FBAR help

Old May 3rd 2012, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

carmen blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FBAR help

That's what I thought but when I called the IRS, they said they have a formula that they would go through with me. It took a long time (lots of questions to answer) and as well as telling them how many days he was in the USA in 2008, 2009 and 2010. They count the days he was in the USA at 100% for 2010, 33% for 2009 and 1/6 of 2008. They add those up, etc etc. If it's below a certain number, even if he had his visa, he does not need to file taxes for 2010. If he received his green card in 2010 it would be a different story
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

I believe this is the formula (from pub 519):

Substantial Presence Test
You will be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for calendar year 2011. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States on at least:
1. 31 days during 2011, and
2. 183 days during the 3-year period that in- cludes 2011, 2010, and 2009, counting:
a. All the days you were present in 2011, and
b. 1/3 of the days you were present in 2010, and
c. 1/6 of the days you were present in 2009.
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmen blue
If he received his green card in 2010 it would be a different story
What day did he enter the US with his immigrant visa? If it was in 2010, then that IS the day he got his GC. That stamp in his passport - it's an I-551, the same form # as the actual card.

Most people assume that when the GC arrives in the mail, that's the day you got it... but that's not true. It's the stamp in the passport on the day that he arrives that determines his status. The card is only proof of the status... it isn't the status itself.

He may still be exempt for 2010, but once he's a US permanent resident - I'm not sure you can use the "substantial presence" test.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - so frustrating as I spent a long time on the phone with the woman from the IRS and described the immigrant visa stamp in detail (read everything on it to her!). What other exemption could there be? It's not a big deal to file his 2010 taxes (and he won't owe anything) but I hate to pay an accountant to do it. I tried to do it myself but couldn't figure out what kind of deductions he could get (ie we have two children - does he get a percentage of those exemptions for the number of days he was in the US?).
Old May 3rd 2012, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carmen blue
I tried to do it myself but couldn't figure out what kind of deductions he could get (ie we have two children - does he get a percentage of those exemptions for the number of days he was in the US?).
My understanding is that he can file as though he was resident for the entire year... so any deductions can be applied accordingly.

Ian
Old May 6th 2012, 12:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think I already know the answer but wanted to run it past you guys to hear your thoughts.

If I have an account in the UK that has say $20,000, I know I've got to file an FBAR declaring that I have that...etc and so forth.

Now, if I have an account in the UK with $20,000 and then say an account in Ireland with $100, do I then have to file an FBAR for the a) the UK account AND b) the Ireland account, or just the UK account?

It seems to me that all accounts need to be filed, but that's a bit of a much if I have a few tiny accounts left over here and there with a few £s in them.
Old May 6th 2012, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think I already know the answer but wanted to run it past you guys to hear your thoughts.

If I have an account in the UK that has say $20,000, I know I've got to file an FBAR declaring that I have that...etc and so forth.

Now, if I have an account in the UK with $20,000 and then say an account in Ireland with $100, do I then have to file an FBAR for the a) the UK account AND b) the Ireland account, or just the UK account?

It seems to me that all accounts need to be filed, but that's a bit of a much if I have a few tiny accounts left over here and there with a few £s in them.
As I understand it once you reach the $10K...all other accounts must be declared. This includes joint accounts with non USCs/GC holders. For the last few years my daughter (who lives in Canada) has had to declare all her accounts in Canada...which includes all joint accounts with her then Canadian fiance...now husband.

Edit: I have closed several of my smaller UK building society accounts for this very reason.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 6th 2012 at 1:37 pm.
Old May 6th 2012, 2:29 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As I understand it once you reach the $10K...all other accounts must be declared. This includes joint accounts with non USCs/GC holders. For the last few years my daughter (who lives in Canada) has had to declare all her accounts in Canada...which includes all joint accounts with her then Canadian fiance...now husband.

Edit: I have closed several of my smaller UK building society accounts for this very reason.
Yes, this is right. It doesn't matter how it's split but as soon as your total account value outside of the US exceeds $10k, you have to declare ALL accounts that you have signatory authority on. I've rearranged my funds to keep my UK assets below $10k and all in one place to simplify things for myself.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

I just discovered that you can fill in information on the Fbar form and print it out.
I had been printing it out and filling it in by hand before.
The thing is, the info I put in is printing out blue, not black, does anyone think this will be a problem?
Old May 8th 2012, 12:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

No. Ink color is not going to be a problem.

I think you can also file online too
Old May 8th 2012, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by larrabee
The thing is, the info I put in is printing out blue, not black, does anyone think this will be a problem?
It's printing in blue, because that's the embedded font color in the form. It has nothing to do with anything you or your printer is doing.

Ian
Old May 9th 2012, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

nikknakk is an unknown quantity at this point

Do pensions need to be disclosed on the FBAR as well ?
Old May 9th 2012, 11:35 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikknakk
Do pensions need to be disclosed on the FBAR as well ?
It depends on the type of pension. If its a final salary pension wher you have no control over how the money is invested, then that's probably not FBAR reportable, but SIPPs would be reportable because the money is held in trust and you can direct the investements.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the previous answers.
I have a cash ISA with the Post Office, I notice that the money is deposited in the Bank of Ireland UK. Which do you think I should mention as the "name of the financial institution in which account is held"?
(I know I have to declare income form this on my US tax return)
Old May 10th 2012, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

nikknakk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
It depends on the type of pension. If its a final salary pension wher you have no control over how the money is invested, then that's probably not FBAR reportable, but SIPPs would be reportable because the money is held in trust and you can direct the investements.
my pension is a 'personal pension' the pension company said its not sipps but I can change the 'risk' level where it is invested, do you think that qualifies for FBAR reporting ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.