Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Favourite US President?

Favourite US President?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:27 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite US President?

Originally Posted by SarahUK
I heard that Hilary Clinton tried to get a bill passed through congress pushing for reform changes in the healthcare system to make it more similar to the NHS but was, of course, defeated. If she does run in 2008 I would like to see her running the country with Bill as advisor and first husband I think they'd be a great team.

I also have great hopes for Barack Obama after watching his closing speech at the democratic convention I felt like somebody was finally saying all the things that needed to be said. Plus I like the fact that he wa the only non-millionaire running for senate.
I love the concept of Hilary running - and winning. I am sure that she would be an excellent President if the Republican hate machine would let her. The thought of Bill as "First Husband" cracks me up.

Barack Obama is one of the most inspiring speakers I have ever heard. The future holds great things for him if he learns how to duck.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Calvin Coolidge

The political genius of President Coolidge, columnist Walter Lippmann pointed out in 1926, was his talent for effectively doing nothing: "This active inactivity suits the mood and certain of the needs of the country admirably. It suits all the business interests which want to be let alone.... And it suits all those who have become convinced that government in this country has become dangerously complicated and top-heavy...."

---

At his innauguration ball, a woman approached him and said, "My husband bet me that I couldn't get you to say three words."
Coolidge replied, "You lose."

-----
Biography--http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/cc30.html
Attached Thumbnails Favourite US President?-coolidgephoto.jpg  
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by edwords
Calvin Coolidge

The political genius of President Coolidge, columnist Walter Lippmann pointed out in 1926, was his talent for effectively doing nothing: "This active inactivity suits the mood and certain of the needs of the country admirably. It suits all the business interests which want to be let alone.... And it suits all those who have become convinced that government in this country has become dangerously complicated and top-heavy...."

---

At his innauguration ball, a woman approached him and said, "My husband bet me that I couldn't get you to say three words."
Coolidge replied, "You lose."

-----
Biography--http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/cc30.html
oops. Meant "could get you to say three words."
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:16 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by elfman
Lets say some positive things about US presidents for a change!

So who's your favourite US President? Doesn't necessarily have to be the best, but which one do you admire or simply like the most? Whether for achievements during his presidency (or other times), his background, character, or simply for personal reasons, I'm interested to know which one's y'all's (as my MIL says) fave.

Mine's Harry Truman - a man of humble background who rose to the top unexpectedly, after many years as a farmer, businessman, WW1 artillery officer and small town judge. He was supported by dodgy Kansas City businessmen/gangsters but never corrupted by them, and as a rookie senator in Washington he made his name and a reputation for integrity by chairing a commission that rooted out corruption and inefficiency in the arms industry in the first years of WW2.

As president he had to deal with the end of WW2, the atom bomb and recalcitrant soviets. He recognised the state of Israel, supported the creation of the UN and NATO, and was ultimately responsible for the Berlin airlift and the Marshall plan. He ended segregation in the US military and didn't take any crap from General MacArthur when MacArthur wanted to start WW3 in Korea. He also wanted universal health insurance but never got it past congress. Not a perfect man or president, but admirable as both, and when he spoke in folksy/earthy midwest rural aphorisms it was the real deal.

FDR comes a close second.
Harry Truman is also my favorite. He was such a genuine man; sure he had his quirks like his penchant for writing letters to newspapers that published less than favorable comments about his daughter's musical talents; as President, Truman glistened with positive achievments.

The funny thing was Senator Truman never wanted to be Vice President (FDR's Vice President from 1941 to '45) let alone President. Truman was happy as Senator Truman.

In his earlier years he was financially ruined several times, but the nettle and character of the man was such that he always recovered to fight another day ... he even recovered from his disastrous foray into drilling for oil, he bought a rig, hired a crew and drilled until he ran out of money and sold it to someone who quickly struck oil. That must have knocked Truman, he so much wanted to be a successful to bolster his chances of marrying his sweetheart, but there he was, missed out on what should have been his oilstrike, penniless having lost all the money including the money he borrowed form his dear sweetheart. But he recovered, and later married his sweetheart. Truman's letters to his wife/former sweetheart were published some time ago, but Truman's letters that he held back showed how much he sacrificed himself for country, he hated being apart from his wife, who hated DC and politics and insisted on moving back to her home state.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:53 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=elfman]Lets say some positive things about US presidents for a change!

So who's your favourite US President? Doesn't necessarily have to be the best, but which one do you admire or simply like the most? Whether for achievements during his presidency (or other times), his background, character, or simply for personal reasons, I'm interested to know which one's y'all's (as my MIL says) fave.

QUOTE]

I've only experienced one presidency and thus I couldn't comment about any other president including the 4 who have been since i was born. I might have experienced much of clintons foreign relations thus I could say he was popular outside the US.

Here's to Texas best
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:08 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
He was a really GOOD man.

Debs

Thousands and thousands of dead and tortured people in Central America would disagree. However, since this isn't the thread for that, I'll just take a sedative and go away.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:37 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
My Favorite was Ronald Reagan. Boy were those Reaganomic years good for this countries economy! Things were flying back then. I used to love watching him giving a speech or talking to people etc. My ex always said I liked him and everyone else did because he was an actor and that's why he did a great job with people because he was "acting." I don't believe this. I actually saw him in person and I didn't think it was an act. I also liked President Bush. Not the chimp that's there now, but the REAL President Bush. He was a really GOOD man. I also loved his wife and have tons of respect for her. If you want to read a good book sometime, read Barbara Bush's autobiography. She did not lead a charmed life nor did he by any means. They endured quite a bit of hardship and came out shining. That's my two cents or ten pence as you lot call it!

Debs

EXCELLENT THREAD By the way! Nice to see someone starting something POSITIVE to talk about.
Good JOB elfman!
Reagan is my second favorite President. Reagan correctly calculated that he could destroy the USSR by out-stripping, out-maneuvering, and out-bluffing the Kremlin. His "… knock down this wall" speech was electric. Reagan successfully removed the shadow of nuclear war between the west and the USSR. His trip to Red Square and his catch phrase "... but verify" was amazing. Who would have thought Reagan who many believed wanted war in fact would save countless millions and millions of undead people around the world - save countless millions of us from the dread of nuclear annihilation and perhaps billions from a man made nuclear winter that could have followed a massive nuclear exchange between the west and the former USSR. I made it to The Mall in DC to witness Reagan's funeral, it was for me a very moving event, especially when the missing man formation flew overhead – and in the final bit of the air display a jet broke away from a formation and flew on up into the heavens; I have to say seeing that made me speechless.

Last edited by Franklin; Feb 8th 2005 at 8:28 am.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I'm for Bill - he may have had an unfortunate habit of getting his c*ck out at every opportunity, but I thought it made him all the more human.

I used to love to watch Ken Starr frothing at the mouth
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
I'm for Bill - he may have had an unfortunate habit of getting his c*ck out at every opportunity,
Well they all do that, all the best ones that is. Jefferson, Kennedy, Roosevelt....
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:11 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Who would have thought Reagan who many believed wanted war in fact would save countless millions and millions of undead people around the world
I have to that admit Reagan's role as saviour of the world's zombies was not one I was previously aware of.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
I'm for Bill - he may have had an unfortunate habit of getting his c*ck out at every opportunity, but I thought it made him all the more human.

Yes, there used to be a little test thing floating around on the internet, where you had to guess the leader whose background appeared whiter than white. Turned out to be Adolf Hitler....
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
Reagan is my second favorite President.
The 8 years Reagan was in office represented one of the most bloody eras in the history of the Western hemisphere, as Washington funneled money, weapons and other supplies to right wing death squads. And the death toll was staggering - more than 70,000 political killings in El Salvador, more than 100,000 in Guatemala, 30,000 killed in the contra war in Nicaragua. In Washington, the forces carrying out the violence were called "freedom fighters." This is how Ronald Reagan described the Contras in Nicaragua: "They are our brothers, these freedom fighters and we owe them our help. They are the moral equal of our founding fathers."

Fr. Miguel D'Escoto, a Catholic priest based in Managua, Nicaragua.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Clinton, because he could smooze the pants of anybody and sometimes literally did!.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:48 am
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

I love Slick Willy......

er, and I think Clinton was the best president too...

Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The 8 years Reagan was in office represented one of the most bloody eras in the history of the Western hemisphere, as Washington funneled money, weapons and other supplies to right wing death squads. And the death toll was staggering - more than 70,000 political killings in El Salvador, more than 100,000 in Guatemala, 30,000 killed in the contra war in Nicaragua. In Washington, the forces carrying out the violence were called "freedom fighters." This is how Ronald Reagan described the Contras in Nicaragua: "They are our brothers, these freedom fighters and we owe them our help. They are the moral equal of our founding fathers."

Fr. Miguel D'Escoto, a Catholic priest based in Managua, Nicaragua.
Thank you. Some things need to be said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.