Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling defeated, anyone given up and moved 'Home'?

Feeling defeated, anyone given up and moved 'Home'?

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling defeated, anyone given up and moved 'Home'?

Good point VikingSail, i'll take a look at the link. Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It's tough for Americans too. Your story reads similar to a lot of what I read in the media.

To use a baseball term, keep hitting the ball hard. Eventually one will drop in.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Have you investigated the options of work in the Spokane area?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

I have moose, but not for a while. Initially I searched generic "Engineering" in my region, I applied for a few manufacturing type engineering roles in the Spokane area but never heard back.

It was last Autumn or so that I sat down with my wife and we agreed it was better for me to look nationwide and move for a job I want and am better suited/qualified for than trying to fudge my experience to get into something local for the sake.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carcajou
It's tough for Americans too. Your story reads similar to a lot of what I read in the media.

To use a baseball term, keep hitting the ball hard. Eventually one will drop in.
Thank you for you kind words.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my UK friends just got laid off, I am not sure if it is any better back in the UK.

Is this position of any use?

https://daimler.taleo.net/careersect...F&tz=GMT-06:00

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 3rd 2017 at 3:22 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
I have moose, but not for a while. Initially I searched generic "Engineering" in my region, I applied for a few manufacturing type engineering roles in the Spokane area but never heard back.

It was last Autumn or so that I sat down with my wife and we agreed it was better for me to look nationwide and move for a job I want and am better suited/qualified for than trying to fudge my experience to get into something local for the sake.
I have quite a lot of family who live in the Spokane/CDA area and there seems to be an abundance of auto or related roles in that area. Can I send you a PM about this?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Of course you can!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrken30
One of my UK friends just got laid off, I am not sure if it is any better back in the UK.

Is this position of any use?

https://daimler.taleo.net/careersect...F&tz=GMT-06:00
It is, I applied for that last week and they have gotten back to me saying I am under consideration. Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It is, I applied for that last week and they have gotten back to me saying I am under consideration. Thanks.
There are some generic mechanical engineering jobs. One is in aviation which might make a change and open different doors.

https://portland.craigslist.org/sear...nical+engineer

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 3rd 2017 at 6:02 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Thank you, the one problem with that is interviews for me tend to be on a very technical level and I don't know anyone with the experience to conduct such an idea, I'll give it some thought.

It's likely not the technical part that is the issue in your interviews. Clearly I don't know you and have not met you but those who do may feel comfortable providing feedback on the soft skill set items of an interview that may need a little polishing or alteration to be successful. How best to illustrate what I mean...well this article touches upon some of the issues, it is oft joked about but is so very true that we speak a common language but that doesn't equal a common culture...

https://hbr.org/2013/04/common-language-doesnt-equal-c

My own experience caused me to analyze and realize that my speech and emails which I thought were being incredibly polite and deferential were actually being interpreted by some of my American colleagues as indecisive and somewhat passive aggressive...
I agree with this - it's not the tech parts that could be sinking you. The last paragraph may also be very appropriate. You need someone who will be brutally honest with you, which may exclude family and friends ... maybe a professional recruiter.

You still refer to your "CV' in this thread; unless your field uses that term in the US, think / say / write / live 'resume'.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are some distinct differences between how a CV is written and how a resume is written. I can't remember what they are, it's such a long time ago. If you approach some agencies they may give you some free advice on the layout of your resume.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

(regarding contracting v permanent)....

Ideally I want permanent, having come off the back of 5 years contracting in the UK and I'll be honest that I have no idea how contracting works here with regards to health insurance etc so I have been looking at perm jobs mostly.

(regarding moving to Detroit) ...

Possibly, however it's not just me I have to think about. My wife doesn't want to move there for starters though I'll consider it for a short term thing if nothing else comes up.

Contracting is fine; you'll figure it out if you need to. If your wife doesn't have insurance she can add you to, you can buy insurance on the exchanges (or whatever Trump replaces it with ... let's not digress into that here). It just costs money; you typically make more $ when you contract so the extra money covers the cost of the health insurance. And anyway, income plus paying for health insurance is better than no income ..

Regarding Detroit - have you considered splitting your time? In 2009, I was 'forced' to relocate to Scottsdale. Economy was in the toilet and I really didn't feel I had a choice (company I worked for was acquired and I had to move to keep my position). My g/f did not want to relo there so she stayed in CA, and I flew home once a month, and/or she came out my way for visits. This lasted 5 years and we both ended up enjoying both places. Ended up being the best career move of my life. Costs $ to fly back and forth but again, income plus unusual expenses is often better than no income.