Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling Ill? Do NOT Ignore the Warning Signs!

Feeling Ill? Do NOT Ignore the Warning Signs!

Old Mar 9th 2019, 3:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling Ill? Do NOT Ignore the Warning Signs!

Originally Posted by Guindalf
A cautionary tale from one too stupid to see the signs.

This time last week, I was feeling a little under the weather and went to lay down for a while. By the following morning, I was unable to get up off the floor, where I had fallen, and refused to allow anyone to call for help, saying I just needed to rest and I'd be fine. Long story short, 911 was called and I was rushed to the hospital. I had sepsis (or some kind of infection), a blood pressure of 70/30 and was, apparently, minutes from death!

Four days in ICU followed by another three in medical, I was discharged today, with another two weeks of antibiotics and home healthcare as well as other follow-ups.Feeling a little under the weather right now, so time to rest, but please, if in doubt, dial 911 and, lets be careful out there!
Glad you are recovering but mate, on the floor? It must be a man thing!
The "it's only heartburn" quote is embedded in my brain when 30 minutes later M is in life flight ...

Take care of yourself. And listen to others when they can see what you won't admit to!

Old Mar 9th 2019, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Oh trust me, I learned a valuable lesson! SO has banned me from using the words 'I'm fine' and I accept that stupidity leads to potential death!!

I have realized that I am still recovering and I'm weak (er than normal!). We were due to go and buy a new car on the day this all happened, so we went down to the dealer on Thursday and finalized the deal. I was exhausted by the time we got home and spent yesterday barely moving, so I know I must give myself some time. I'm even restricting the time I spend sitting in my office on the computer (she's gone to the store, so don't tell her )

The only thing I can do now is give it time.

Thanks for everyone's wishes. I do appreciate the love.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Oh trust me, I learned a valuable lesson! SO has banned me from using the words 'I'm fine' and I accept that stupidity leads to potential death!!

I have realized that I am still recovering and I'm weak (er than normal!). We were due to go and buy a new car on the day this all happened, so we went down to the dealer on Thursday and finalized the deal. I was exhausted by the time we got home and spent yesterday barely moving, so I know I must give myself some time. I'm even restricting the time I spend sitting in my office on the computer (she's gone to the store, so don't tell her )

The only thing I can do now is give it time.

Thanks for everyone's wishes. I do appreciate the love.
So neither you, nor the doctors, have determined what this is/was yet? You mentioned sepsis but later suggested that was just a guess. It would seem that knowing the cause would be a pretty important part of this! I presume they are still looking into this?

Great to hear you survived!
Old Mar 10th 2019, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is it was some kind of infection. They pumped me full of antibiotics, steroids and even a diuretic (my legs were swollen due to fluid retention) and, within a few days, my BP came up and my fever went down. I was only discharged when I was able to take my antibiotics orally instead of running up to four IVs at once!!

I can't tell you what I don't know. I am not a doctor!

I do, however, have an appointment with my NP on Wednesday, so I may be able to find out more at that point.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Glad you are recovering but mate, on the floor? It must be a man thing!
The "it's only heartburn" quote is embedded in my brain when 30 minutes later M is in life flight ...

Take care of yourself. And listen to others when they can see what you won't admit to!
I agree that it must be a man thing. Hubby was hospitalized twice because he refused to seek help at the early stages of blood loss once and a potential heart failure the second time. Luckily the school nurse where he worked told him to see his doctor immediately and he listened to her and saw the doctor who was going to call an ambulance to take him to the hospital but he insisted on driving himself ... duh! Had lost 3 pints of blood by that time from a hole in his stomach caused by meds for his back prescribed by the same doctor. The second time he wouldn't allow me to call the ambulance when he was feeling weak, had trouble breathing, etc. I drove him this time and he was admitted before they even took his name. He spent 5 days in CCU. Now he takes good care of himself and goes to the doctor asap when something is not right.