Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Federal Government move to block AA/US Airways Merger

Federal Government move to block AA/US Airways Merger

Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federal Government move to block AA/US Airways Merger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23687680

Can't help but see this as a good thing, the reduction in competition on anything other than trunk routes across the US has lead to an alarming surge in ticket prices over the last 10 years.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal Government move to block AA/US Airways Merger

Originally Posted by civilservant

Can't help but see this as a good thing, the reduction in competition on anything other than trunk routes across the US has lead to an alarming surge in ticket prices over the last 10 years.
Agreed. I was afraid that it was just going to get a rubber stamp like all the other airline mergers in recent years.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

I haven't seen much of that other than the baggage fees. My usual trips to Minneapolis and NYC are pretty much the same price (maybe a little more) as about 10 years ago. The big increase seems to have been the transatlantic routes and that is probably due primarily to high landing fees/taxes at European airports for international flights.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

screw them both I'm going to take the Hyperloop
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:27 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

They deserve each other, as my mother once said about my sister-in-law's wastrel brother and his gold-digger girlfriend.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
screw them both I'm going to take the Hyperloop
I always wanted to see what is was like to be in one of those tubes that department stores used in the 1950s.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I always wanted to see what is was like to be in one of those tubes that department stores used in the 1950s.
I presume that you don't use a drive through bank? .... I have never been to one that doesn't still use that sort of equipment.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I presume that you don't use a drive through bank? .... I have never been to one that doesn't still use that sort of equipment.
I haven't used one in a long time but now that you mention it, the last time I used one, it had the tubes but I can't imagine why.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:09 pm

I haven't used one in a long time but now that you mention it, the last time I used one, it had the tubes but I can't imagine why?
Well they typically have three or four parallel lanes, and the tellers all sit behind a window to the left, but only the far left lane has face-to-face access to "their" teller, .... the rest conduct their transactions by vacuum tube.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well they typically have three or four parallel lanes, and the tellers all sit behind a window to the left, but only the far left lane has face-to-face access to "their" teller, .... the rest conduct their transactions by vacuum tube.
OK that makes sense. It was so long ago that I used a driver up window (maybe 20 years ago) that I didn't remember why it was used. Since I didn't remember how it was used, I thought maybe they were doing it for security purposes to get the money to and from the vault.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Drive through banks and pharmacies use them here but the longest most impressive tubes are still in use at local Home Depot stores
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Drive through banks and pharmacies use them here but the longest most impressive tubes are still in use at local Home Depot stores
Never noticed them at the Home Depot stores in California. What could they possibly use them for? I'm sure the answer is obvious but my brain just isn't working today.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:44 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Never noticed them at the Home Depot stores in California. What could they possibly use them for? I'm sure the answer is obvious but my brain just isn't working today.
Currency from the registers to the accounting office and back. It's much safer than the other common way, sending an employee through the store with a bank bag tucked under their arm. HD stores are way too big for that.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Currency from the registers to the accounting office and back. It's much safer than the other common way, sending an employee through the store with a bank bag tucked under their arm. HD stores are way too big for that.
I suppose that it is worth it to install a multimillion system when 99% of the transactions are credit cards and there is probably less than $1,000 cash in the cash register.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

And.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.