Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A few questions for you ....

A few questions for you ....

Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions for you ....

Thanks guys ... very helpful

I'll persevere with the washer for a few more loads and see if there is any difference in the wash. I'd noticed marks didn't come out of shirts and towels, but perhaps I was putting too much in? Plus it doesn't have an actuator (was told this was better by the salesman, but when I rang up about it the saleswoman said actuators are actually better for cleaner washing).

Costco card on the to-do list.

Salt in dishwashers .. used to put dishwasher salt and rinsing agent in my Miele (miss that with a vengeance) but there is nowhere to put salt in this JennAir one. Is it normal for dishwashers to have the heater in the bottom rather than integrated?

Yes, you might have guessed it .. I'm washing/cleaning obsessed!

As for the compost bin idea .. after reading your posts about the wildlife I'll give it a miss. Down the sink thing it goes from now on!

Thanks again
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Must be the water then
I only put salt in my UK dishwasher for the first few months...didn't notice any difference after that. Now someone's mentioned it I think it is because of the water.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:27 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
As for the compost bin idea .. after reading your posts about the wildlife I'll give it a miss. Down the sink thing it goes from now on!

Thanks again

Watch your fingers and spoons!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll persevere with the washer for a few more loads and see if there is any difference in the wash. I'd noticed marks didn't come out of shirts and towels, but perhaps I was putting too much in? Plus it doesn't have an actuator (was told this was better by the salesman, but when I rang up about it the saleswoman said actuators are actually better for cleaner washing).

Salt in dishwashers .. used to put dishwasher salt and rinsing agent in my Miele (miss that with a vengeance) but there is nowhere to put salt in this JennAir one. Is it normal for dishwashers to have the heater in the bottom rather than integrated?

Thanks again
Had many dishwashers over the years heater has always been on the bottom. they always come out dry
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're a man.
True. I also do pretty much all my washing and am very particular about it! I do all the cooking too. I did a whole bunch of research before buying the washer and am pleased that it worked out.

On the subject of actuators, yes they are better for the actual cleaning BUT they are also pretty bad for your clothes.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:31 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Watch your fingers and spoons!
and washing up cloths. We had one of those go down and they get tangled and shredded in a second.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
True. I also do pretty much all my washing and am very particular about it! I do all the cooking too. I did a whole bunch of research before buying the washer and am pleased that it worked out.

On the subject of actuators, yes they are better for the actual cleaning BUT they are also pretty bad for your clothes.
Do you mean agitator? I used a top loader for 2 years when we lived in a rental...it ruins clothes IMHO. I also found loads of lint all over the clothes.

Good for you BTW...I was only joking about the 'man' thing.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:39 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
and washing up cloths. We had one of those go down and they get tangled and shredded in a second.
It used to make me nervous sticking my hand in there to remove items that had fallen in! Our present house doesn't have one. The sink waste just runs out a pipe to the ditch.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you mean agitator? I used a top loader for 2 years when we lived in a rental...it ruins clothes IMHO. I also found loads of lint all over the clothes.

Good for you BTW...I was only joking about the 'man' thing.
That's my fault calling it an actuator!

See, I've lots to learn lol
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You're not the only one. I know people here that do as well.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

Seen as I already asked about salt for dishwashers.....am glad I didnt ask about actuators
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Thanks again
I can't say much about the washer, but for cleaner clothes, try adding a laundry booster like Biz or Borax to your wash, along with the detergent. My mom uses both at once. The Biz has enzymes or something that break down grease and stains better than detergent. For tough stains, soak overnight in Biz and water in a big bucket.

Oh and you can buy those pretty much anywhere detergent is sold.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ooo another quick question ...

Just having some furniture delivered. Do I tip the guys who are delivering and putting together??

And if so, how much?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Ooo another quick question ...

Just having some furniture delivered. Do I tip the guys who are delivering and putting together??

And if so, how much?
Whatever you think they were worth
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Whatever you think they were worth
I don't normally because we've usually had to pay between $50/100 for delivery. However when our bedroom furniture was delivered it took quite a while for them to assemble and position it so I have them $10 each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.