British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Feeling Ill? Do NOT Ignore the Warning Signs! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/feeling-ill-do-not-ignore-warning-signs-922939/)

Guindalf Mar 6th 2019 3:23 am

Feeling Ill? Do NOT Ignore the Warning Signs!

A cautionary tale from one too stupid to see the signs.

This time last week, I was feeling a little under the weather and went to lay down for a while. By the following morning, I was unable to get up off the floor, where I had fallen, and refused to allow anyone to call for help, saying I just needed to rest and I'd be fine. Long story short, 911 was called and I was rushed to the hospital. I had sepsis (or some kind of infection), a blood pressure of 70/30 and was, apparently, minutes from death!

Four days in ICU followed by another three in medical, I was discharged today, with another two weeks of antibiotics and home healthcare as well as other follow-ups.Feeling a little under the weather right now, so time to rest, but please, if in doubt, dial 911 and, lets be careful out there!

MidAtlantic Mar 6th 2019 11:26 am

Re: Feeling Ill? Do NOT Ignore the Warning Signs!

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12648680)

This time last week, I was feeling a little under the weather and went to lay down for a while. By the following morning, I was unable to get up off the floor, where I had fallen, and refused to allow anyone to call for help, saying I just needed to rest and I'd be fine. Long story short, 911 was called and I was rushed to the hospital. I had sepsis (or some kind of infection), a blood pressure of 70/30 and was, apparently, minutes from death!

Four days in ICU followed by another three in medical, I was discharged today, with another two weeks of antibiotics and home healthcare as well as other follow-ups.Feeling a little under the weather right now, so time to rest, but please, if in doubt, dial 911 and, lets be careful out there!

Important advice, thanks. I'm glad you've pulled through. All the best!

Rete Mar 6th 2019 12:12 pm

Sorry to read of your illness but glad to hear that you are on the mend. Great advice for those feeling ill or experiencing pains for undisclosed reasons. You're never to young to suffer a heart attack or stroke.

petitefrancaise Mar 6th 2019 2:19 pm

Oh my Goodness Guindalf. What a fright for you.
Sepsis is very, very serious. You have been lucky. Big hug and take care. Let us all know how you are doing.

SpoogleDrummer Mar 6th 2019 2:41 pm

I'm stubborn when it comes to my health but I don't think I'm "unable to get off the floor" stubborn, sounds like you were very lucky. Good luck with your recovery.

Hotscot Mar 6th 2019 2:55 pm

Do you know how you got your sepsis?
I have great insurance but doctor averse...

Lion in Winter Mar 6th 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12648680)

Damn.

People, go to doctors. It's not true that "if you haven't been diagnosed with anything you aren't really ill".

Sepsis is no joke at all.

materialcontroller Mar 6th 2019 3:24 pm

That sounds awful. Hope you make a quick recovery and take care.

Guindalf Mar 6th 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks, everyone.

I have no idea how I got ill, just that it came on and I felt weak. i'm throwing the word 'Sepsis' around without really knowing if that is what I had. all I know for sure is that the nurses in the ICU were VERY worried about whether I'd see the night through!

I'm definitely on the mend and even getting over my anger at my boss telling me to make sure I submit the correct paperwork, even while I was in the ICU fighting for my life! Not sure he's going to be my boss any more.

Octang Frye Mar 6th 2019 6:04 pm

I am glad you are not dead. Sepsis is scary business.

Bob Mar 6th 2019 6:41 pm

Wow....scary!

Glad to hear you're on the mend!

lansbury Mar 6th 2019 7:42 pm

Glad you are on the mend. May you return to full health quickly.

Pulaski Mar 6th 2019 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12648994)
…. I have no idea how I got ill, just that it came on and I felt weak. i'm throwing the word 'Sepsis' around without really knowing if that is what I had. all I know for sure is that the nurses in the ICU were VERY worried about whether I'd see the night through!

I'm definitely on the mend and even getting over my anger at my boss telling me to make sure I submit the correct paperwork, even while I was in the ICU fighting for my life! Not sure he's going to be my boss any more.

Well I am glad to hear that you are on the mend, and I concur 100% with your advice.

I had a similar experience ten years ago, with a blood infection that cause my left arm to swell and the veins to become inflamed and visible. I was sent directly to the local hospital where my GP had already phoned ahead to explain my condition, I spent three days in isolation on a drip, and had a short visit to the operating theater for two skin excisions to remove the ulcer from my arm (which had started out as poison ivy rash, which I had scratched at) that had caused the blood infection, and an infected secondary transfer spot on my leg where my arm had rested. The isolation was because they were concerned that I had MRSA, and everyone who came into the room, had to don a mask and gloves, which they put in a medical waste bin by the door, to be taken away and incinerated.

BEVS Mar 6th 2019 8:14 pm

Very scary .
I am glad you are on the mend .

Next time you sneeze - call your quack !

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 7th 2019 1:35 am

I had something like that a few years ago, did finally go to the doctor, the triage took my pulse and blood pressure, and I have never been whisked back into a bed so fast. turned out I was in early stages of sepsis, I spent my entire time in the ER though, but man it was scary and happened so quickly.

Glad you got to the hospital in time, scary stuff indeed.