Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FCC and freedom of speech.

FCC and freedom of speech.

Old Mar 24th 2004, 5:52 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default FCC and freedom of speech.

There is a radio station in Dallas (105.3). Its a talk only station that has Stern in the mornings, Russ martin in the afternoon, everyday the subject is about the FCC. Stern is uncertain but it sounds like if a new "bill" goes through the senate, it will give the FCC the right to fine $$$ to everyone and anyone regarding "in the FCC eyes" obscenity etc etc.

Ever since Jackson flashed her bapps, the FCC has gone crazy, if the "bill" goes through (and it sounds like its 99.9% passed) then live shows either on the radio or T.V will have a 7 second delay to dump swear words out etc!.

Whatever happened to the "if you don't like it, change the channel" choice? as in Sterns words, we will all end up watching Jay Leno type programmes and being controlled like robots.

its a :scared: thought!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 6:18 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: FCC and freedom of speech.

Originally posted by Yosser
There is a radio station in Dallas (105.3). Its a talk only station that has Stern in the mornings, Russ martin in the afternoon, everyday the subject is about the FCC. Stern is uncertain but it sounds like if a new "bill" goes through the senate, it will give the FCC the right to fine $$$ to everyone and anyone regarding "in the FCC eyes" obscenity etc etc.

Ever since Jackson flashed her bapps, the FCC has gone crazy, if the "bill" goes through (and it sounds like its 99.9% passed) then live shows either on the radio or T.V will have a 7 second delay to dump swear words out etc!.

Whatever happened to the "if you don't like it, change the channel" choice? as in Sterns words, we will all end up watching Jay Leno type programmes and being controlled like robots.

Its a complete overreaction. Although i kind of like Jay (at least he is funny compared to Letterman). But agreed it can be a little bland. I just cant get into the mindset that thinks saying f***(the dam filter on this site will get it anyway) is somehow evil. Its just a word that does no harm. So F*** goes but Law & Order SVU with a story about some kid getting murdered having a violin shoved up his corn-hole is ok?, or Arnie kills hundreds who cares as long as he doesnt say f***? I watched South park the movie again recently on DVD and they are right people have conniptions about language but going to war is ok, its crazy.

Last edited by Duncs; Mar 24th 2004 at 6:20 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:28 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

When people have everything monitored and there is no freedom of thought they will rue the day they complained about Janet. As far as I am aware its not the actual breast that was the problem but that there was no warning. If you go and see a film rated r you expect swearing and nudity but not at the superbowl.

And who is to say what is indecent. In the UK the level of indecency is decided by the public so the standard drops as people get more liberal. Could you imagine the Sun newspaper in the US!

The whole thing is a joke.

Patrick
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:18 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken about Janet and the "no pre-show bapp warning", but its pretty ironic to have dozens of 300 lb monsters trying to rip each others heads off....oh thats ok, but a women flashing a bit of skin sends politcians and the FCC into a frenzy!

The thing is, it doesn't just stop there, apparently the FCC will go back as far as 3 years to dish out the fines, poor old Stern will be bankrupt then.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:30 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken about Janet and the "no pre-show bapp warning", but its pretty ironic to have dozens of 300 lb monsters trying to rip each others heads off....oh thats ok, but a women flashing a bit of skin sends politcians and the FCC into a frenzy!

The thing is, it doesn't just stop there, apparently the FCC will go back as far as 3 years to dish out the fines, poor old Stern will be bankrupt then.
People said it wasn't tasteful, yeah and horse farting on the womans face in the bud advert was so ******* tasteful

Patrick
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

I thinks it's appalling the way a 2 second hint of a breast (with the nipple covered) has had this kind of knock on effect in the media. It is totally outrageous, I'm sure any "vunerable" person who actually saw the breast would have forgotten about it by now if not for all the ridiculous fall out from it.
My local station has been Stern-less for about 6 weeks now I think. They just took it off one day with no explanation and that was it. Whether you like Stern or not it's taking away peoples freedom of choice. It seems funny how it's been ok to broadcast his show for all these years and then as soon as Jackson whips a tit out it's all of a sudden labelled obscene.
I think Stern has been a target for the FCC for years now and they've been looking for a reason to get him off the air (in much the same as the way the US government beefed up the WMD story as an excuse for invading Iraq).
Personally I'm much more offended by some of the political clap trap that is peddled on the air by certain people than by anything Stern puts out.

Thank god for Radio Five Live on the internet!
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:31 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by RChappo
I thinks it's appalling the way a 2 second hint of a breast (with the nipple covered) has had this kind of knock on effect in the media. It is totally outrageous, I'm sure any "vunerable" person who actually saw the breast would have forgotten about it by now if not for all the ridiculous fall out from it.
My local station has been Stern-less for about 6 weeks now I think. They just took it off one day with no explanation and that was it. Whether you like Stern or not it's taking away peoples freedom of choice. It seems funny how it's been ok to broadcast his show for all these years and then as soon as Jackson whips a tit out it's all of a sudden labelled obscene.
I think Stern has been a target for the FCC for years now and they've been looking for a reason to get him off the air (in much the same as the way the US government beefed up the WMD story as an excuse for invading Iraq).
Personally I'm much more offended by some of the political clap trap that is peddled on the air by certain people than by anything Stern puts out.

Thank god for Radio Five Live on the internet!
Sorry to hear your Stern-Less these days, something like 6 markets was pulled off air.

It was hilarious this morning, they had Arty dressed up in the original Superman costume that Christopher Reeve wore. Howard couldn't stop laughing at Arty with his beer gut, back hair hanging out, his bald spot and his hang-arse pants.

He mentioned about going to XM radio, not a bad idea, as it has no commercials and no stupid FCC fines!
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

He mentioned about going to XM radio, not a bad idea, as it has no commercials and no stupid FCC fines!
If he does, buy shares in it, they'll be an explosion of sales.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Sorry to hear your Stern-Less these days, something like 6 markets was pulled off air.

It was hilarious this morning, they had Arty dressed up in the original Superman costume that Christopher Reeve wore. Howard couldn't stop laughing at Arty with his beer gut, back hair hanging out, his bald spot and his hang-arse pants.

LOL... Artie rocks!!!
I might have to see if I can download some of the more recent shows from winmx or something.
Yes....if living in Rochester wasn't bad enough they took away the only thing that gave me a laugh in the mornings. I don't listen to any US radio now - just put the bbc on through the internet.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 6:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FCC and freedom of speech.

Personally, I think Howard Stern is a pig and I can't stand his show. HOWEVER (big however here) he has been doing the same show for 25 years. All of sudden it's a big deal? This is nothing but work of the Bible thumping, right-wing, conservative, fascists that are pulling the strings that operate George Bush's mouth.

Old Mar 25th 2004, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Seems that you are one of the millions of people who has the intelligence and good sense to self censor anything that you don't want to see or hear Leslie...as are most of us. Seems that the government / FCC do not have the same degree of trust in us all and are doing their best to act as a nanny to us naughty children.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 4:32 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Same as "Bubby The Love Sponge."

I know, a bad name.

But he had show and some guy in Florida complained to the FCC and got him fired. 1 GUY!!!!! He heard the guy interviewing a woman that poses nude on a web site and "Bubby" encouraged all 16 year olds to become webmasters as it's a sure way of getting laid.

The guy in Florida didn't want his 16 year old son corrupted by sexual discussions. Yeah right, like his son doesn't know what sex is. He has a dick, he knows

Change the bloody channel people. If you find it morally wrong to play with your knob, play with the one on the radio and tune in to Christian FM and stop pissing on everyone elses fireworks.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is any freedom of speech or thought over here. People like to say there is, but if you say something that is even mildly controversial there is someone with a thin skin that is going to object/sue you. They should try living in UK for a while and hear what people say there. Trouble is UK is getting too PC there to now, but is less so than USA.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joto
I don't think there is any freedom of speech or thought over here. People like to say there is, but if you say something that is even mildly controversial there is someone with a thin skin that is going to object/sue you. They should try living in UK for a while and hear what people say there. Trouble is UK is getting too PC there to now, but is less so than USA.
Freedom of speech extends to those who:

agree with whoever if President of the United States at the time. To do otherwise is regarded as unpatriotic.

agree with the majority of the populus (the "moral" majority).

I think the main reason that drives censorship and the lack of debate/argument in the mass media is money. That is, broadcasters/newspapers, etc. are scared of loosing viewers/readers and hence income and profits.

I've pretty much given up watching films originally made for the cinema that later get broadcast on TV. With all the editing, you get far from the original product.

At the same time, there's doublestandards on TV where only the most beautiful people present and appear on shows (e.g. men wearing hairpieces, women with "built in airbags", shows like Friends that's hardly close to the real life).

Are there any physically challenged (to be PC) people on TV? What about large people (don't know the PC term)?
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
What about large people (don't know the PC term)?
There is a local lass on our regional NBC affiliate. Big girl....
I think she's kinda fit too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.