Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

favourite books

favourite books

Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default favourite books

Anyone out there reading a good book right now?

I have just bought Jeffrey Archers new book, 'Sons of Fortune' and am looking forward to starting it. He is a bit of a dork in real life, but he writes a good story, I am sure it will not disappoint.

So, anyone got anything they would recommend?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:56 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

Tom Clancy's The Teeth of the Tiger, great book, the man just keeps churning the good ones out. Maybe the US gov should read his books sometime, they may get a clearer picture of world threat
Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hopping to get a book called "Of rats and men" in my xmas stocking. Its all about Mayor Oscar Goodman of Las Vegas and his previous career as a mob lawyer.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Maccioni family cookbook - fantastic.

Tuscan-native Maccioni, writing with Kaminsky (The Elements of Taste), offers recipes served in her family's famous New York restaurants, Le Cirque and Osteria del Circo. While the narrative, memoir-ish format lacks spark ("Recipes from a Tuscan Childhood," "Sirio's Favorites," "New York," and "Restaurant" are some of the section headings), the recipes themselves are solid-and Zeschin's beautiful colorful photos are enough to whet anyone's appetite. The dishes include a refreshing Panzanella (bread salad) with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and Tuscan bread; My Turkey Stuffing (one of the few American adaptations), made with sausage, chicken livers, mortadella, eggs, chestnuts and black truffle; Ricotta and Spinach Ravioli, sauteed in butter and sage; and for dessert or a snack, Schiacciata con L'Uva, grapes and sugar rolled into pizza dough and baked. This is a perfect book of comfort food for the fall and winter.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: favourite books

Originally posted by effi

I have just bought Jeffrey Archers new book, 'Sons of Fortune' and am looking forward to starting it. He is a bit of a dork in real life, but he writes a good story, I am sure it will not disappoint.

Killing Floor by Lee Child, great book!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what kind of book style you like really.

I've just finished Cold Mountain which is not at all bad. If you like a chick book similar to Bridget Jones Diary then Good In Bed is an entertaining read. In that same vein Big Stone Gap and the following books are also good.

If you like spys etc The Bourne Identity is good as are the sequels. I always found James Patterson books entertaining reads if sometimes formulaic.

If you are not averse to "childrens books" then Philip Pullmans "His Dark Materials" trilogy is a must. It is a very compelling story and very well written.

If you want some over the top SAS escapism Andy McNabb tells a good if somewhat far fetched tale

Have you checked out the Big Read they are doing on the BBC - The Big Read

Check out the nations top 100 there are sure to be some you will like in there.

I'm a big reader, my favourites are the classics but I really wanted to broaden my reading horizons lately so I've simply been picking up a couple of books each time I go to costco. There have been a few stinkers but for the most part not too bad.

I'm currently reading a bodice ripper which is giving me a chuckle. A story about a prostitute on the streets of London in the 1700's, slightly reminiscent of a Catherine Cookson book.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by effi

Wittgenstein's Poker by David Edmonds & John Eidinson
About the controversy between Karl Popper and Ludwig Wittgenstein in 1946 at Cambridge, where Wittgenstein apparently threatened Popper with a red-hot poker over a philosophic dispute. Very entertaining and interesting, if you are slightly interested in philosophy.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bookworm
Wittgenstein's Poker by David Edmonds & John Eidinson
About the controversy between Karl Popper and Ludwig Wittgenstein in 1946 at Cambridge, where Wittgenstein apparently threatened Popper with a red-hot poker over a philosophic dispute. Very entertaining and interesting, if you are slightly interested in philosophy.
Nah, think I will pass on that one, but thanks.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm nearly done reading Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phoenix. Not bad, but Prisoner of Azkaban is still the best.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 2:42 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Depends what kind of book style you like really.

I've just finished Cold Mountain which is not at all bad. If you like a chick book similar to Bridget Jones Diary then Good In Bed is an entertaining read. In that same vein Big Stone Gap and the following books are also good.

If you like spys etc The Bourne Identity is good as are the sequels. I always found James Patterson books entertaining reads if sometimes formulaic.

If you are not averse to "childrens books" then Philip Pullmans "His Dark Materials" trilogy is a must. It is a very compelling story and very well written.

If you want some over the top SAS escapism Andy McNabb tells a good if somewhat far fetched tale

Have you checked out the Big Read they are doing on the BBC - The Big Read

Check out the nations top 100 there are sure to be some you will like in there.

I'm a big reader, my favourites are the classics but I really wanted to broaden my reading horizons lately so I've simply been picking up a couple of books each time I go to costco. There have been a few stinkers but for the most part not too bad.

I'm currently reading a bodice ripper which is giving me a chuckle. A story about a prostitute on the streets of London in the 1700's, slightly reminiscent of a Catherine Cookson book.
I just finished reading 'last light' by Andy Mcnab, not bad but I prefer Chris Ryan books (the one that got away Author).
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:03 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

"The DaVinci Code" is sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read...

- Most powerful book I have read is Sebastian Faulks' "Birdsong", although "The Lovely Bones" came a close second
- Favourite kids books: "The Chronicles of Narnia"
- Favourite easy read: anything by Anita Shreve
- Favourite bios: anything with a conspiracy twist: Diana, JFK, Marilyn, etc...
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
"The DaVinci Code" is sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read...

- Most powerful book I have read is Sebastian Faulks' "Birdsong", although "The Lovely Bones" came a close second
- Favourite kids books: "The Chronicles of Narnia"
- Favourite easy read: anything by Anita Shreve
- Favourite bios: anything with a conspiracy twist: Diana, JFK, Marilyn, etc...
I have been looking at the DaVinci code but cannot make up my mind. Let me know what it is like. I want the Katherine Hepburn autobiography, maybe Santa will bring it for me, I have dropped enough hints.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Paul&Dawn is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just read The Da Vinci Code, and can highly recommend it.

I love reading Dickens' A Christmas Carol at this time of year. Helps me to get into the christmas spirit.

If you want a good laugh, though, anything by Terry Pratchett is great!

Dawn
Old Dec 5th 2003, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt is a great read. Also, Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose is amazing ... couldn't put that one down. Just finished reading DDay also by Stephen ambrose ... good book too, a bit disturbing and not as easy a read as the others but interesting for any history buffs out there.

Looking forward to getting Birdsong and the LOTR trilogy from Santa this year

Anyone have any other WWII (fiction & non-fiction) they could recommend?
Old Dec 5th 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by swingin scot
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt is a great read. Also, Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose is amazing ... couldn't put that one down. Just finished reading DDay also by Stephen ambrose ... good book too, a bit disturbing and not as easy a read as the others but interesting for any history buffs out there.

Looking forward to getting Birdsong and the LOTR trilogy from Santa this year

Anyone have any other WWII (fiction & non-fiction) they could recommend?

I recently went through a bit of a WWII fiction and non fiction stage Birdsong was great, as was Charlotte Gray (fairly different to the film) Early One Morning by Roberty Ryan was quite good as was Under an English Heaven by Robert Radcliffe.

In the non-fiction, (although Early one Morning is based around real characters) I recently read If This is A Man by Primo Levi.

It's a book about the authors experience in Auschwitz (Monowitz-Buna) and is compelling, factual and gives you a very real impression of day to day life and survival in the camps.

It's one of those books you are glad to have read, despite the heartbreaking subject matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.