Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling defeated, anyone given up and moved 'Home'?

Feeling defeated, anyone given up and moved 'Home'?

Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Feeling defeated, anyone given up and moved 'Home'?

I'm not sure where to start but I'll just start without trying to sound melodramatic. Has anyone moved to the US and given up within a year or two and moved back 'home'? Because they couldn't get established (job). I ask because I'm pretty downbeat with my situation at the moment and it is something I am considering, though I don't really want to.

I have been job hunting regionally since last July and nationally since about October (I mainly have an Automotive Development Engineering background) with limited success. I have had approximately 15 phone interviews, about 5 Skype interviews and 1 in person interview. The latter was the most recent and they even flew me to NC and seemed extremely keen as I have experience in their niche market which they admit is hard to come by. I felt I interviewed well, and they contacted my references afterwards who said they think I made a good impression but suddenly they decided to go with another candidate. I have asked for feedback on my application to see where I can improve but right now I'm feeling pretty crushed and feeling like I made a mistake coming over here, which is horrible because I do actually enjoy it here apart from not being able to secure a decent job.

Late last year I took advice in another thread and have made a considerable effort to tailor my CV for jobs, but I think the fact all my work history is in the UK is hurting me. This morning I began applying for local retail jobs which I really really don't want to do, but I have to earn money somehow. There is a job and company I really like, who have said I'd be a good fit but they have no openings at my level at the moment (only entry level), but have asked me to keep in touch as they are hoping to have some openings at that level by mid year. The problem is it is not certain and I can only wait for so long. What is also frustrating me is reading and hearing of countless examples of people walking into jobs week (or even sometimes days) after moving and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am a degree educated engineer (in fact I have a technical diploma AND Bachelors Degree) with over 10 years experience, yet I feel like I'm a college grad again.

I have had a brief talk with my wife about it, and I have made it clear that there is no point in us staying here if I cannot get a good job. Therefore though I don't want to, I have considered planning moving back to the UK if things have not improved by the summer. The problem with this is it means being apart for at least 6 months while my wife gets a UK visa and I know deep down she wouldn't be happy as she isn't as independent as I am.

Anyway, as I say I really want to stay here but am running out of ideas/options. So if anyone else has been in a similar dilemma your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling defeated, anyone given up and moved 'Home'?

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
So if anyone else has been in a similar dilemma your thoughts would be much appreciated.
I don't have anything to offer other than there are a lot of people who have considered returning to the UK. They hang out in this forum... so it'd be a good place to start - and perhaps they have other options or suggestions for you! Good luck.

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your predicament HS.

It can be tough to get your foot on the ladder, unless you have niche skills in high demand and/or short supply. I would hope that Donald Trump's initiatives will boost the engineering sector, but I don't know if it will be soon enough to help you.

My only suggestion would be around networking through trade associations and industry groups, but I assume you're doing that already.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear your situation. Where are you located, by the way - your signature doesn't say.

I can only offer the simplest of tips that I always give Brits over here looking for work - use US terms, spellings, styles, etc on resumes and communications. I know that "CV" is used in some areas over here, but Resume is the more common term, and the US resume has its own formats and fashions (which apparently change over time so stay current). Super-simple examples - use 'aluminum' not 'aluminium', 'color' not 'colour', etc. Also, make sure your documents are formatted for US Letter and not UK A4.

It's generally great to be a Brit over here, and people love the accent and all that, but when it comes to the HR department, and keyword searches, I'd go full-bore American.

I know we have Tesla in the Bay Area, and there is another fancy e-car being developed down in LA, but I don't know if CA is on your horizon ... horribly expensive.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 1st 2017, 8:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what your position entails but did a cursory look at Indeed.com and there were over 300 jobs listed for automotive development engineer. https://www.indeed.com/q-Automotive-...neer-jobs.html

Are you willing to take any position within the industry to get your foot in the door or are you applying for only the higher end positions that you feel that education and experience warrant? Sometimes we have to begin again at the near bottom but rise faster up the ladder than the first time.

Good luck to you.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where to start but I'll just start without trying to sound melodramatic. Has anyone moved to the US and given up within a year or two and moved back 'home'? Because they couldn't get established (job). I ask because I'm pretty downbeat with my situation at the moment and it is something I am considering, though I don't really want to.
Yes we did. After about 20 months and too many ups and downs with jobs we finally said enough is enough.

Just over a week after arriving back in the UK we turned round and came back. It was one of the most expensive mistakes or decisions we ever made but it was also the start of our now fairly successful life.We have now been in the US 28 years but those early days are still reminders of how life can knock you back when it doesn't quite pan out the way you would like it to.

I would give it a while longer. I think the main thing is to get employed, even in a lesser position than you are experienced in. Gaining an insight into how working life is here will benefit you and often one thing leads to another, sometimes in a direction that you had not planned on.

I know how you feel. It is very disheartening and can be very depressing. I hope it all works out for you and you can start enjoying your new life here soon.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Mar 1st 2017 at 11:54 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't have anything to offer other than there are a lot of people who have considered returning to the UK. They hang out in this forum... so it'd be a good place to start - and perhaps they have other options or suggestions for you! Good luck.

Ian
Thanks Ian. I'm not giving up just yet so will hold off looking there for now but thanks for the suggestion

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sorry to hear about your predicament HS.

It can be tough to get your foot on the ladder, unless you have niche skills in high demand and/or short supply. I would hope that Donald Trump's initiatives will boost the engineering sector, but I don't know if it will be soon enough to help you.

My only suggestion would be around networking through trade associations and industry groups, but I assume you're doing that already.
Thank you Pulaski, Yourself and Ian have been especially helpful on my journey since joining this board.

I am on LinkedIn, though I confess I'm not sure what or where else I can network. I have passed my resume on to some recruitment companies too.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Really sorry to hear your situation. Where are you located, by the way - your signature doesn't say.

I can only offer the simplest of tips that I always give Brits over here looking for work - use US terms, spellings, styles, etc on resumes and communications. I know that "CV" is used in some areas over here, but Resume is the more common term, and the US resume has its own formats and fashions (which apparently change over time so stay current). Super-simple examples - use 'aluminum' not 'aluminium', 'color' not 'colour', etc. Also, make sure your documents are formatted for US Letter and not UK A4.

It's generally great to be a Brit over here, and people love the accent and all that, but when it comes to the HR department, and keyword searches, I'd go full-bore American.

I know we have Tesla in the Bay Area, and there is another fancy e-car being developed down in LA, but I don't know if CA is on your horizon ... horribly expensive.

Good Luck!
Thank you. Currently located in the PNW. We originally looked at moving to the Boise ID area as it meant being relatively near my wifes family but since last October ish I have begun looking for jobs nationwide for a job I am better suited for and would enjoy more. A lot of Automotive is based in the Carolinas/Tennessee which dispite the humidity is an area I have enjoyed on my visits. I'd rather stay South if I could as I am not a cold lover.

Did you start that thread about tips for Brits looking for work? If so it was excellent and I took a lot away from it. I have Americanized my CV (Resume) and saved it on US format page sizes etc, I even got my wife to double check it.

I have considered CA and part of me would like to try it there but as you say being horribly expensive has put me off, especially as one of my main 'wants' in life is a home with a few acres of land.

Originally Posted by Rete
I have no idea what your position entails but did a cursory look at Indeed.com and there were over 300 jobs listed for automotive development engineer. https://www.indeed.com/q-Automotive-...neer-jobs.html

Are you willing to take any position within the industry to get your foot in the door or are you applying for only the higher end positions that you feel that education and experience warrant? Sometimes we have to begin again at the near bottom but rise faster up the ladder than the first time.

Good luck to you.

Well that's interesting, thank you Rete. I've been searching every day for Development Engineer and already found a few on the first page of your link that I hadn't seen before. One limiting factor for my is neither my wife nor I want to live in Detroit (or MI at all) which I understand restricts me a bit, but there are other automotive/engineering locations too.

The company in SC that seems keen on me only have entry level position open at present. I have considered speaking to them and suggesting starting as an entry level for the very reason you suggested but at the same time I'm not sure how to suggest it without coming across as desperate.

Thank you again for your post.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yes we did. After about 20 months and too many ups and downs with jobs we finally said enough is enough.

Just over a week after arriving back in the UK we turned round and came back. It was one of the most expensive mistakes or decisions we ever made but it was also the start of our now fairly successful life.We have now been in the US 28 years but those early days are still reminders of how life can knock you back when it doesn't quite pan out the way you would like it to.

I would give it a while longer. I think the main thing is to get employed, even in a lesser position than you are experienced in. Gaining an insight into how working life is here will benefit you and often one thing leads to another, sometimes in a direction that you had not planned on.

I know how you feel. It is very disheartening and can be very depressing. I hope it all works out for you and you can start enjoying your new life here soon.
That's good to know To be honest I'm not at all keen on returning to the UK as I know I would probably like you be driven mad in a week with the weather and traffic alone! I spoke with my wife today and she has told me she is going to take on more hours at work so I don't have to worry about financial issues and if by later in the year the situation is unchanged then we will make a plan of action from there.

Thank you all for your support, if and when I get good news I will of course let you know.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get to the point of returning home, but I went through 3 years of shit before finally landing a decent job. My background in the U.K. was in aviation in airside operations which I loved. It paid very well, and every day was a different challenge. When I moved here, I took a job running the security department at a large beach resort. To say I was miserable is an understatement. Kicking yanks that can't handle their bud light and chasing trespassing kids on their skateboards round the resort was hell. I then moved to an FBO to try and get back into aviation. That was ok short term, but I was basically loading and unloading bags and emptying the khasi's of millionaire's jets. It became clear my aviation career was over and I decided to look for something completely different. I now investigate car crashes for the NHTSA, and love it. Basically, there are jobs out there, you just have to hunt em down. You may also have to decide that a new career path is the way to a happy life. Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on LinkedIn, though I confess I'm not sure what or where else I can network. I have passed my resume on to some recruitment companies too.
When I first arrived here I didn't know any Americans in my field. Some family had distant connections in my industry, but that didn't help.

I was already on LinkedIn so what I did was start adding random people in local companies that were in senior positions or recruitment.

From there I started getting messages advertising jobs. I guess I landed on a recruitment radar somewhere. I followed through with one of them. A phone and physical interview later and I start Monday.

Not sure if this method translates to your industry, but it worked for mine.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I came on a K1 visa, 12 years ago. I initially got work via Temp agencies. Just grunt work in banks & insurance companies (my UK experience was hotel management), but eventually an assignment turned into a permanent position, which I have had for 10 years. It is not exactly a career, but it is enough to pay the bills, and enjoy life here. I imagine I would be worse off if I threw in the towel and tried to start again in UK.

Hang in there, and best of luck. I know how difficult it can be.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:44 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if it's the same as Canada but one thing we found was that the only thing that mattered on your resume was Canadian experience and it helped if you knew someone who could recommend you.
Whilst you may not want to live in Detroit have you considered getting a job there for a few years to get US experience, then moving to the area you actually want to live in?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a niche skill, you might want to try being self-employed. And then you can shop that skill around the US to different companies. If you're an engineer it sounds like a job that could be done from home in certain instances.

Even if it doesn't pan out, you could start an S-corp give it a fancy name and have "president of XYZ Inc." on your résumé.

Outsourcing is the way, I mean, let's face it, most cars are really made by Magna Auto Parts nowadays in the US anyway.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markonline1
I didn't get to the point of returning home, but I went through 3 years of shit before finally landing a decent job. My background in the U.K. was in aviation in airside operations which I loved. It paid very well, and every day was a different challenge. When I moved here, I took a job running the security department at a large beach resort. To say I was miserable is an understatement. Kicking yanks that can't handle their bud light and chasing trespassing kids on their skateboards round the resort was hell. I then moved to an FBO to try and get back into aviation. That was ok short term, but I was basically loading and unloading bags and emptying the khasi's of millionaire's jets. It became clear my aviation career was over and I decided to look for something completely different. I now investigate car crashes for the NHTSA, and love it. Basically, there are jobs out there, you just have to hunt em down. You may also have to decide that a new career path is the way to a happy life. Good luck.

Thank you for your post. Interestingly enough I have considered other careers but whenever I have looked at anything else, it requires considerable retraining which in some cases means going back to university. Can I ask how you got connected to the NHTSA? Coincidentally, car crash investigation is always something that has interested me. Feel free to PM if you don't want to reply publicly. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by tom169
When I first arrived here I didn't know any Americans in my field. Some family had distant connections in my industry, but that didn't help.

I was already on LinkedIn so what I did was start adding random people in local companies that were in senior positions or recruitment.

From there I started getting messages advertising jobs. I guess I landed on a recruitment radar somewhere. I followed through with one of them. A phone and physical interview later and I start Monday.

Not sure if this method translates to your industry, but it worked for mine.
I will certainly give it a go, thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by RICH
I came on a K1 visa, 12 years ago. I initially got work via Temp agencies. Just grunt work in banks & insurance companies (my UK experience was hotel management), but eventually an assignment turned into a permanent position, which I have had for 10 years. It is not exactly a career, but it is enough to pay the bills, and enjoy life here. I imagine I would be worse off if I threw in the towel and tried to start again in UK.

Hang in there, and best of luck. I know how difficult it can be.
Thank you. Yes I think it's a case of 'if not when' but i'm sure you understand that frustration. I certainly think I'd be worse of if I threw in the towel and tried to start again back in the UK.

Originally Posted by cxx
Not sure if it's the same as Canada but one thing we found was that the only thing that mattered on your resume was Canadian experience and it helped if you knew someone who could recommend you.
Whilst you may not want to live in Detroit have you considered getting a job there for a few years to get US experience, then moving to the area you actually want to live in?
I think that's been the case to an extent, but I have also had some interest and interviews so who knows. I have made it clear on my cover letters and resume's that I am an LPR and require no sponsorship.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 2:13 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

LPR and Sponsorship.

take those words out immediately!!

Use "legally allowed to work in the USA".

Many companies have filters to take out job applicants that have "sponsorship" etc in their resumes or cover letters.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Do you live near a university that offers classes in anything remotely comnected to your industry? Perhaps you could take a class or two, which might lead to some useful industry contacts as you could then apply for internships = foot in the door. Sounds like you just need to get yourself/ your skills in front of someone who recognizes what they're looking at, without the distraction of the non-standard work history.

It might flag up any differences in vocabulary and provide some cultural acclimation; you'd probably have access to a careers counselor who could fine toothcomb your resume and do a practice 'American' interview. Worst case, it at least gives you something to talk enthusiastically about to answer the dreaded questions about 'So, how've you been spending your time since arriving?'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.