British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   FBAR Question - Include spouse? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fbar-question-include-spouse-855742/)

gecko123 Apr 2nd 2015 5:47 pm

FBAR Question - Include spouse?

Hi everyone,

I got married to a US citizen last year and am considered a resident for tax purposes (just submitted our return as married filing jointly). I had a foreign bank account >$10,000 in the last year so as far as I know I am now required to file an FBAR. This account is only in my name, so I am wondering if I need to mention my spouse anywhere in the FBAR? I don't think he needs to file anything since it is not a joint account.

Thanks for any input!!

durham_lad Apr 2nd 2015 5:56 pm

Re: FBAR Question - Include spouse?

Originally Posted by gecko123 (Post 11609510)
Hi everyone,

I got married to a US citizen last year and am considered a resident for tax purposes (just submitted our return as married filing jointly). I had a foreign bank account >$10,000 in the last year so as far as I know I am now required to file an FBAR. This account is only in my name, so I am wondering if I need to mention my spouse anywhere in the FBAR? I don't think he needs to file anything since it is not a joint account.

Thanks for any input!!

As far as I know that is correct. I have a savings account in my name only in the UK and when I file FBAR I don't mention my wife as she has no signature authority over it, and no accounts of her own in the UK.

celticgrid Apr 2nd 2015 7:21 pm

You are fine.

When you complete the FBAR there are separate pages for accounts owned solely and those owned jointly. You only need to mention your spouse where they are a joint account holder, and then only in reference to that account.

gecko123 Apr 4th 2015 3:29 am

Thanks guys! Glad to know I'm on the right path.

durham_lad Apr 4th 2015 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by waleed030 (Post 11610418)

That sounds correct to me, assuming he has no signatory authority on that account of yours.

gecko123 Apr 4th 2015 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 11610679)
That sounds correct to me, assuming he has no signatory authority on that account of yours.

He does not. Unless the fact that we're married automatically implies that (signatory authority)?

durham_lad Apr 4th 2015 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by gecko123 (Post 11610715)
He does not. Unless the fact that we're married automatically implies that (signatory authority)?

It doesn't, you have to go to extra lengths to give signatory authority to someone else. For example my wife and I have IRA's and have set up "Agent Authorisation" for each other.