Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feel free to use an alias!!!

Feel free to use an alias!!!

Old Jun 4th 2004, 12:54 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Feel free to use an alias!!!

I don't expect real names on this one.

Did anyone move from the UK and leave debts behind? Credit Card or bank loans.

Any what did you do? Arrange payments over a period or just hope that they didn't find you.

With about £25k owing, I'm tempted to use my credit card to buy an air ticket to Australia to throw them off the scent and then use cash to buy a ticket to the US.

Illegal, immoral or both? The big banks can afford it - can't they??

G1ant
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:20 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Feel free to use an alias!!!

Originally posted by g1ant
I don't expect real names on this one.

Did anyone move from the UK and leave debts behind? Credit Card or bank loans.

Any what did you do? Arrange payments over a period or just hope that they didn't find you.

G1ant
Deal with outstanding problems before you go - bad debts will follow you, wherever you go.

arrange for payments before/after you leave.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search for debt or money G1ant. There was a lengthy discussion covering this very topic not too long ago. I'm sure you'll find some info in there.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:47 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Do a search for debt or money G1ant. There was a lengthy discussion covering this very topic not too long ago. I'm sure you'll find some info in there.
Thanks Snork, I'll do that.

Of course the situation is totally hypothetical. I wouldn't dream of doing a runner.
--------------------------------------
I found the thread. Very interesting it is too.

I think everyone should treat large financial institutions with the same compassion and respect that they treat you. That seems fair enough.

Last edited by g1ant; Jun 4th 2004 at 11:55 am.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 12:23 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

If the debt was a few hundred pounds/dollars, then I'm sure the bank would just leave it if they couldn't find you, until you return to the country again. But if the debt is a large one like 25,000 I am sure they will try their best to follow you. the last thing another country needs is someone gathering debt and leaving it behind when they walk out so you may actually get co-operation between countries with where you are.

Personally, I couldn't just walk away from something we owe. We pay a loan from the US to the UK regularly and it isn't much hassle the majority of the time. I would prefer to pay it than have it on my conscience. if we didn't pay it, we would have problems every time we wanted to go back to the UK, I'm sure, or if we wanted to move back permanently.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:54 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ben
If the debt was a few hundred pounds/dollars, then I'm sure the bank would just leave it if they couldn't find you, until you return to the country again. But if the debt is a large one like 25,000 I am sure they will try their best to follow you. the last thing another country needs is someone gathering debt and leaving it behind when they walk out so you may actually get co-operation between countries with where you are.

Personally, I couldn't just walk away from something we owe. We pay a loan from the US to the UK regularly and it isn't much hassle the majority of the time. I would prefer to pay it than have it on my conscience. if we didn't pay it, we would have problems every time we wanted to go back to the UK, I'm sure, or if we wanted to move back permanently.
Actually i doubt it. £25000 not that big a debt and they would spend more to recover in the USA. They will most likely default you in the UK then sue you and get a court order and it will sit there until you get back to the UK.

There are lots of previous discussion on this one so check them out i wont go over my own views again(to the relief of many).

The main issue is that if you skip you burn boats so if you dont have perm resident status be very careful. Also if you later went looking to become licenced for some professions in the USA (like becoming an Attorney) you would find that they would want evidence of previous civil cases you were party too in the UK. Your debts would come up and as your actions show dishonesty you might have problems. Think long and hard there are legal ways to deal with it and have minimal future problems.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by Duncs
Actually i doubt it. £25000 not that big a debt and they would spend more to recover in the USA. They will most likely default you in the UK then sue you and get a court order and it will sit there until you get back to the UK.

There are lots of previous discussion on this one so check them out i wont go over my own views again(to the relief of many).

The main issue is that if you skip you burn boats so if you dont have perm resident status be very careful. Also if you later went looking to become licenced for some professions in the USA (like becoming an Attorney) you would find that they would want evidence of previous civil cases you were party too in the UK. Your debts would come up and as your actions show dishonesty you might have problems. Think long and hard there are legal ways to deal with it and have minimal future problems.
You could go bankrupt befopre you leave.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The big banks can afford it - can't they??
G1ant
With that attitude..No wonder you got problems..

Last edited by manc1976; Jun 4th 2004 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:05 pm
Country Member

Originally posted by ray6
With that attitude..No wonder you got problems..what a moron..
Who said I had problems **** ****?

-------------------------------------
Apparantly I'm guilty of profanity for which I apologise. Normally I'm perfectly able to express an opposing point of view without resorting to abuse.
------------------------------
OK, truce.

Last edited by g1ant; Jun 4th 2004 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

g1ant please see my pm
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:23 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
(like becoming an Attorney) you would find that they would want evidence of previous civil cases you were party too in the UK. Your debts would come up and as your actions show dishonesty you might have problems.
I personally thought this was a pre requisite for being a lawyer.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 6:55 am
Country Member

G1ant
18th Jun: From today's paper:

"UK banking giant HSBC is cutting up to 3,500 head office and other UK support role jobs to cut costs....

....the bank made a record profit of £6.9bn ($12.8bn) in 2003"

I rest my case.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

So are you saying any company that makes a profit deserves to be ripped off by it's customers?

Do you think it is acceptabel to shop lift in Tescos because they made a whopping big profit last year?

Everyone is happy to blame the banks for all their financial problems, but nobody makes anyone take huge wads of money and blow it on silly things. One of the reasons why interest rates are so high on loans and credit cards is because of the number of people who default on their payments. It's these selfish pigs who make it tough on those who are honest but don't have the financial resources to have any extras in life without the plastic.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:43 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally posted by Vicky88
So are you saying any company that makes a profit deserves to be ripped off by it's customers?

Do you think it is acceptabel to shop lift in Tescos because they made a whopping big profit last year?

Everyone is happy to blame the banks for all their financial problems, but nobody makes anyone take huge wads of money and blow it on silly things. One of the reasons why interest rates are so high on loans and credit cards is because of the number of people who default on their payments. It's these selfish pigs who make it tough on those who are honest but don't have the financial resources to have any extras in life without the plastic.
now come on .... don't beat around the bush .... just come righht out and say what you mean ...

Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Vicky!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.