Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fergie + Daughter in Manhatten...

Fergie + Daughter in Manhatten...

Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fergie + Daughter in Manhatten...

Originally Posted by Celsius
I'd imagine quite a few of those British students can only afford to study at these Ivy League colleges courtesty of winning a scholarship of some sort.

But as far as I know, most scholarships at private colleges are need based, not merit based. As such they are only open to USCs and PRs.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Tell me about it.....costs even for State universities if one's offspring decides to go out of his/her home State still costs a fortune....I was at an open evening last year at my son's High School and trying to get information about tuition fees was like trying to get blood out of a stone... However, I did find out that if my son chose to go to Michigan State University in Lansing (not to be confused with the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor) it would cost approx $27k per year for an out-of-state student (I think it included accommodation but not books, transportation etc). The fees for Vassar college started at $36,000 per year (exclusive of books, accommodation, transport).
US costs do tend to include accomodation and food...which they don't in the UK...so depending on where you live, you can get stuffed....London student loan does get you more, but if you studied in another expensive city like in Oxford, your student loan really doesn't go very far...
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Yep I was puzzled by that as well. I know a friend of mine's son studied for a year over here on an exchange programme and he only had to pay for his living expenses but it was only for year. Currently we are paying about $7500 for in state fees which about 4269 GBps, so not so much of difference after next year. No doubt with the recession hitting hard in the coming year, fees will increase again this year although no news so far on that.
There's a few exchange programs like Erasamus that help pay, but even then, mates that exchanged with San Fran still needed $10K in the bank to get the student visa for a semester....and the semester cost $3000....so much for an equal exchange eh
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira

Another thing which is so confusing here is that there is no central application system - unlike UCAS in the UK. Every university has its own application form and different admissions criteria, in terms of SATs, ACT, APs, XYbloodyZ

And don't get me started on the personal statements and 'essays'
not to mention costs of applying ....$30-50 a place, adds up, no wonder people don't apply to loads of places...
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Am I correct in thinking that there is an application fee for each college pupils apply to in the States? Something like $50 per application?
read the small print...where the missus went, they often included a coupon that when included would waive the $50 application fee, but would be surprised by the number of people that throw it out and paid the fee...only know because the missus worked in admissions while studying...
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

But as far as I know, most scholarships at private colleges are need based, not merit based. As such they are only open to USCs and PRs.
Yes and no.

Private colleges and universities can base their scholarships on whatever-the-heck they want, including monies to attract qualified minority students to their school. Public universities, at least in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, cannot use affirmative action in giving scholarships (I'm not arguing whether this is right or wrong, just that It Is). Private individuals setting up scholarships through endowments can specify the kind of student they want to receive the award -- an albino female who graduated 2nd in her class, for example.

However, there has been less federal *grant* money every year -- grant being you don't have to repay it. The ratio of loan to grant/scholarship has been rising rapidly. Financial need can sometimes get you a lower %age rate on your loan (in Texas the state will guarantee some of those loans).

First-year (undergraduate) students rarely receive scholarships unless they are National Merit Scholars or are targeted by athletics or the arts to "perform" for the school. After the first year, they have an academic record on which to base future applications for scholarships.

There are often scholarships available through community organisations in one's hometown, or perhaps through one's employer, etc. These are generally small but every little bit helps. For example, there is a scholarship available to children whose parents belong to / live in our electrical cooperative district!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yes and no.

Private colleges and universities can base their scholarships on whatever-the-heck they want, including monies to attract qualified minority students to their school. Public universities, at least in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, cannot use affirmative action in giving scholarships (I'm not arguing whether this is right or wrong, just that It Is). Private individuals setting up scholarships through endowments can specify the kind of student they want to receive the award -- an albino female who graduated 2nd in her class, for example.
True, but from what I've read, most if not all of these 'funny peculiar' and other non-academic scholarships usually have something in the small print to the effect that it's only open to USCs.

The thing is, there is so much else involved in applying to college in the US, besides the purely academic. Kids who do not have clued up parents who are willing to help must be at a serious disadvantage.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

True, but from what I've read, most if not all of these 'funny peculiar' and other non-academic scholarships usually have something in the small print to the effect that it's only open to USCs.

The thing is, there is so much else involved in applying to college in the US, besides the purely academic. Kids who do not have clued up parents who are willing to help must be at a serious disadvantage.
Too true. Like everything else in this country it's those who either know the system or who try to learn it inside and out, who get the rewards.

I've never seen a designated scholarship go to a USC, but then again, I studied engineering, where foreign-born students are the majority and not the rule. The only scholarships I can see any justification in restricting to USCs are federal government sponsored ones (yes, I know foreign residents pay into the tax structure here on many levels, but).
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:07 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I've never seen a designated scholarship go to a USC, but then again, I studied engineering, where foreign-born students are the majority and not the rule.
Are you referring to under- or postgraduate scholarships? I know there is plenty of money for graduate students, irrespective of citizenship/status. Or maybe engineering is different, even for UG? Must look into this - one of my little darlings is thinking of civil eng.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:11 pm
Lapine Member

Are you referring to under- or postgraduate scholarships? I know there is plenty of money for graduate students, irrespective of citizenship/status. Or maybe engineering is different, even for UG? Must look into this - one of my little darlings is thinking of civil eng.
What I am speaking of is UG....and I would think that these days there might even be private scholarships designated towards USCs, or at least those who graduated from a US high school.

Yes, there is money for grad students, IF they are awarded a research or teaching assistantship. Other than that, they are just as screwed as UGs. Both have to work and borrow their way through.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

I have one daughter in college and another applying at the moment. We've found that applying to those colleges (private and public) for which you exceed the average SAT and GPA means you're most likely to be offered merit scholarships. Don't need to apply for them - they offer you, say, 50% off tuition to entice you to attend
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:34 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

From today's Torygraph:

Now then: what VISA would Fergie be on?

I've got a green card
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

My son is a HS senior, we drove 3548 miles this summer visiting Universities from NYC (Where we live) west as far as Atlanta Georgia & south to Miami & back to NYC. Total of 8 Uni's. 2nd trip to Maryland & back about 500 miles.

4 years of Out of State or private University + Accommodation + food package + books + Cellphone + Car + spending money etc can easily be $35,000 to $55,000 per year. One Uni we went to, you have to buy their Laptop (Can't use your own) + if doing Business studies Software is $1800.

We just paid a $40 application fee to one Uni. We just sent them another $25 fee to reserve a dorm in the campus. Funny thing, they have not offered him a place & he has not totally decided he wants to go there. They said, if he gets a place "All the dorms, maybe gone, so need to reserve one in case". These Uni's get thousands of App's & Millions of dollars in fee's, from families, who never get into the place.

Still, a Brit friends (Lives in USA) daughter wants to go to NYU Dentistry school. Glad not my kid. Look at these costs.
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/academicpr...dds/costs.html

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thydney
I've got a green card
Shhh...wrong name wrong forum.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by janj
I have one daughter in college and another applying at the moment. We've found that applying to those colleges (private and public) for which you exceed the average SAT and GPA means you're most likely to be offered merit scholarships. Don't need to apply for them - they offer you, say, 50% off tuition to entice you to attend
Schools do that, but then a lot of scholarships take that into account and thus give you less money...so it all levels out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.