Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

favourite books

favourite books

Old Dec 5th 2003, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
I recently went through a bit of a WWII fiction and non fiction stage Birdsong was great, as was Charlotte Gray (fairly different to the film) Early One Morning by Roberty Ryan was quite good as was Under an English Heaven by Robert Radcliffe.

In the non-fiction, (although Early one Morning is based around real characters) I recently read If This is A Man by Primo Levi.

It's a book about the authors experience in Auschwitz (Monowitz-Buna) and is compelling, factual and gives you a very real impression of day to day life and survival in the camps.

It's one of those books you are glad to have read, despite the heartbreaking subject matter.
I read the Primo Levi book as well. It's really a good book. It gets even closer if you know that Primo Levi suffered from severe depressions all his life and finally committed suicide.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 8:38 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Normally i have a few on the go at any one time. currently Nigel Hamiltons bio of Clinton 'An American Journey', Tom Clancy executive orders (read it before but it makes me laugh and is fun), and Akhil Reed Amar 'The Bill of Rights'.

My wife wont let me in the bookstore as i always buy something and now she has 30% staff discount the temptations enormous!

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Duncs
Normally i have a few on the go at any one time. currently Nigel Hamiltons bio of Clinton 'An American Journey', Tom Clancy executive orders (read it before but it makes me laugh and is fun), and Akhil Reed Amar 'The Bill of Rights'.

My wife wont let me in the bookstore as i always buy something and now she has 30% staff discount the temptations enormous!

regards,

Duncan
I know what you mean. My son and I are voracious readers. When he was still living at home it was nothing for us to go to the bookstore on a Sat morning and come away after having spent $70 or more/
Old Dec 6th 2003, 4:29 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by effi
I know what you mean. My son and I are voracious readers. When he was still living at home it was nothing for us to go to the bookstore on a Sat morning and come away after having spent $70 or more/
easily done. My book collection is still on its way from britain and should be here soon but when i got it valued for insurance it was over $20,000 worth which suprised me.

wait until i retire i will have the value of a house in books!

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 6th 2003, 8:57 am
Just Joined

freddiesfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: favourite books

Anyone out there reading a good book right now?

I have just bought Jeffrey Archers new book, 'Sons of Fortune' and am looking forward to starting it. He is a bit of a dork in real life, but he writes a good story, I am sure it will not disappoint.

So, anyone got anything they would recommend?

Oh my goodness, do I have a recommendation for you...
In the USA it is called the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, and in the UK it is Cross stitch by Diana Gabaldon.
They are fantastic. Go to the Diana Gabaldon website and you can read a couple of exerpts.
There are 5 books in the series, and I would say that once you get past the 1st 100 pages of book 1 you will not be able to put them down.
Deb
Old Dec 6th 2003, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: favourite books

Anyone out there reading a good book right now?

I have just bought Jeffrey Archers new book, 'Sons of Fortune' and am looking forward to starting it. He is a bit of a dork in real life, but he writes a good story, I am sure it will not disappoint.

So, anyone got anything they would recommend?

I am reading...

"Living and working if Florida" by David Hampshire

"buying a house in Florida" by David Hampshire

I also have around 500 pages, that i have printed off, from this site.

when I don't research my American future, I read FHM.

But my wife reads books.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

croesx is an unknown quantity at this point

Any Non-Fiction by Joan Didion:

White Album
Slouching Towards Bethlehem
After Henry
Where I Was From
Fixed Ideas