Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fellow Brits, please talk me OUT of Seattle.

Wikiposts

Fellow Brits, please talk me OUT of Seattle.

Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fellow Brits, please talk me OUT of Seattle.

At present I am located in Central Washington, about 2 hours from Seattle. I am currently looking for jobs in the Engineering (Mechanical) sector and some friends here who are American are trying to convince me to consider Seattle and surrounding areas. Now before I start, I want to say I love Seattle, I have visited a few times and have really enjoyed it, but I have never had an interest in living there as it wouldn't give me what I want.

One thing they fail to comprehend having never been to the UK is the many similarities that I wanted to move away from and only a Brit would understand. One of the conditions my wife and I agreed upon when moving to the US was that we wanted things different to what we had in the UK. For me, these were a house with a bit of land to have some animals and a garage (this is a big point for me), a better climate and an area with reduced traffic, especially for the work commute.

Now, Seattle has similar wet/damp weather to the UK, traffic for commuting is just as bad if not worse, and house prices are extremely high (For example, a 3 bed house with 2-3 acres in the 'country' is about $500k). Now looking at average salaries for my profession in the area, they are only about $10k a year more than Boise ID for example, with home prices being half what they are in the Seattle area. (that is just an example).

As I say, I have pretty much discounted a move to Seattle, but some of my friends here are insistent that the issues above aren't as bad as they seem, but given my reasoning above, can fellow Brits who know what I'm talking about chime in to validate my points just so I can close it out once and for all? Thanks.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:14 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fellow Brits, please talk me OUT of Seattle.

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
At present I am located in Central Washington, about 2 hours from Seattle. I am currently looking for jobs in the Engineering (Mechanical) sector and some friends here who are American are trying to convince me to consider Seattle and surrounding areas. Now before I start, I want to say I love Seattle, I have visited a few times and have really enjoyed it, but I have never had an interest in living there as it wouldn't give me what I want.

One thing they fail to comprehend having never been to the UK is the many similarities that I wanted to move away from and only a Brit would understand. One of the conditions my wife and I agreed upon when moving to the US was that we wanted things different to what we had in the UK. For me, these were a house with a bit of land to have some animals and a garage (this is a big point for me), a better climate and an area with reduced traffic, especially for the work commute.

Now, Seattle has similar wet/damp weather to the UK, traffic for commuting is just as bad if not worse, and house prices are extremely high (For example, a 3 bed house with 2-3 acres in the 'country' is about $500k). Now looking at average salaries for my profession in the area, they are only about $10k a year more than Boise ID for example, with home prices being half what they are in the Seattle area. (that is just an example).

As I say, I have pretty much discounted a move to Seattle, but some of my friends here are insistent that the issues above aren't as bad as they seem, but given my reasoning above, can fellow Brits who know what I'm talking about chime in to validate my points just so I can close it out once and for all? Thanks.
I'm not sure why you need the validation. If it's not what you want, it's not what you want. Period. It's your life and you should live it according to your desires, not what other people think is right for you.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... we wanted things different to what we had in the UK. For me, these were a house with a bit of land to have some animals and a garage (this is a big point for me), a better climate and an area with reduced traffic, especially for the work commute. ....
You need to be in The South, as I see you are looking at in another of your posts today.

Please note, most of the nay-sayers don't live here.

BTW there's about 100 rural acres in NW SC about to become available soon, when the police have finished digging it over!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 7th 2016 at 3:24 am.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
BTW there's about 100 rural acres in NW SC about to become available soon, when the police have finished digging it over!
Hopefully, they refill all the graves before putting it up for sale.

Go where you want to go. Your friends are not living your life. You are and if your spouse agrees to the area you want to move to and you can get employment, go for it.

I know you aren't going to be choosing an area just because real estate prices meet your criteria. A happy life is one that you want to live.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 7th 2016 at 3:23 am.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm not sure why you need the validation. If it's not what you want, it's not what you want. Period. It's your life and you should live it according to your desires, not what other people think is right for you.
You're right, and yes I feel the same way. But I have been looking for jobs for a few months (admittedly only locally before looking nationally as of last week) with no luck so was beginning to feel a bit pressured. Thanks for posting

You need to be in The South, as I see you are looking at in another of your posts today.

Please note, most of the nay-sayers don't live here.

You sod! I just spat out my morning drink all over the keyboard!
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Hopefully, they refill all the graves before putting it up for sale.

Go where you want to go. Your friends are not living your life. You are and if your spouse agrees to the area you want to move to and you can get employment, go for it.

I know you aren't going to be choosing an area just because real estate prices meet your criteria. A happy life is one that you want to live.
Oh no, it's not the sole criteria as I said above. I loved in TN for 3 months for the summer of 2004 and really liked the whole area and surrounding states, so I'm excited about potentially moving back there.

Thanks for your post.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:41 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could keep on eye on it and let me know when it comes up for sale. I'm looking for some well fertilized land for my grow operation.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Perhaps you could keep on eye on it and let me know when it comes up for sale. I'm looking for some well fertilized land for my grow operation.
"Growing" isn't legal here, at least not yet. .... Anyhow growing is customarily done indoors under high-pressure mercury vapour lamps, .... or so I heard.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

GA / AL seem to be a lot of heavy-ish manufacturing on the interstate 85 corridor. Airbus in Mobile, etc. Good weather and cheap houses!
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people are pushing me towards San Francisco and Seattle due to the sector I work in but for similar reasons to you, me and my soon-to-be wife want to stay in Colorado or look further south!

It's your life
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear North Carolina is very nice.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, it's not the sole criteria as I said above. I loved in TN for 3 months for the summer of 2004 and really liked the whole area and surrounding states, so I'm excited about potentially moving back there.

Thanks for your post.
What about Eastman in Tennessee. It is one of the largest facilities in the state. Friend's nephew just started working there, although not in your field, and says so far they are great to work for.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
I hear North Carolina is very nice.
It must be, as President Obama, Hilary Clinton, and Donald Trump, among others, have been spending a lot of time here in the past few weeks.

Maybe it's the "fall colours" that they're coming to see.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It must be, as President Obama, Hilary Clinton, and Donald Trump, among others, have been spending a lot of time here in the past few weeks.

Maybe it's the "fall colours" that they're coming to see.
Must be, leaves disappeared 6 weeks ago around here.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Must be, leaves disappeared 6 weeks ago around here.
It's probably been snowing too, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.