Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FBAR and money transfers

FBAR and money transfers

Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

jp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nicejp23uk is just really nice
Default FBAR and money transfers

Hi All

Hopefully you can help I am a resident here in the states on a green card for 2 and a half years.

I have never submitted an FBAR form because my uk account never exceeds $10k per year. If I read the requirements correctly I do not need to submit it that correct?

I have a uk account to pay my student loan and to pay some credit card debt I had when I left. I recently got hit with a huge dental bill and put it on my us credit card but am paying 20%! My uk credit card company are offering cash to debit account for 0% 18 months, I was considering doing this and transferring to the US (3k) but do I need to declare this on my tax return?

Thanks

J
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:55 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FBAR and money transfers

A transfer or debit (loan) balance does not need to be declared, but a dental bill might meet the definition of a medical bill and therefore be partially tax-deductible. IIRC medical expenses in excess of (I think) 7% ( or it might be 7.5% or 8%) of your adjusted income is deductible, and not just the major bill, because if this bill luts you over the threashold then any/all other medical expenses for the year are tax deductible (unless funded from a FSA or HSA).