Reload this Page >

The fear is starting to hit me

The fear is starting to hit me

Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:39 am
Just Joined

mrcarrot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The fear is starting to hit me

Hey,

I moved from the UK to work in Sunnyvale nearly 2 years ago now and also live in SF. It took me 6 months in total to relocate - the movers themselves had a 3 month lead time to pick up my meager possessions!

Originally I got a temp flat near work (actually in Santa Clara at the Riverside/Rivermark area), but the total lack of anything to do that didn't require driving to made me head up to SF as soon as I could (3 weeks later infact).

I commute down on the Caltrain most days and then drive when I have offsite meetings or have stuff to haul. Thankfully, I live 2 blocks from 4th + king in SF (caltrain station) and my office is less than 2 mins walk from the Sunnyvale stop, so it really is 68mins door to door with the train. I usually surf the web on the train with a 3G dongle or sleep and even after 2 years, rarely dislike the journey. Its $10 return from SF to SV (using the 8 ride ticket) so its fairly inexpensive as well compared to UK transport.

You can drive it in 40mins (again, I live close to the freeway) if its not rush hour - handy for bailing at odd times.

I'd suggest trying to find some accommodation in SOMA for the first month if you can. There is quite a lot of 'furnished, by the month' apartments to rent there and if your work is paying, some of them can get pretty swanky ;0)

I live in SF because the food choice is great, drinks are lots of fun, hills add some variety and its not too hot in the summer. I don't like aircon and in SF we never have the heater on or need a fan to cool the room down.

The first year I was here, SV town centre was pretty nice and we'd often have beers after work there. However, for nearly a year now, the road has been dug up and its not much fun anymore.

Good luck with the move! I have not regretted doing it so far and would have been gutted if I'd overlooked the opportunity when it came.

Cheers,

mr C
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Tollers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrcarrot
Hey,

I moved from the UK to work in Sunnyvale nearly 2 years ago now and also live in SF. It took me 6 months in total to relocate - the movers themselves had a 3 month lead time to pick up my meager possessions!

Originally I got a temp flat near work (actually in Santa Clara at the Riverside/Rivermark area), but the total lack of anything to do that didn't require driving to made me head up to SF as soon as I could (3 weeks later infact).

I commute down on the Caltrain most days and then drive when I have offsite meetings or have stuff to haul. Thankfully, I live 2 blocks from 4th + king in SF (caltrain station) and my office is less than 2 mins walk from the Sunnyvale stop, so it really is 68mins door to door with the train. I usually surf the web on the train with a 3G dongle or sleep and even after 2 years, rarely dislike the journey. Its $10 return from SF to SV (using the 8 ride ticket) so its fairly inexpensive as well compared to UK transport.

You can drive it in 40mins (again, I live close to the freeway) if its not rush hour - handy for bailing at odd times.

I'd suggest trying to find some accommodation in SOMA for the first month if you can. There is quite a lot of 'furnished, by the month' apartments to rent there and if your work is paying, some of them can get pretty swanky ;0)

I live in SF because the food choice is great, drinks are lots of fun, hills add some variety and its not too hot in the summer. I don't like aircon and in SF we never have the heater on or need a fan to cool the room down.

The first year I was here, SV town centre was pretty nice and we'd often have beers after work there. However, for nearly a year now, the road has been dug up and its not much fun anymore.

Good luck with the move! I have not regretted doing it so far and would have been gutted if I'd overlooked the opportunity when it came.

Cheers,

mr C
Thanks for the advice Carrot. I totally agree. I dont want to have to use a car to do anything. I'll get my first month paid for, but i know the company have a budget and they always squeeze as tight as they can. This move is going to completely eat my savings. SOMA would be good, or Mission. I'm going to try and plan it to be on the route for my Shuttle bus (which has wifi, so i'll be able to work on the way in too).

I missed a delivery whilst at the dentist yesterday. Think it's my Visa arriving after just 3 workings days! Hope they redeliver it today

Tollers
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jackattack
Ooohhhhhh, single guy moving to San Fran.

Not sure of your sexual orientation but I might have to give some of my girlfriends an advance warning. I have quite a few single girlfriends living in the city who are frustrated with choice of straight men there. Woop woop, new talent arriving.

I have also heard that south bay can have quite a dearth of single women being that it is quite full of male engineering types working in the Valley.

If you're gay then SF is definitely better for you socially than south bay and I'll tell my girlfriends to back off.

(BTW I'm female and married)
Straight, sane, professional, geek, but i'm sure a lot of people are going to assume i'm gay unless i grow my hair back (or get a bulldog tattoo).

Why is there a problem with the single guys? Surely there must be a lot of variety and choice. SF seems a fairly cosmopolitan place. I'm not used to being called talent though. It's nice to be objectified now and then
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tollers
Why is there a problem with the single guys?
The "problem" (according to many straight single women in San Francisco) isn't with "single guys" - it is with "straight single guys" - and the problem is that there aren't enough of them to go around (or, at least, that they are too difficult to find).
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

"i'm sure a lot of people are going to assume i'm gay unless i grow my hair back (or get a bulldog tattoo)."

Errm, no, the bulldog thing is NOT going to work!

I have two straight guy friends in San Francisco and they love it there. I wouldn't worry about a thing when it comes to the social life there.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice Carrot. I totally agree. I dont want to have to use a car to do anything. I'll get my first month paid for, but i know the company have a budget and they always squeeze as tight as they can. This move is going to completely eat my savings. SOMA would be good, or Mission. I'm going to try and plan it to be on the route for my Shuttle bus (which has wifi, so i'll be able to work on the way in too).

I missed a delivery whilst at the dentist yesterday. Think it's my Visa arriving after just 3 workings days! Hope they redeliver it today

Tollers
I totally agree with MrCarrot's recommendation. SOMA is a good place to live for people who work in South Bay. (Relatively) easy car access in and out, good rail link on CalTrain. It would be worth checking where your office shuttle stops are (obviously).

I work at a company which has a shuttle bus from the city down to office in Cupertino. It also has a shuttle from the CalTrain station in Mountain View and both options are pretty popular. Lots of my work colleagues live in SOMA, and drive down to the office on a Monday morning, leave their car at the office during the week (our office campus is very spread out and meetings are all over Cupertino). They take the shuttle back on Monday pm and then use the shuttle the rest of the week between Cupertino and SF before driving themselves back in the car on Friday evening so they have the car for the weekend. Saves a ton of $ on petrol, although coming from the UK, you'll think it cheap anyway.

Happy commuting.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Flight booked for the 26th! Everyone wants leaving drinks, but there is sooo little time.

Start packing tomorrow!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Flight booked for the 26th! Everyone wants leaving drinks, but there is sooo little time.

Start packing tomorrow!
Fantastic

Enjoy the rollercoaster and well done
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Hey watch it matey, downtown Sunnyvale is great fun on Friday and Saturday nights!

When you say the city which one? They're all city's!
Locals call San Francisco simply "the city". As in Journey's song ... 'when the lights go down in the city' ...

Maybe the OP didn't mean San Francisco, but your post reminded me of this.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Mar 13th 2010 at 4:27 am.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I grew up in Northern California. When someone says 'The City', there's only one.
Tried to karma but had to spread. Why oh why did my parents move to Ohio?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 6:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Tried to karma but had to spread. Why oh why did my parents move to Ohio?

Mine almost moved us to Des Moines Iowa!
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mine almost moved us to Des Moines Iowa!
Almost is the key word. My parents went from San Francisco, to Hawaii, to LA, to Ohio. I got a bum deal.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Well,

I landed on Friday and am trying to settle in. Nicotine withdrawal making it all a little more emotional and stresfull than it should be. Am now worrying about opening a bank account, the process of which has now lasted over 6 weeks, but worried that i wont get money into the account in time for my temp accomodation to finish and therefore allow me to cash my paycheques in time for a new appartment.

People here have said there is no point applying for a SSN for at least a week as it takes immigration time to process my arrival. Anyone know if this is true?

Mark
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well,

I landed on Friday and am trying to settle in. Nicotine withdrawal making it all a little more emotional and stresfull than it should be. Am now worrying about opening a bank account, the process of which has now lasted over 6 weeks, but worried that i wont get money into the account in time for my temp accomodation to finish and therefore allow me to cash my paycheques in time for a new appartment.

People here have said there is no point applying for a SSN for at least a week as it takes immigration time to process my arrival. Anyone know if this is true?

Mark
Welcome over!
(hey, cigs are cheaper here, tut)

It's true that if you wait about 10 days from arrival, you'll have a higher chance of success the first time at the SSA.

You should be able to open a bank account without your SSN.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

mrcarrot is on a distinguished road

Welcome over!
(hey, cigs are cheaper here, tut)

It's true that if you wait about 10 days from arrival, you'll have a higher chance of success the first time at the SSA.

You should be able to open a bank account without your SSN.
I opened a bank account with Wells Fargo just with a passport. Used the local branch near my office in SV however (next to Denny's) and they were very helpful and accommodating.

I also waited 2 weeks before applying for the SSN because it involved driving somewhere random and I got lost twice in my lunch hour trying to find the place.

Cheers,

mr C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.