Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Favorite American Foods

Favorite American Foods

Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:42 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Favorite American Foods

There’s a place called Lil Porgys in central Illinois that is the s**t when it comes to BBQ. Anyone near it should check them out. Man I would kill for some right now.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:47 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
There’s a place called Lil Porgys in central Illinois that is the s**t when it comes to BBQ.
You could say it's the Bess
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:31 pm
Banned

RaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really nice

How about Portello's
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RaiseTheDead
My horses go to Miami to race in the winter and when i'm down there I eat at Fat Boys Bar B Que at least once a week..
Damn......horses huh. No wonder you can only afford Long John's for your out of town guests
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:36 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, the best American foods:

1. Good Kansas City-style BBQ. Particularly pulled pork. South Carolina mustard-based stuff and Tex/Mex style barbacoa is up there as well.
2. Gumbo, etouffee, shrimp po'boys, red beans and rice and Cajun cornbread.
3. Real new England clambake. I'm talking dig a giant hole in a beach, bury layers of clams and lobsters with seaweed and let it steam for hours. Add a metric ton of drawn butter and you've got it.
4. Chicago pizza. Preferably from Giordano's or Lou Malnati's. New York style is even better, but probably a rip-off of the classic Neopolitan style, Chicago is definitively American. Come to think of it, New Haven CT may have the best pizza in the states.
5. A porterhouse steak. Preferably prime. A little salt and pepper, nothing else. 600 degree char on the outside, rare red in the middle. To consume with a good California cab and some creamed spinach.
6. A Greek-owned diner with a ten-page menu after a hard night of drinking. Formica tabletops, endless coffee, hash browns and omelettes the size of the plate. After living in Korea for a while, I wanted a real American breakfast more than anything else by the time I came back.
7. Ice cream in Boston has to be the best in the states. I've had some gelato in Italy that can compare (it's different but equal quality), but Herrell's in Cambridge or Libby's in Waltham are incomparable in the States.