Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Favourite US President?

Favourite US President?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:33 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favourite US President?

Lets say some positive things about US presidents for a change!

So who's your favourite US President? Doesn't necessarily have to be the best, but which one do you admire or simply like the most? Whether for achievements during his presidency (or other times), his background, character, or simply for personal reasons, I'm interested to know which one's y'all's (as my MIL says) fave.

Mine's Harry Truman - a man of humble background who rose to the top unexpectedly, after many years as a farmer, businessman, WW1 artillery officer and small town judge. He was supported by dodgy Kansas City businessmen/gangsters but never corrupted by them, and as a rookie senator in Washington he made his name and a reputation for integrity by chairing a commission that rooted out corruption and inefficiency in the arms industry in the first years of WW2.

As president he had to deal with the end of WW2, the atom bomb and recalcitrant soviets. He recognised the state of Israel, supported the creation of the UN and NATO, and was ultimately responsible for the Berlin airlift and the Marshall plan. He ended segregation in the US military and didn't take any crap from General MacArthur when MacArthur wanted to start WW3 in Korea. He also wanted universal health insurance but never got it past congress. Not a perfect man or president, but admirable as both, and when he spoke in folksy/earthy midwest rural aphorisms it was the real deal.

FDR comes a close second.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:44 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite US President?

Clinton.

He was a bit dodgy with some things but good at the PR.
Wish he was still in there now.

Bit of a no brainer question this, he'll probably get the popular vote.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:19 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

John Adams-helped get this show on the road and he had the courage of his convictions.
Lincoln-for obvious reasons. Had he not died before his time, healing the wounds caused by the Civil War would have been quicker and easier.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
Clinton.

He was a bit dodgy with some things but good at the PR.
Wish he was still in there now.

Bit of a no brainer question this, he'll probably get the popular vote.

I vote Bill as well
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:18 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

It's got to be Ronnie!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Dan & Pigtails:

any particular reason?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Dan & Pigtails:

any particular reason?
Yes, Bill beacuse he was definately a statesman. Got on well with the rest of the world and was imho a very well balanced president. Good for the whole world. Unlike Dubbya who is single handedly destroying the US economy, world relations, and the world itself. Twat!

Does anyone on this board actually support Dubbya at all???
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:48 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Dan725
Yes, Bill beacuse he was definately a statesman. Got on well with the rest of the world and was imho a very well balanced president. Good for the whole world. Unlike Dubbya who is single handedly destroying the US economy, world relations, and the world itself. Twat!

Does anyone on this board actually support Dubbya at all???
Yes a couple of people spring to mind.

Valid reasons Dan, but I was actually hoping people would keep the Dubya slagging to a minimum on this thread. Lets hear positive stuff!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cindyabs
John Adams-helped get this show on the road and he had the courage of his convictions.
Lincoln-for obvious reasons. Had he not died before his time, healing the wounds caused by the Civil War would have been quicker and easier.

Lincoln....

The man who did away with Habeus Corpus so he could imprison his political opponents.

The man who freed all the slaves in states that were in rebellion with the Union, not the Union states some of whom still had slave owners in.

John Wilkes Booth did the US a favour when he shot the tyrant.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

I agree with Dan's comments. Prez Clinton was a great guy.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Guggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really niceGuggler is just really nice

Richard Milhous Nixon.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Lincoln....

The man who did away with Habeus Corpus so he could imprison his political opponents.

The man who freed all the slaves in states that were in rebellion with the Union, not the Union states some of whom still had slave owners in.

John Wilkes Booth did the US a favour when he shot the tyrant.
Who were the political opponents he imprisoned?
Sorry, I thought the Emanciaption Proclamation applied to all of the states.
I stand by my statement that the South would have had an easier time of it after the War had he not died.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:15 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Lets say some positive things about US presidents for a change!

So who's your favourite US President?
Clinton in recent times. Balancing the budget in this debt ridden country has to be a 5 star achievement. Not going to war to enhance your chances of re-election - nice concept.

Reagan for defying the odds and closing down the Iron Curtain without starting a nuclear war.

Carter for everything he has done since being President.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:24 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I liked FDR for his fireside chats and "chicken in every pot, car in every garage" beliefs. I like the way the guy was in a wheelchair but still managed to come across as a physically strong and enduring man. I think he was the first prez to go 'on tour' as it were, visiting all different parts of the country via train and giving speeches to the gathered people.

I heard that Hilary Clinton tried to get a bill passed through congress pushing for reform changes in the healthcare system to make it more similar to the NHS but was, of course, defeated. If she does run in 2008 I would like to see her running the country with Bill as advisor and first husband I think they'd be a great team.

I also have great hopes for Barack Obama after watching his closing speech at the democratic convention I felt like somebody was finally saying all the things that needed to be said. Plus I like the fact that he wa the only non-millionaire running for senate.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

I'd have to throw my vote in for Jefferson. Philosopher, scientist, statesman, ambassador - true rennaisance man. Love the quote from Kennedy to a dinner for nobel prize winners that "more brainpower was gathered in the White House for that occasion than ever before in history, except perhaps when Thomas Jefferson dined alone" (or words to that effect).

If you are ever near Monticello, it is truly worth a visit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.