Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Few LA Relocation questions: Driving, NHS, Insurance....

A Few LA Relocation questions: Driving, NHS, Insurance....

Old Aug 7th 2015, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Fatboyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Few LA Relocation questions: Driving, NHS, Insurance....

Hi

Days away from emigrating and have a few questions if peeps could help please:

Driving Licence
I've been told both that a) I need to apply for and pass a driving licence/test but also b) my UK licence will do me just fine.

Which is it?
I won't have a SS No. for a while as I'm on an L2 Visa.

Also, do I need to tell the UK DVLA that I'm leaving the country? I checked the website and don't have time for them to reissue a new licence with my parents address in the UK so wondered if it needs doing at all seeing as i don't have a car

NHS
Do I need to tell my doctor Im moving abroad?

Insurance
Do I need special travel insurance or anything like that as part of my move?
We have annual worldwide insurance currently. Is there any kind of emigration insurance I need? Presuming i only need insurance for the flight out there as we'll then get covered as part of my wife's medicare

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2015, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Few LA Relocation questions: Driving, NHS, Insurance....

Your UK is "just fine", until you become resident for the purposes of needing a CA license. Indicators that you have become residence include, but are not confined to, renting or buying a home, taking a job, starting a business, putting your child(ren) into school, etc. In short you need a CA license, and you need one about as soon as you can get it.

IIRC California gives you a very short time to get a local license, and this will be impossible given that you will need to take a road test, but get started and be sure that you are "using your best endeavors" to get a license ASAP.

The confusion arises because people think that "non-immigrant visa" = "not resident for DL purposes". The two matters are entirely unconnected with immigration governed by federal law, and DL requirements set by states' laws.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2015 at 2:03 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your UK is "just fine", until you become resident for the purposes of needing a CA license. Indicators that you have become residence include, but are not confined to, renting or buying a home, taking a job, starting a business, putting your child(ren) into school, etc. In short you need a CA license, and you need one about as soon as you can get it.

To be fair - CA DMV isn't quite so clear cut as to what constitutes residency and what could be "visiting". To quote the DMV's web site:-

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
From that its really not clear if merely renting a house or working in the state would make you legally a California resident (esp if you owned property out of state etc).

Having said that, it still makes sense to get a CA license ASAP, if only 'cos it makes buying a beer that much less hassle...
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
To be fair - CA DMV isn't quite so clear cut as to what constitutes residency and what could be "visiting". To quote the DMV's web site:-

From that its really not clear if merely renting a house or working in the state would make you legally a California resident (esp if you owned property out of state etc).

Having said that, it still makes sense to get a CA license ASAP, if only 'cos it makes buying a beer that much less hassle...
CA DMV also has this much longer, and more prescriptive list of residency flags (which I paraphrased above from memory), so even the DMV is not especially clear on the point!

Am I a California Resident?

You are considered a California resident if you are present in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis for 6 months or more in a 12-month period (CVC §516) and/or California is the state where:

You are registered to vote.

You are gainfully employed. Military personnel are not considered gainfully employed in California, even if they also hold a civilian job.

Your place of business is located.

Resident tuition is paid at a public institution of higher education.

Dependents attend a primary or secondary school.

Homeowner's property tax exemption is declared.

Property is leased for use as a residence.

Residence is declared to obtain a license, privilege, or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.

Your current driver license was issued.

You are determined to be a resident as evidenced by acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2015 at 2:51 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

so, to be on the safe side, get a new licence!
I am aware that this is difficult if you're without a SS number though....so will be interesting to see what happens.
We have an Orientation Manager settling us in so will ask them as I know they want to takes to the DMV
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember my wife having any real difficulties getting her CA license, and she was on an L2 with no SSN. I think she just needed her passport with the visa in it. Getting the drivers license is more a test of patience than anything else.

We have an Orientation Manager settling us in so will ask them as I know they want to takes to the DMV
Good luck with that. The "Relocation Consultant" we had was as much use as a chocolate fire extinguisher. He told us we had 6 months to get US licenses...
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
so, to be on the safe side, get a new licence!
I am aware that this is difficult if you're without a SS number though....so will be interesting to see what happens.
Most people report getting their SSN within a few days, mine took about a week. Someone here on BE reported recently getting their SSN within a couple of days. It seems to vary a little from office to office, and perhaps also based on port of entry (whether they "put you in the system" properly).

If your SSN is delayed be sure to carry evidence/ correspondence with you to show in the event that you are stopped by the police and asked why you don't have a CA license yet?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

I believe I have to apply for somethingIcantrememberoffthetopofmyhead which takes about 3 months, after which I can then get my SSN and then apply for jobs (on an L2 Visa)
Old Aug 7th 2015, 2:57 pm

I believe I have to apply for somethingIcantrememberoffthetopofmyhead which takes about 3 months, after which I can then get my SSN and then apply for jobs (on an L2 Visa)
EAD. Ah, sorry, I missed that. ..... Yeah, so as FozzyB said, you'll be applying without an SSN. If you get pushback you might need to ask to a supervisor, or even try another DMV office.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Insurance
Do I need special travel insurance or anything like that as part of my move?
We have annual worldwide insurance currently. Is there any kind of emigration insurance I need? Presuming i only need insurance for the flight out there as we'll then get covered as part of my wife's medicare

Thanks

Presume you don't mean Medicare - the Government insurance scheme for those over 65?

Are you obtaining medical insurance on your wife's company scheme?

Annual worldwide insurance is usually travel insurance ...... this will probably cover you for the flight etc but NOT for medical treatment once you are a resident.

If you Google "short term insurance US" there are several firms that offer insurance for new immigrants.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 4:44 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
EAD. Ah, sorry, I missed that. ..... Yeah, so as FozzyB said, you'll be applying without an SSN. If you get pushback you might need to ask to a supervisor, or even try another DMV office.
When I was on a J2, but didn't yet have my EAD, the Social Security office gave me an official letter saying I wasn't entitled to a SSN. The DMV seemed happy with that.

Being in the States without an SSN felt a bit like not having a surname, in terms of convincing large bureaucratic organisations that I was an actual person.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
..... Being in the States without an SSN felt a bit like not having a surname, in terms of convincing large bureaucratic organisations that I was an actual person.
You weren't, you were an alien.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

NHS
Do I need to tell my doctor Im moving abroad?
I'm not sure there's any formal requirement to do this, but I did ask for a full copy of my medical records before leaving - just to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 7:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for your ssn when you arrive with your L1/L2 visa.

It will say "not valid for work without ead" or something like that. But you can get it almost as soon as you arrive.

People ask for it all the time here as an identifier in their systems but I'm a bit funny about handing it out willy-nilly so I just smile and say I can't remember the number.

Edit:
Have the rules changed in the last year? I just looked v quickly and it's not obvious that you can get one with L2. Anyone? I'll look further to check

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Aug 7th 2015 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Has it changed?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to have your EAD before you apply for your SSN. I am in CA and applied for my SSN on an L2 and I NEVER applied for an EAD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.