they have this information already as I have had two UK passports already. How should I go about this? Should I just state on the application that I do not know that info? As far as I am aware you cannot call the UK consulates in the USA anymore, and I live to far from DC to go in. I am just worried I am going to get denied my new passport for some irrelevant information.

Thanks for any assistance in this matter, hope you are all well.

Ian
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few UK passport questions

Perhaps elaborate on "hereditary reasons". You normally need a UK-born or naturalised parent to be a British citizen, although there are exceptions to this. And normally a valid British passport can be renewed without you needing to provide other documentation but again, there are exceptions to this.

Have you any other document that shows you are a British citizen? Consular birth certificate or Home Office Certificate of Registration, for example.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

Originally Posted by eoyn
Hey guys,

I am new to the site and have a few questions. I read the sticky and have searched for some answers on my questions but didn't really find anything that is relevant to me.

I've been living in NYC for 6 years now and my UK passport is set to expire in 2 months. Due to immigration problems I have been unable to leave the country for 3 years, however thankfully I am finally able to sort out that mess shortly.

Now, I was not born in the UK and neither were my parents. I have my UK passport due to hereditary reasons. I had a child passport at first and then 10 years ago renewed it and got my current one. I was in London at the time. that process was astonishingly smooth. On the c-1 form is states that I need to mention my fathers passport number and also if neither parents were born in the UK then I need to list the full names of my grandparents and where they were born.

My father died 3 years ago and I could not be there to help sort out the affairs ( due to my situation here ). I have no idea what his passport number was? Also, his parents died before I was born so I knew nothing about them at all. My mother is taking ages in getting back to me to hopefully tell me the info but what if she doesnt remember? I would have assumed they have this information already as I have had two UK passports already. How should I go about this? Should I just state on the application that I do not know that info? As far as I am aware you cannot call the UK consulates in the USA anymore, and I live to far from DC to go in. I am just worried I am going to get denied my new passport for some irrelevant information.

Thanks for any assistance in this matter, hope you are all well.

Ian
Hmm, this is a perplexing situation. I am in no way an expert, but here's my two cents...
I'm assuming your current passport is an Adult one.
If so, it should be a renewal. They should have all of your information on file. When you renew you also have to send in your old or current passport, so I think it itself that should prove your citizenship. However, you do need to send in your birth certificate. Preferably a consulate one. Also keep your fingers crossed that your mother gets back to you soon with her info, because you do need it.
On the application it will ask you if your father has a UK passport. Tick no. Since he has passed away he technically doesn't have one. But provide all other details they ask. I would also state in the extra information section that your father is deceased.

You can also call the passport care-line, the cost is harsh, but well worth it for the correct info.

+44 208 082 4721 (Credit Card Line - calls will be charged at £0.72 per minute plus VAT). +1 900 945 2220 for the USA, calls will be charged at USD 2.50 per minute and +1 900 783 5791

I was unable to get through to the US number for the call line since most cell phones can't call 900 numbers, so I used Skype and called the Brit number and was only charged about a dollar.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachiea2610
Hmm, this is a perplexing situation. I am in no way an expert, but here's my two cents...
I'm assuming your current passport is an Adult one.
If so, it should be a renewal. They should have all of your information on file. When you renew you also have to send in your old or current passport, so I think it itself that should prove your citizenship. However, you do need to send in your birth certificate. Preferably a consulate one. Also keep your fingers crossed that your mother gets back to you soon with her info, because you do need it.
You do not normally need to send birth certificates etc. for a renewal.

You can also call the passport care-line, the cost is harsh, but well worth it for the correct info.
Very few helplines, either free or paid, provide high quality information.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

eoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really niceeoyn is just really nice

Hey guys,

thanks for all the advice. My current passport is a Adult one, I also forgot to mention that I was born in South Africa. My father got his passport through his father and mine through him, so I do not have a consulate birth certificate, just a regular south african one.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

Hey guys,

thanks for all the advice. My current passport is a Adult one, I also forgot to mention that I was born in South Africa. My father got his passport through his father and mine through him, so I do not have a consulate birth certificate, just a regular south african one.

Thanks again.
I was under the impression that children of people who got their citizenship through descent weren't entitled to citizenship. You learn something new every day!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachiea2610
I was under the impression that children of people who got their citizenship through descent weren't entitled to citizenship. You learn something new every day!
There are certain circumstances under which this is possible.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Thanks again.
Consular birth registration is not an option for anyone born in South Africa.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

For some reason I think it might have been an option at some point in the past. If it was, I'm not sure when it ended.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hey rachiea2610 ,

you saved my life with those numbers! Thank you so much! I called the UK hotline and was told because it is a full passport and a simple renewal that the information I was stressing about is simply not needed. Oh lord, what a relief! Gotta love the UK passport system.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hey rachiea2610 ,

you saved my life with those numbers! Thank you so much! I called the UK hotline and was told because it is a full passport and a simple renewal that the information I was stressing about is simply not needed. Oh lord, what a relief! Gotta love the UK passport system.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Ian
No problem, . I'm so glad i could be of use!

Rachael
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Consular birth registration is not an option for anyone born in South Africa.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

For some reason I think it might have been an option at some point in the past. If it was, I'm not sure when it ended.
Prior to 1983, consular birth registration was a way to acquire UK & Colonies citizenship for the 2nd and subsequent generation born abroad. But only those born in "foreign" countries, ie outside the Commonwealth/Ireland.

South Africa was non-Commonwealth in those days so they had to offer consular birth registration.

Some people registered that way became British citizens in 1983, a few became British Dependent Territories citizens and quite a few, especially those more than 2 generations removed from the U.K., became British Overseas citizens on 1.1.83
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:38 am
JAJ
Retired

HOWEVER - you've now found out how vulnerable you are in case your passport is lost or you are asked for some other reason to re-prove your British citizenship.

You need to get hold of the source paperwork that proves your British citizenship.